Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
So umm...there's this hole in centerfield...

If Lillibredge is the guy they're hoping will turn in to a leadoff hitter (Solid sb %age, at least in the past has shown good OBP numbers although last year was a disaster for him), then I could see KW rolling the dice on Anderson in CF again, if he can force Ozzie to actually play him.

But, this also clears cash.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
If Lillibredge is the guy they're hoping will turn in to a leadoff hitter (Solid sb %age, at least in the past has shown good OBP numbers although last year was a disaster for him), then I could see KW rolling the dice on Anderson in CF again, if he can force Ozzie to actually play him.

Agreed, keep in mind that Lillibridge has played some center too.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
Got any names to throw out there? Furcal? Sabbathia? Im stretching on that last one, but we do need some pitching. Maybe Burnett?

Thankfully, I don't even have to flip out and panic at the suggestion, because this team is simply too smart to throw 4+ year deals at pitchers, let alone pitchers with horrid injury histories.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
Thankfully, I don't even have to flip out and panic at the suggestion, because this team is simply too smart to throw 4+ year deals at pitchers, let alone pitchers with horrid injury histories.

But there are a few pretty good SP's out there that would only command 3 year deals......

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)

I wouldn't mind BA in center, say, if you actually had a legit leadoff hitter or signed a guy like Furcal to play short.

Jon Garland could be a guy the Sox rebuy at a low point on. He doesn't have the stuff of Javy but he's been a league average pitcher throughout his career and at times has been just above league average. He also always gives innings and is comfortable. I could totally see Garland back on the southside.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
But there are a few pretty good SP's out there that would only command 3 year deals......

Sheets? Lowe?

I could definitely see Lowe coming here, but Sheets is a very intriguing (and risky) target.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)

Kenny Williams has said he's going to cut payroll. Why do we expect them to not let the young guys compete for roster spots?

If I'm wrong, how about Garland returning?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
Jon Garland could be a guy the Sox rebuy at a low point on. He doesn't have the stuff of Javy but he's been a league average pitcher throughout his career and at times has been just above league average. He also always gives innings and is comfortable. I could totally see Garland back on the southside.

Garland will prob accept arb from the Angels.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 06:12 AM)
Not to mention Buehrle is....

1) Much better with the press, and more likely to take responsibility for poor starts, show anger and emotion...not talk about his "comfy life" or "doing better next time"

2) World Series/playoff performances

3) Decade in the White Sox organization (last truly homegrown pitcher to make it from Draft Day to All-Star level success)

4) His leadership

5) His colorful personality, sense of humor and "tarp sliding"

Javy has proven he really doesn't care if he does good or bad at the end of the day. Buehrle has blamed other factors for losses so statement #1 is pretty false. Or do you not remember the Texas debacle?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
Uribe $4.5 million

Crede $5.5 million

Cabrera $9 million

Vazquez $11.5 million

Hall $2 million

Swisher $5.5 million

That's a lot of cash off the books. While they said payroll will be lower in 2009, it can't be THAT much lower. Something big is going to happen.

I would add Dye's salary in there as well.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
Kenny Williams has said he's going to cut payroll. Why do we expect them to not let the young guys compete for roster spots?

If I'm wrong, how about Garland returning?

They might cut over 40M in payroll. I expect at least half of that to be invested in CY additions and that gives you ample room to add another couple quality pieces.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
Well, we DO know there is going to be a hole in either RF or LF depending on where they put Q. Of course KW would rather be a more athletic team.

Dunn's not a bad athlete, but he is a horrible OF. I think KW will stay away from him because he is the all or nothing type. Unless he can unload one or two of his current all or nothing types.

I mean seriously, this would clear about 10 million bucks here right? Swisher cleared about 5? We have OC and Uribe gone clearing 15? We should have some money to spend, even if the economy's in the tank.

edit: way beaten.

Edited by R.J.