Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

Waiting to hear who the pitcher is, but Lillibridge is considered a solid SS prospect which is nice. He could also play 2B or CF and in general gives the Sox depth at a position where they need help. Just over a year ago he was a pretty highly touted prospect as well, not as toolsy as Escobar but some rated him on par as Escobar. Flowers is the key piece thus far as he is a legitimate catching prospect who would likely be major league ready as AJ starts to detiorate.

So if the pitcher is someone with upside I'd be quite happy, especially given how the Sox have not given up any cash. THey are getting two legitimate starters, one who has the tools to be an above average leadoff hitter (albeit I wouldnt' make any guarantees of such) and a catcher with the potential upside to be a #5 hitter.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
I mean seriously, this would clear about 10 million bucks here right? Swisher cleared about 5? We have OC and Uribe gone clearing 15? We should have some money to spend, even if the economy's in the tank.

edit: way beaten.

The interesting thing is many believe the middle tier players will be the ones squeezed due to the economy. KW may be able to get multiple bargains for multiple years if he's able to wait it out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Dunn's not a bad athlete, but he is a horrible OF. I think KW will stay away from him because he is the all or nothing type. Unless he can unload one or two of his current all or nothing types.

A year of Dunn in LF followed by 3 or 4 at DH would be ideal, this is assuming of course that Dye is traded.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
The interesting thing is many believe the middle tier players will be the ones squeezed due to the economy. KW may be able to get multiple bargains for multiple years if he's able to wait it out.

Right, many believe Abreu, for instance, will be lucky to get 8 mil a year. The top guys like CC, Tex etc will still get huge contracts, but the second tier guys will not be getting overpaid.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
Can we please stop f***ing merging the threads. Goddamn.

I split the entire thing and plan on resplitting it so that there is a closed thread with pretrade discussion and than a thread which starts from when the trade was first reported because I want to be able to jump straight into discussion based upon a finalized/near finalized deal.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
Why would we trade Dye and then sign Dunn? Unless we were doing it for the spects, that's pretty much a similar player.

Dunn is younger, has a career .381 OBP to go along with a .518 Slug%, so if you can trade Dye to fill the CF whole and/or a young starter and then sign Dunn to bat thrid you arent losing much offensively or defensively while filling holes, plus he wasnt offered arb.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
I split the entire thing and plan on resplitting it so that there is a closed thread with pretrade discussion and than a thread which starts from when the trade was first reported because I want to be able to jump straight into discussion based upon a finalized/near finalized deal.

So the thread has been Gage'd a few times?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
A year of Dunn in LF followed by 3 or 4 at DH would be ideal, this is assuming of course that Dye is traded.

I hate Dunn but I think he'd be a really good pickup if we moved Dye. He could slide in real nice as Thome's replacement. Plus I believe this team is setting itself up nicely for the next few years, although this year might be a bit interesting since there will be a heavier than usual reliance on unproven talent.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
Why would we trade Dye and then sign Dunn? Unless we were doing it for the spects, that's pretty much a similar player.

Dunn is 6 years younger than Jermaine, Dye is only signed for 1 more year and the Sox are going to need a DH in 2010. Makes sense to me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
So the thread has been Gage'd a few times?

Nope, I spent like 20 minutes splitting it and than someone else merged it and I'm not about to go back through that process, especially when I'm at work. For once I did good or so I think, haha.

Did Mark Gonzales take English 101?

White Sox to trade Vazquez to Braves

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

6:19 PM CST, December 2, 2008

The White Sox are on the verge of completing a five-player trade that would send mercurial pitcher Javier Vazquez to Atlanta.

A major-league source confirmed Vazquez and struggling left-handed reliever Boone Logan would be sent to Atlanta, and that the Sox would receive speedy infielder Brent Lillibridge.

Atlanta isn't on Vazquez's list of nine teams to w hich he can block a trade and that the trade puts him closer to his native Puerto Rico? Thanks.

Sox general manager Ken Williams thoroughly scouts the Arizona Fall League, where catcher/first baseman Tyler Flowers tore up the AFL by hitting .387 with 12 home runs and 23 RBIs in 20 games for the Mesa Solar Sox.

Although Flowers, 22, is about two years away from the majors, he has displayed potential with a .427 on-base percentage to go with a .288 batting average with 17 home runs and 88 RBIs at Class-A Myrtle Beach last summer.

By acquiring Lillibridge, 25, the Sox would add much-needed speed. Lillibridge stole 42 bases in the minors in 2007. He struggled at Triple-A Richmond and with Atlanta in 2008 but still stole 25 bases in 119 games.

The 6-foot-4-inch, 245-pound Flowers would give the Sox a bona fide top-flight starting catching prospect, although scouts agree his defense needs work.

The Sox are expected to get a young pitching prospect to complete the deal. The Braves reportly were unwilling to move Tommy Hanson as part of a Jake Peavy deal, and left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes's 52 walks in 113 innings doesn't fit Williams' profile.