Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
I'd take Santos and Gilmore over Morton, but if we could get Morton and Gilmore, talk about high way robbery. Also, if the second player we were including was anyone major, we'd have heard rumors.

Gilmore isnt all that great, Morton is a much better prize.

KW could have done VERY well here.

And with this move, we've saved about $15-$16M in salary from dumping Swisher and Vazquez.

Even if our payroll goes down for 2009, we could have a LOT of payroll flexibility for 2010.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
Here is Jon Gilmore's perfect game profile:

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerp...e.aspx?ID=16827

I really hope we get him after reading that scouting report. He sounds like he has a ton of potential and is a hard-nosed ball player as well.

Jon Gilmore has Donald Trump hair.

Just think, we trade the s***tiest haircut on the team and now we end up with Beckham and Gilmore? Awesome. I hope Viciedo comes into ST rockin' a mullet, then we'll be in business.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)

From everything I have read, Gilmore has a s*** load of potential, and I liked his swing from what I saw in the scouting video. I'd take him alone over Morton.

The AJC's Dave O'Brien reports that the White Sox will get Tyler Flowers, Brent Lillibridge, Jon Gilmore and Santos Rodriguez from the Braves for Javier Vazquez and Boone Logan.

Incredibly, the White Sox won't be getting back any advanced pitching in the deal, though Rodriguez does have a live arm. Flowers is a significant talent and Lillibridge is probably better than he showed last season, but this still looks like a nice deal for Atlanta.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)

Gilmore was a first round pick in 07 and has put up very good numbers in the minors plus he's supposed to have all the tools necessary of a gold glove 3rd baseman. What isn't to like.

Kenny loves the AFL;

One White Sox scout said he was “praying” that Chicago got Flowers. White Sox general manager Kenny Williams lives in Arizona and lauded the Braves’ prospect after seeing one of Flowers’ power-hitting displays in the Fall League.

It's gonna suck if we wake up in the morning and find out either Vazquez failed his physical and we were going to get back Lillibridge, Flowers, Gilmore, and Morton, or if these rumors are way off and we end up with Lillibridge, Flowers, and f***ing Jo Jo Reyes (which would still be a nice haul, but a major disappointment from all these other names flying around).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:27 AM)
Gilmore was a first round pick in 07 and has put up very good numbers in the minors plus he's supposed to have all the tools necessary of a gold glove 3rd baseman. What isn't to like.

but morton is the next jack mcdowell!

i'm trying to illustrate here how out of wack my expectations of this prospect are. =)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)
The money saved will though.

Rock a couple of things, First I think they are just saving money, not necessarily going to use it. We will see. Second, why another shortstop? We are moving rameriz over and we have beckham in a couple of years. Seems crazy to think Lillibridge is the center of this. Just seems a bit off. I am certianly not against this trade, just don't understand the package in return.

This trade is looking like a winner for both teams, IMO. Vazquez is a lot better then people give him credit for around here, and while we get back a lot of talent, the major pieces (Flowers, Gilmore, and Rodriguez) won't be ready for a couple more years, and even then, they're still question marks.

Gilmore's draft report card;

Hitting Ability: Gilmore showed a better approach at the plate during this showcase than he had in the past. He adjusted well to offspeed stuff and showed good extension through the zone.

Power: Gilmore has projectable raw power.

Running Speed: He's a below-average runner.

Arm Strength: Gilmore's arm seemed tired or labored during the showcase.

Fielding: Gilmore was a little slow defensively with an almost casual approach.

Range: The lack of quickness showed and his range was limited.

Physical Description: Gilmore has an Aaron Boone-body type and has changed physically in the past year, looking stronger now.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Offensive potential, with power and overall hitting ability projection.

Weaknesses: His defensive game is behind his bat and was lackluster with the glove at this showcase.

Summary: Gilmore improved at the plate tremendously in his senior season. The infielder has good raw power and showed a better overall approach in his offensive game. His defense isn't as sharp, but he will be drafted because of his bat potential.

I like the idea that we are getting some exciting prospects here, re-loading the farm, and didnt really have to give up any core players or fan favorites. Swish and Vazquez were basically disappointing players and by no means are crucial pieces to the puzzle. Vazquez ability to eat innings will be missed, but hopefully the sox can find another 200+ IP guy with an ERA lower than 4.67 who can beat teams other than the Royals and A's. As the roster currently stands this team does not look remotely like a pennant contender, but it doesn't quite look like an all out firesale/rebuild either. Also it appears that the sox now currently have some payroll flexibility to round out the roster for this year, if KW is so inclined.

I guess the point I am try to make is that I like the fact the KW has rid this team of essentially dead weight. While it trims some payroll, not the biggest of contract committals, it still leaves the the team rather competitive, but adds a base of future talent as well. We will see where KW goes from here, but its worth noting that Thome and Dye both come off books after 09. See the trend here.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
Kenny loves the AFL;

sure does....even if the kid hits only 10 HR in the bigs (unlikely given his power numbers so far), the kid walked 98 times in 510 plate appearances, and if he can be a catcher in the bigs with a .370 obp hes gonna be a helluva big leaguer

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
but its worth noting that Thome and Dye both come off books after 09. See the trend here.

JD still has an option year in 2010, it's affordable ($12 million for the option vs. $1 million buyout), the only reason we wouldn't pick that up is if he got hurt or was way down next year.

this was pre draft 2007 on gilmore

Scouts were excited to see Gilmore this spring after he tore up the showcase circuit last summer, including a double off a Michael Main fastball at the Aflac Classic and a stellar performance at the Area Code Games. But they've had a hard time getting a read on him because he strained a hamstring and has faced weaker-than-usual competition in Iowa. He still might go in the second or third round, but the team that picks him that high will be doing so on the basis of what it has seen in the past. He stands out most for his exceedingly quick bat and his power potential. Gilmore is 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds, and while he's a good athlete who drew interest from college football programs as a quarterback, a move from shortstop to third base is inevitable, either in pro ball or at Wichita State if he doesn't sign. He has the arm strength to make the longer throws from the hot corner, and his bat will play there as well. Gilmore has two brothers-in-law with baseball connections: Ben Zobrist has played in the majors the last two years with the Devil Rays, while Dan Heefner is the hitting coach at Dallas Baptist.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
I like Flowers a lot, and have heard nothing but terrible things about how Lillibridge looked this season. It will be nice if the other two players involved are top 10-15 prospects in our system. KW better use this freed up money though.

Hopefully KW wouldn't have made this move if they thought Lillibridge was unsalvageable.

Well, the obvious concern now becomes the rotation. Maybe they know something about Contreras' comeback we don't, but that is still not the long-term solution.

Right now, our last two spots in the rotation are filled with Richard/Poreda/Carrasco/Marquez/Broadway/Egbert and any other names you want to throw in there.

It certainly puts some pressure on KW to sign a FA fifth starter from the scrap heap, because other teams are going to see our obvious position of weakness...we've gone from 6 starters to 3 now, and I'm sure that makes Williams feel a little insecure.

Interesting the Angels offered Garland arbitration...sort of a surprise, but maybe not.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
Can someone PLEASE tell me what we got back (or the latest solid rumor)?

hard to tell for sure...but based just about everything being reported...we are getting Flowers and Lillibridge for sure along with 2 extra players

Atlanta Journal const. says the other two players are Jon Gilmore (not the old bears tight end) and Santos Rodriguez, while Rock keeps hearing from his source that Morton is one of the two