Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
lol, I kind of jumbled my thoughts there. A lot of going on today. I doubt we'd go and sign both Furcal and Dunn. I was just thinking I would love to get Dunn, but if that were the scenario, Furcal would be unlikely. However, if I want to get my ps3 up and running...

1. Furcal, SS

2. Ramirez, CF

3. Quentin, RF

4. Thome, DH

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Dunn, LF

7. Fields/Betemit, 3B

8. Pierzynski, C

9. Getz/Lillibridge, 2B

That's a nice lookin' lineup right there, if you ask me. The only problem is that your looking at probably at least 250 K's, but likely more, from the 5 and 6 spots together.

that would be pretty nice...especially if we could get a young pitcher + another prospect for dye...theres an awful lot of on base ability in that lineup with dunn, thome, quentin...i wouldnt sweat the K's too much though, but you are right, dunn, fields thome and alexei could help lead that team to mlb records in Ks...whatever though..my personal feelings towards Ks are rather well documented around here, so it wouldnt bother me too much

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:09 PM)
Or a 2 year deal for Manny Ramirez to play LF and DH occasionally, with Quentin moved to RF in the reported Dye trade.

Can you imagine Manny, Quentin, Thome and Konerko as the middle of the line-up?

Doubt it would happen, but nice to dream. And I wouldn't count out either Nix or Viciedo quite yet.

I'd rather not have a POS like Ramirez on my team, no matter how good of a hitter he was.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
that would be pretty nice...especially if we could get a young pitcher + another prospect for dye...theres an awful lot of on base ability in that lineup with dunn, thome, quentin...i wouldnt sweat the K's too much though, but you are right, dunn, fields thome and alexei could help lead that team to mlb records in Ks...whatever though..my personal feelings towards Ks are rather well documented around here, so it wouldnt bother me too much

Viciedo figures in here somewhere too as a power source for sure...

I don't think Abreu (age, will want $45/3 years) and Dunn (too one dimensional for KW's new "vision") are the best fits.

I think someone like Juan Rivera (if Dye is indeed traded) makes the best sense for 2 years in LF.

Edited by caulfield12

I don't know why you included Ramirez. He doesn't K a lot, and hopefully that number continues to decrease with his development as a major leaguer.

Alexei makes very good contact, actually some of the best contact in the Sox organization. His K numbers last year may actually be high for him given his rough start and late-season wear-down.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
A guy Kenny has wanted in the past is Abreu and the Yankees didnt offer arbitration.

If KW could trade Dye for a good young starter with upside, and then sign Abreu to say a 2 year deal, I think he's done pretty well there.

Certainly a scenario to consider.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
Or a 2 year deal for Manny Ramirez to play LF and DH occasionally, with Quentin moved to RF in the reported Dye trade.

Can you imagine Manny, Quentin, Thome and Konerko as the middle of the line-up?

Doubt it would happen, but nice to dream. And I wouldn't count out either Nix or Viciedo quite yet.

I know you're daydreaming but I'm getting the impression you're stoned right now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Viciedo figures in here somewhere too as a power source for sure...

I don't think Abreu (age, will want $45/3 years) and Dunn (too one dimension for KW's new "vision") are the best fits.

I think someone like Juan Rivera (if Dye is indeed traded) makes the best sense for 2 years in LF.

It's safe to say that much of KW's vision is towards the future. Dunn makes for an ideal Thome replacement as DH in 2010 and going forward. While he may not be in the Sox plans, I wouldn't be surprised if he is.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
Hopefully we can get someone like Abreu. But i do like the idea of Dunn if he's moderately affordable, plays LF next year and DH once Thome is gone.

Abreu wants three years. I for one don't want to pay him $15M for his Age 35-Age 37 seasons, not when Dunn (29 next year) is available.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
Abreu wants three years. I for one don't want to pay him $15M for his Age 35-Age 37 seasons, not when Dunn (29 next year) is available.

I also want 1 million a year working part time, doesn't mean I'll get it. 2 years 16-18 mill for Abreu would be a good deal.

Who knows with KW, maybe he's developing a plan for a Furcal + Abreu, thatd be solid :)

You're taking something of a gamble hoping Dunn can adjust to the AL quickly, but that also would give us pretty perfect L/R balance in the middle of the order. Dunn at least is still pretty close to the prime of his career.

Once again, not much interest in Abreu at anything over $10 million per season at this point in his career. For that matter, I'd ALMOST rather have Ibanez than Abreu, although it would be a toss-up. Depends, of course of money and number of years.

Well, no dout Abreu's a better defender....and moving Dye and having Quentin and Abreu on the corners would make more sense from a defensive standpoint.

I just don't think Abreu's numbers over the last couple of seasons and his age justify a big investment, and I do think he will get at least a 3 year commitment from some team out there, not sure which, but it will probably happen.

Bobby Abreu is no where near a $16M-$18M player. He's looking at 3 years, $13M and that's probably tops. Problem is he's a joke in the field and isn't exactly what you're looking for in a DH (probably a ~.800 OPS and no speed once 2010 rolls around) especially at 36 years old.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
In all, I'm surprised that the Braves were willing to give up Flowers for anyone not named Peavy. On the other hand, I'm disappointed that KW views Lillibridge so highly, especially after acquiring Betemit last month. KW really has his work cut out for him, as this team might need a new 2b, 3b, CF, and SP.

actually this team stil needs everything it needed before both trades. The Lillibridge shortstop thing still confuses me.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
I just think if the Sox are thinking OF they would go Abreu over Dunn.

Not that I even think they are going OF, but its my personal feeling.

I understand the Sox are going to be looking for a replacement for Dye most likely. But what happend to wanting to aqcuire more speed?? I would love if KW shocks us and brings us Furcal. Just put Alexie back at 2b. I like Tavaraz for CF still as well. That leaves you to find more power for LF or perhaps RF. I know KW loves Abreu... It shall be interesting to see what KW does...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
Well, no dout Abreu's a better defender....and moving Dye and having Quentin and Abreu on the corners would make more sense from a defensive standpoint.

I just don't think Abreu's numbers over the last couple of seasons and his age justify a big investment, and I do think he will get at least a 3 year commitment from some team out there, not sure which, but it will probably happen.

Abreu has gone from being one of the better corner defenders in the game to one of the worst the last few years, he's awful.