Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
I read somewhere that his fastball sits around 93

Worst-case scenario, Santos and Nunez (Yankees deal) are two promising young bullpen arms that contribute a couple of years from now. Lefties that throw 93 aren't easy to come by and are pretty valuable commodities, although we've now ditched two in Marte and Logan.

Remembering the Everett trade, it was Frank Francisco who had the biggest impact. At the time, many really liked Anthony Webster and Rupe.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
Worst-case scenario, Santos and Nunez (Yankees deal) are two promising young bullpen arms that contribute a couple of years from now. Lefties that throw 93 aren't easy to come by and are pretty valuable commodities, although we've now ditched two in Marte and Logan.

Remembering the Everett trade, it was Frank Francisco who had the biggest impact. At the time, many really liked Anthony Webster and Rupe.

I would say worst-case scenerio is these two never wear major league uniforms. If worst case scenerio is what you claim, KW should be in jail.

QUOTE (kageman129 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
I am so happy with how this offseason has went so far! I love getting all these young players with upside.

I just hope we hang on to all of them.

Just divorce this idea from your mind right now, before you end up being disappointed.

Here's what i can see happening. I think Broadway gets dealt for Tavares. I wouldn't be surprised if that hasn't already been agreed on. I think Dye gets moved to the Reds. If money is the issue in this trade maybe we send Dye,either BA or Owens,and maybe Lillibridge to the Reds for Bailey and either Arroyo or Harang.That would even the money out a little bit. Then the Sox sign Dunn in free agency. That would give us a team looking like:

SP-Buehrle, Floyd,Danks, Harang, and Bailey/Poreda/Marquez/Richard

bullpen:Thornton,Linebrink,loser of the 5th spot,Russel,Dotel, Jenks

Lineup:

CF-Tavares

2b-Getz

RF-Quentin

LF-Dunn

DH-Thome

1B-Konerko

SS-Alexei

C-AJ

3B-Fields

bench players: Betemit, Nix,backup C, Owens/BA, Wise

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
Here's what i can see happening. I think Broadway gets dealt for Tavares. I wouldn't be surprised if that hasn't already been agreed on. I think Dye gets moved to the Reds. If money is the issue in this trade maybe we send Dye,either BA or Owens,and maybe Lillibridge to the Reds for Bailey and either Arroyo or Harang.That would even the money out a little bit. Then the Sox sign Dunn in free agency. That would give us a team looking like:

Lineup:

CF-Tavares

2b-Getz

RF-Quentin

LF-Dunn

DH-Thome

1B-Konerko

SS-Alexei

C-AJ

3B-Fields

I wouldn't want Thome and Dunn back-to-back. I'd hit Thome fourth, Konerko fifth and Dunn sixth. Or Dunn 4th and Thome 6th, depending on who was hottest.

I also don't like Fields at the very bottom of the line-up. I'd be tempted to put Alexei there, but then you sacrifice some at-bats over the season.

Also, Nix will probably go to the minors if he's not the starter. He can't play all over the diamond like Uribe/Getz/Betemit/Lillibridge.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...ng_hampton.html

Very good article by Atlanta J-C writer on the Vazquel deal, although I think he's discounting any impact from the 3 other players we got in the deal too much, Gilmore in particular.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 02:04 AM)
I wouldn't want Thome and Dunn back-to-back. I'd hit Thome fourth, Konerko fifth and Dunn sixth. Or Dunn 4th and Thome 6th, depending on who was hottest.

I also don't like Fields at the very bottom of the line-up. I'd be tempted to put Alexei there, but then you sacrifice some at-bats over the season.

Also, Nix will probably go to the minors if he's not the starter. He can't play all over the diamond like Uribe/Getz/Betemit/Lillibridge.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...ng_hampton.html

Very good article by Atlanta J-C writer on the Vazquel deal, although I think he's discounting any impact from the 3 other players we got in the deal too much, Gilmore in particular.

It's just illustrating the point that generally KW doesn't try to fleece people in trades.

It also shows how, barring another move, this trade doesn't help the Sox for 2009.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)

Lineup:

CF-Tavares

2b-Getz

RF-Quentin

LF-Dunn

DH-Thome

1B-Konerko

SS-Alexei

C-AJ

3B-Fields

This team is no different really from last year with Dunn in the lineup. No thanks. Tavares in CF I can see. But not Dunn. Puts us back in the same old plodding HR hitting funk which people have b****ed about the past few year.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
This team is no different really from last year with Dunn in the lineup. No thanks. Tavares in CF I can see. But not Dunn. Puts us back in the same old plodding HR hitting funk which people have b****ed about the past few year.

How about Abreu instead of Dunn,bat him second, and move Getz to 9th. For some reason,i think we'll sign either Dunn or Abreu. I know most people want Furcal but i can't see KW spending the money on him with all the middle infield prospects he's acquired.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 06:34 PM)
How about Abreu instead of Dunn,bat him second, and move Getz to 9th. For some reason,i think we'll sign either Dunn or Abreu. I know most people want Furcal but i can't see KW spending the money on him with all the middle infield prospects he's acquired.

Personally, I just can't see KW trading away a JD to clear the way to sign an Abreu. But I've been surprised before.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)

Not just last year, LAST DECADE!!!

Personally, I just can't see KW trading away a JD to clear the way to sign an Abreu. But I've been surprised before.

It doesn't really make sense. As noted, Abreu is going to hit 15-25 homers at USCF, not 30-45. He might have a better OBP, he MIGHT be a better defender...but he has slipped significantly. I suppose we could look at it as saving $3-4 million per season over Dye AND getting a pitcher back to take Vazquez's spot in the rotation. Just seems kind of backwards. Well, really the question is would it be better to buy a pitcher in the market or give up Dye in order to acquire one? I guess in KW's line of thinking, trading talent for younger/affordable starters is almost always better than buying veterans FA pitchers on the open market.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)
Not just last year, LAST DECADE!!!

It doesn't really make sense. As noted, Abreu is going to hit 15-25 homers at USCF, not 30-45. He might have a better OBP, he MIGHT be a better defender...but he has slipped significantly. I suppose we could look at it as saving $3-4 million per season over Dye AND getting a pitcher back to take Vazquez's spot in the rotation. Just seems kind of backwards. Well, really the question is would it be better to buy a pitcher in the market or give up Dye in order to acquire one? I guess in KW's line of thinking, trading talent for younger/affordable starters is almost always better than buying veterans FA pitchers on the open market.

You mean the "LAST DECADE" where we won three divisions, finished 2nd 4 times and won a World Series? That is the decade you don't want to repeat? Adam Dunn is a high on base, high power guy that would fit great on the team

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
You mean the "LAST DECADE" where we won three divisions, finished 2nd 4 times and won a World Series? That is the decade you don't want to repeat? Adam Dunn is a high on base, high power guy that would fit great on the team

No, you misunderstand. I said that's been the complaint the past decade. Up until this year, Minnesota's approach has been more consistent in winning divisions, but then 2005 and 2008 kind of erases that...we definitely had the more talented teams than Minny most of those years, but we were too one dimensional offensively.

With that said, pitching is almost always what wins championships...I do think when we look back on the decade, we'll wonder about 2003 and 2006, in particular. We had a huge payroll disparity with the Twins, and yet they played us evenly over that time period.

Edited by caulfield12

My some-what realistic Dream lineup (Don't ask me how):

1. Figgins, 3B

2. Getz/Lillibridge, 2B

3. Quentin, RF

4. Thome, DH

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Dunn, LF

7. Ramirez, SS

8. Pierzynski, C

9. Tavares, CF

I guess some explanation for this could be Angels wanting and trading for Dye to fill in at 1B/DH for a year or two if they don't resign Tex (which they likely won't), and us getting Figgins and something else in return. Then trade something little for Tavares, and then package Fields and something else for a decent 4th or 5th starter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
Yikes

Kinda reminds me of the 2007-08 team of the 4-5 question marks with Floyd and Danks. Not saying it could be a repeat or not, but say if the sox do make those moves, the odds of the same thing happening again (the 4-5 exceeding expectations) are slim. I will say this, in a hetero way, Bailey excites the hell outta me because of his ceiling.

Who is our next Vazquez? I screened all those pitchers who have thrown 200 IP or more in one of the last 3 seasons and might be available.

Padilla

D. Davis

K. Rogers

Schilling

Dave Bush

J. Jennings

Fr. Garcia

Millwood

Capuano

Glavine

Harang

Moyer

A. Cook

B. Penny

P. Maholm

I. Snell

PETITTE

Suppan

D. Willis

Pelfrey

D. CABRERA

B. Arroyo

C. Silva

LOOPER

Wainwright

Gorzelanny

Z. Duke

Sheets

Garland

Jeff Francis

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
Daniel Cabrera will be a member of the White Sox organization before Christmas.

We won't have to wait too long to find out...in the next couple of weeks.

But you'd have to guess at least 10-15 other teams would at least have preliminary interest in Cabrera. That's where Ozzie and Cooper might give us the advantage, theoretically, in recruiting.

I'll put it this way....I would rather find 3-4 Daniel Cabreras and sign them for $3-5 milllion each per season than bring in ONE Jake Peavy to USCF and the AL. The odds are very good that not putting all the eggs in one basket (like buying stocks) will end up bearing fruit if Don Cooper has anything to say about it.

We can have a bet, Willy Taveras will be a member of the White Sox organization before December 31st. LOL.

Edited by caulfield12