Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
The rumor mill is still churning on Kelly Johnson being dangled for an outfielder.

Any possibility that Atlanta becomes JD's new team next week?

Why would that make any sense for the Sox? If we wanted Johnson, then acquiring all these 2nd basemen would have been pointless.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Why would that make any sense for the Sox? If we wanted Johnson, then acquiring all these 2nd basemen would have been pointless.

Because I still think that if we can't find a CF who can hit, that Alexei could end up out there.

And then the question would be whether we go with 2 rookies up the middle or land a vet with a decent offensive track record.

Just thinking out loud... not proposing that we make that move.

im not sure that it was mentioned in this thread, but one thing to keep in mind for this upcoming year with javy is that he will likely pitch in the WBC in spring...i remember when we first got him there was some thought that he overdid it a bit there and was tired during the year

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
Here's Keith Law's take on the trade. It kind of has an "everybody sucks" attitude to it.

This dude said that none of Vazquez's offspeed pitches are plus pitches, WTF? Is he talking about the same Vazquez? I realize his bad ERA may lead an uninformed person to believe that, but come on. I guess I should expect that from ESPN.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
This dude said that none of Vazquez's offspeed pitches are plus pitches, WTF? Is he talking about the same Vazquez? I realize his bad ERA may lead an uninformed person to believe that, but come on. I guess I should expect that from ESPN.

These scouting reports are funny. Boone Logan tops out at 91? Okay, sure.

We've seen wildly variant "top speeds" for Santos Rodriguez, from low 90's to well over mid 90's.

Comparing Gilmore to Sweeney because they're both from Iowa?

Dissecting Flowers' "flawed" swing, just like they were doing with Beckham before he torched the AFL? The funny part is half of these guys have never seen the particular players even play, they just regurgitate what a scout said upon watching that player at some time in the past, and it might have been only based on the observation of 1-2 games. Kind of silly.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
pretty good article here from the hardball times on the enigma that is vazquez

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...javier-vazquez/

Hawk was on the Score and said they tried to tell him everything that article suggests. Hawk said the Javy would go out and forget most of what he's told.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Its the same thing the White Sox tried to get through to him. Cut down on the repertoire. He just doesn't feel comfortable doing it.

He really tries to get cute, then falls behind in the count. When he doesn't do that he is unhittable. I would yell at the TV when he'd throw that curveball or slider and miss, and then do it again, suddenly he is 0-2, a fastball comes next, and it's a fly ball that may or may not be in the park.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Hawk was on the Score and said they tried to tell him everything that article suggests. Hawk said the Javy would go out and forget most of what he's told.

I noticed he shook off AJ a lot. Contrast this to Mark Buehrle who would catch AJ's return throw, set his hands in his gloves, and start his windup immediately after seeing AJ's fingers.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
I noticed he shook off AJ a lot. Contrast this to Mark Buehrle who would catch AJ's return throw, set his hands in his gloves, and start his windup immediately after seeing AJ's fingers.

Buerhle throws what the catcher puts down. He'd do that if you or I was catching.