If no other pitchers are acquired, after the Vaz trade...

NorthSideSox72

Who are the 4th and 5th starters?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the 4th and 5th starters?

• Jeff Marquez
    • Aaron Poreda
    • Clayton Richard
    • Lance Broadway
    • DJ Carrasco
    • Jack Egbert
    • Justin Cassel

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:33 AM)
Right now I would go with Poreda and Marquez with Richard ending up in the pen. I really believe that we will aquire at least one more starter in the next few months though.

I would add FA signing for the fifth starter as an option....that's likely, or the Dye/Jenks trade options.

I would go with Carrasco and Richard...although I would certainly be ready to flip flip Poreda and Richard depending on how things go. Poreda could be the long man out of the pen, kind of like Buehrle when he first came up with the White Sox. That would put him in a better position to at least be able to give us 3-4-5 solid innings if he had to switch back in April/May due to Richard implosion of Logan-esque/Munoz/Felix Diaz/Parque/Danny Wright/Josh Stewart proportions.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:33 AM)
Right now I would go with Poreda and Marquez with Richard ending up in the pen. I really believe that we will aquire at least one more starter in the next few months though.

I would add FA signing for the fifth starter as an option....that's likely, or the Dye/Jenks trade options.

I would go with Carrasco and Richard...although I would certainly be ready to flip flop Poreda and Richard depending on how things go. Poreda could be the long man out of the pen, kind of like Buehrle when he first came up with the White Sox. That would put him in a better position to at least be able to give us 3-4-5 solid innings if he had to switch back in April/May due to Richard implosion of Logan-esque/Munoz/Felix Diaz/Parque/Danny Wright/Josh Stewart proportions.

We better acquire somebody who has proven he can eat innings. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but a rotation that includes two untested rookies AND relies upon no regression from Danks and Floyd, doesn't sound championship caliber to me.

I know its cliche to pine for the return of ex-Sox, but does anyone think Jon Garland might be an option for 3 years or less? His so-so season might make him semi-affordable, and he wouldn't cost top picks.

No way to Garland!!

We just cleared the salary of a very "average" 4th starter in Vazquez. No need to reverse the gain of clearing that payroll and turn around and get similar or even worse (albeit predictable) results.

Wolf, Oliver Perez and Garland will all get $10-12 million per season, and 3-4 year contracts. Heck, if Kyle Lohse can get 4/41, Garland might even get $48/4 despite his pretty pedestrian season. The Angels also offered him arbitration, FWIW. The Astros didn't with Wolf.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
No way to Garland!!

We just cleared the salary of a very "average" 4th starter in Vazquez. No need to reverse the gain of clearing that payroll and turn around and get similar or even worse (albeit predictable) results.

Wolf, Oliver Perez and Garland will all get $10-12 million per season, and 3-4 year contracts. Heck, if Kyle Lohse can get 4/41, Garland might even get $48/4 despite his pretty pedestrian season. The Angels also offered him arbitration, FWIW. The Astros didn't with Wolf.

Viewed as a Garland for Vazquez swap (plus the added Braves prospects), I don't think it would be such a bad deal IF we could get him (as a Type B free agent) for 3/$38. I think at least some of this freed up cash should go into the rotation, and a sure 200 innnings and double digit wins is nothing to sneeze at.

I may still be wearing my 2005 blinders, but I see Garland > Wolf > Perez, and think he is the best of the "second tier" free agent pitchers out there.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
Viewed as a Garland for Vazquez swap (plus the added Braves prospects), I don't think it would be such a bad deal IF we could get him (as a Type B free agent) for 3/$38. I think at least some of this freed up cash should go into the rotation, and a sure 200 innnings and double digit wins is nothing to sneeze at.

I may still be wearing my 2005 blinders, but I see Garland > Wolf > Perez, and think he is the best of the "second tier" free agent pitchers out there.

Well, mixing in Perez with Buehrle, Danks, Poreda and Richard doesn't seem to make much sense.

Wolf has that injury history...Garland and Vazquez are similar in many respects, minus the big K numbers. Durable, innings eater, .500 record of consistent inconsistency, some brilliance, lots of disappointment and something of an enigma, especially Vazquez.

I went Richard and Broadway. I must qualify this by noting that I feel that given 32 starts in the major leagues, Lance Broadway could establish himself as the worst pitcher in baseball history. I still think he gets first crack over the other guys on this list.

I hope the Sox are smart enough not to trot Aaron Poreda out to a major league mound until he develops a second pitch.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
I went Richard and Broadway. I must qualify this by noting that I feel that given 32 starts in the major leagues, Lance Broadway could establish himself as the worst pitcher in baseball history. I still think he gets first crack over the other guys on this list.

I hope the Sox are smart enough not to trot Aaron Poreda out to a major league mound until he develops a second pitch.

Poreda's second pitch, his slider, is already pretty well developed from what I have been reading. What he needs is to get his third pitch, the change-up, working effectively, to be a solid starter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
Poreda's second pitch, his slider, is already pretty well developed from what I have been reading. What he needs is to get his third pitch, the change-up, working effectively, to be a solid starter.

That's interesting - I did hear that his change-up was still pretty much experimental at this point, but the reviews I saw of his slider were still underwhelming. If he can throw even a mediocre breaking ball I think he can be solid out of the bullpen. Starting, though, might be cruel to him.

Get Buehrle to teach him a cutter.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
That's interesting - I did hear that his change-up was still pretty much experimental at this point, but the reviews I saw of his slider were still underwhelming. If he can throw even a mediocre breaking ball I think he can be solid out of the bullpen. Starting, though, might be cruel to him.

Get Buehrle to teach him a cutter.

I think the ideal scenario with Poreda is starting at AAA, refining his slider (which AFL scouts are saying is pretty good and improving), getting his change to be useful, and maybe picking up a cutter or modified FB. Or alternately, doing the same in the pen in Chicago.

Then in 2010, you can think about starting him in the majors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
I think the ideal scenario with Poreda is starting at AAA, refining his slider (which AFL scouts are saying is pretty good and improving), getting his change to be useful, and maybe picking up a cutter or modified FB. Or alternately, doing the same in the pen in Chicago.

Then in 2010, you can think about starting him in the majors.

Yep. Word out of the AFL is that people were pretty impressed with the development of his slider.

Enough so to put him on the top 20 AFL prospects list.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
Yep. Word out of the AFL is that people were pretty impressed with the development of his slider.

I think this has been brought up before, but I wonder how much it would cost us to get Borbon from the Rangers?

Jenks + ???

I'm not sure if he's worth Jenks AND Poreda, but I can't see the Rangers having much interest in Josh Fields since they're bringing back Blalock apparently. Maybe Anderson or Owens is thrown into the overall package as well as yet another part of KW's "housecleaning" of Ozzie's doghouse.

How good is this kid going to be? Who is he most compared to in terms of his game and style of play?

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)

This makes me believe Poreda will take Logan's spot in the pen.

I voted Richard and Broadway, but will keep hoping for someone more established.

The White Sox have trimmed a lot of money off the payroll for now and the future. If you think about the guys who have left since the end of the season, Uribe- although I'm a big fan, not exactly a popular player. Crede- another I like although too many back concerns. Vazquez- I never liked him, a guy who is a below average pitcher when the money is on the table. Swisher-absolutely horrible in his one season with the Sox. Except for June, a minor leaguer the rest of the season. Hall- best attribute, good with shaving cream pies, and probably Cabrera-apparent cancer, a me first type.

Of the 6 of them, what needs to be replaced from a division champion are Vazquez's 200 mediocre at-best innings. Cabrera, decent production from a SS, and everyone else, very minor contributions. Even with all the Sox have lost, it shouldn't be too hard to replace the mediocre production as a whole these 6 provided. And there should be a boatload of money to do it.

If KW plays his cards right, he can set up the White Sox for years of success this winter.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
really dumb question - what's going on with jose contreras? is he still under contract for next year?

Yes, next year is the last year on his contract. Beyond that, it's all a question of rehab/healing from that injury. It's plausible that he might be able to pitch at some point mid season, but that depends on his recovery rate (which of course depends on his actual age) and his physical conditioning afterwards. It's possible he could see some action from the bullpen also. We really don't know. He may just not pitch at all next year as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 04:27 PM)
Yes, next year is the last year on his contract. Beyond that, it's all a question of rehab/healing from that injury. It's plausible that he might be able to pitch at some point mid season, but that depends on his recovery rate (which of course depends on his actual age) and his physical conditioning afterwards. It's possible he could see some action from the bullpen also. We really don't know. He may just not pitch at all next year as well.

That's what I thought - as long as we can somehow keep him completely off the mound I don't care about the $10 million. Sunk cost and all that.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
That's what I thought - as long as we can somehow keep him completely off the mound I don't care about the $10 million. Sunk cost and all that.

If he's healthy enough to pitch, give him a rehab assignment and see where his fastball is. There's zero harm in that. If nothing else he could be a monster out of the pen if he can come in and catch people off guard with that forkball.