If no other pitchers are acquired, after the Vaz trade...

NorthSideSox72

Who are the 4th and 5th starters?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the 4th and 5th starters?

• Jeff Marquez
    • Aaron Poreda
    • Clayton Richard
    • Lance Broadway
    • DJ Carrasco
    • Jack Egbert
    • Justin Cassel

4 - Marquez

5 - Poreda

It's quite obvious Richard is more suited for the pen as a long man because he falls apart in the 4th or 5th inning every start.

If either guy falters, Jose will take their spot mid-season.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
4 - Marquez

5 - Poreda

It's quite obvious Richard is more suited for the pen as a long man because he falls apart in the 4th or 5th inning every start.

I concur.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
4 - Marquez

5 - Poreda

You know, I just checked his stats, and you're actually shockingly right. OPS against Richard:

innings 1/3: .686

Innings 4/6: .965

Innings 7/9: 1.350 (4 at bats).

Those are some pretty impressive splits. He goes from being really good to really bad the 2nd time through the order. That looks like a sign that a guy might need another pitch or two to keep hitters more off balance. Either that or he's just really hard to hit your first time against him and once you see his stuff you jump on it.

If Richard works on his curve, I can see him working his way into the rotation during ST. Marquez, based on the scouting reports, seems to have a repertoire that would work in The Cell. I think Poreda is best served getting his feet wet coming out of the pen, for now.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
4 - Marquez

5 - Poreda

Agreed, about Richard. I imagine Ozzie will want to keep with the right/lefty strategy so,

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Marquez

Poreda

QUOTE (Ron @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
If Richard works on his curve, I can see him working his way into the rotation during ST. Marquez, based on the scouting reports, seems to have a repertoire that would work in The Cell. I think Poreda is best served getting his feet wet coming out of the pen, for now.

IMO, if Poreda doesn't make the starting 5 out of ST, I'd rather have him start off in the bandbox in AAA, giving him innings to work on his changeup. Might not be the best thing short term for the team, but I think that'd be the best long term move, because he needs to get the innings to work on that 3rd pitch, and he's not going to do that out of the bullpen where you can get by with 1 pitch if it's good and 2 pitches if they're decent.

I would be surprised if Kenny Williams doesn't either sign a value free agent pitcher who can be an innings-eater 200 IP guy or acquire another young starting pitcher who is major league ready for Jermaine Dye.

If they did nothing (again, extremely unlikely), it's Marquez and Richard's job to lose.

Marquez has the inside track being a right hander.

Richard has an advantage in that he pitched well down the stretch, and got some good experience.

Marquez is going to get torched if he can't throw something besides a 90 mph sinker. I have to believe that they're only pushing him as their 5th starter because they haven't acquired the real guy yet.

I don't care how gook he "looks" in the AFL (where he posted an ERA of 5.63), what about his numbers last season suggests he's anywhere ready to handle major league hitters?

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
Marquez is going to get torched if he can't throw something besides a 90 mph sinker. I have to believe that they're only pushing him as their 5th starter because they haven't acquired the real guy yet.

I don't care how gook he "looks" in the AFL (where he posted an ERA of 5.63), what about his numbers last season suggests he's anywhere ready to handle major league hitters?

To be fair, a lot of people said that about Gavin Floyd also (not that I'm saying Marquez is going to be the next Gavin Floyd here, but my guess is they'll teach Marquez a cutter at least).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
To be fair, a lot of people said that about Gavin Floyd also (not that I'm saying Marquez is going to be the next Gavin Floyd here, but my guess is they'll teach Marquez a cutter at least).

Gavin Floyd, even though I still wonder about him, has a lot more tools than Marquez. Also, how would Floyd fared had he been thrown into the #4 spot in the rotation in 2007?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)

Among many many other things, No balls, cant get ML hitters out, mental midget, wont keep his era under 5 over the entire year, not a big game pitcher......

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
No way to Garland!!

We just cleared the salary of a very "average" 4th starter in Vazquez. No need to reverse the gain of clearing that payroll and turn around and get similar or even worse (albeit predictable) results.

Wolf, Oliver Perez and Garland will all get $10-12 million per season, and 3-4 year contracts. Heck, if Kyle Lohse can get 4/41, Garland might even get $48/4 despite his pretty pedestrian season. The Angels also offered him arbitration, FWIW. The Astros didn't with Wolf.

Lohse got 4/$41 because he was really damn good last year and Boras is his agent, so he probably told Lohse to capitalize on that type of offer before it came off the table because he's not quite the pitcher he was last year. Garland, on the other hand, had an absolutely horrendous year and gets to deal with a down market.

We'll see, but I have a hard time believing Garland will get 8 digits a year, and though I could see 4 years being reasonable, he'll struggle to get that too.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
The White Sox have trimmed a lot of money off the payroll for now and the future. If you think about the guys who have left since the end of the season, Uribe- although I'm a big fan, not exactly a popular player. Crede- another I like although too many back concerns. Vazquez- I never liked him, a guy who is a below average pitcher when the money is on the table. Swisher-absolutely horrible in his one season with the Sox. Except for June, a minor leaguer the rest of the season. Hall- best attribute, good with shaving cream pies, and probably Cabrera-apparent cancer, a me first type.

Of the 6 of them, what needs to be replaced from a division champion are Vazquez's 200 mediocre at-best innings. Cabrera, decent production from a SS, and everyone else, very minor contributions. Even with all the Sox have lost, it shouldn't be too hard to replace the mediocre production as a whole these 6 provided. And there should be a boatload of money to do it.

If KW plays his cards right, he can set up the White Sox for years of success this winter.

I agree with the general point of this post, but the one question I have is whether or not the performance the Sox had last year will be good enough to win the division again. I'm not sure it will, because Minnesota looks like a 90+ win team to me at this point in time.

God bless you all for being so optimistic. Gavin Floyd at least kept an ERA under 3.50 (and a respectable K/9) before sniffing the major leagues with the White Sox. He's the exception, not the rule. Saying you're going to reward this kid with a rotation spot after he posted the worst professional season of his career is just stupid. Tell it like it is: right now, he's our best option, so we had better find 4 more guys better than him to keep him off our team.

Forgive me: I have no confidence in this kid, nor do I feel we should at this point. We're not the Washington Nationals. We have to assume we'll be able to do better than this. There's nothing wrong with trying to develop a failed prospect in AAA and hoping for some turn around, but come on, you don't take this kid and anoint him a major league starter. Most of us are smart enough to hear these things being stated in the media and know that they're just trying not to tip their hand when it comes to fiture transactions, but for heaven's sake someone might actually believe him.