Speculation: Is this a precursor to a Peavy Deal?

Fotop

Call me crazy, but could the Javy deal be the launching point paving the way for Peavy to come to the White Sox? I'm sure there's no trade clauses and such to be sorted, but I for one would welcome this idea.

I'm sure we'd have to relinquish some of our guys as well (Fields? Poreda? the standard speculation) but if you can turn this into a Vasquez + prospects for Peavy deal (essentially), I say you do it. A right handed, legitimate power pitcher, would profile nicely in our rotation. Peavy/Buerhle/Floyd/Danks/5th is solid.

Furthermore, SD is in a bind...the payroll restrictions are tying up everything they need to get done. They have said they need to move Peavy, so why not us?

Thoughts? Am I nuts? Has this already been talked about extensively and I missed it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a couple of major concerns.

1) Peavy REALLY REALLY wants to stay in the NL. Pretty wise on his part.

2) JR and our history with pitchers with huge contracts (which isn't very long at all)...it's pretty much non-existent. I think there would be interest in 2009, but there has to be a reluctance for the Sox to commit to $48 million over the following three years in an uncertain economy. Then again, we were committed to Vazquez for $23 million over two years and he's not nearly the same caliber of starter as Jake Peavy. But I will believe it when I see it out of KW and JR. They definitely will not be bidding on Sabathia, Lowe or Burnett, that's for sure...and doubt they would consider Sheets, either.

Peavy, 27, will make $8 million in 2009, $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012, and he has a 2013 option for $22 million, with a $4 million buyout.

I think its entirely possible. Not probable. But something is up with KW and it is huge. $37 million off the books for 2009. Looking to move Dye. Contreras, Thome and Dye possibly come off the books after 2009, even if he is lowering payroll he has more than $.75 when things cost $1.00. In fact, he probably has $1.50 and things with the ecomony probably cost $.75. No trade clause doesn't matter. He has a blanket no trade clause and they already said he will be moved. If his choice is to play for a lousy SD team or come to the AL and play for the White Sox, I think in the end, he would waive his NTC.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
I believe Peavy has a no trade clause, but has listed 5 teams he would accept a trade to, with the Sox not being one of them. Plus i recall reading that if he gets traded, he prefers to stay in the NL because he likes not being hit.

Fixed that to disclose his unstated, true reasoning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
I think its entirely possible. Not probable. But something is up with KW and it is huge. $37 million off the books for 2009. Looking to move Dye. Contreras, Thome and Dye possibly come off the books after 2009, even if he is lowering payroll he has more than $.75 when things cost $1.00. In fact, he probably has $1.50 and things with the ecomony probably cost $.75. No trade clause doesn't matter. He has a blanket no trade clause and they already said he will be moved. If his choice is to play for a lousy SD team or come to the AL and play for the White Sox, I think in the end, he would waive his NTC.

Miguel Cabrera!

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
I think there are a couple of major concerns.

1) Peavy REALLY REALLY wants to stay in the NL. Pretty wise on his part.

2) JR and our history with pitchers with huge contracts (which isn't very long at all)...it's pretty much non-existent. I think there would be interest in 2009, but there has to be a reluctance for the Sox to commit to $48 million over the following three years in an uncertain economy. Then again, we were committed to Vazquez for $23 million over two years and he's not nearly the same caliber of starter as Jake Peavy. But I will believe it when I see it out of KW and JR. They definitely will not be bidding on Sabathia, Lowe or Burnett, that's for sure...and doubt they would consider Sheets, either.

Peavy, 27, will make $8 million in 2009, $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012, and he has a 2013 option for $22 million, with a $4 million buyout.

That is monster cash to be committing, I agree. On a per year average though, it's only, roughly, $2 million more per year than we were paying Javy. That 2013 option is hefty, though. Even if you factor in picking up that option (which I doubt you would, but for conversation sake) he's still averaging around 15.5 mil per year which is about $4mil more than Javy. That's significantly less than Santana, who makes nearly 23 million per year and likely significantly less than what Sabathia will get. Looking at it that way, this seems reasonable.

If anyone is worth this kind of money, it's a guy like Peavy who's in his prime at only 27 years old. On the whole I agree with the "no long term deals for pitchers" philosophy, but opportunities like this don't come too often.

The Braves were the primary suitors for Peavy using these same prospects. I don't understand your reasoning. I don't think our Fields or Poreda added to guys San Diego already decided weren't enough is going to swing that pendulum.

I do think that we're looking to trade for a pitcher, just probably not one with so many obstacles (no trade clause, etc.) like Peavy.

I like the idea (flipping position players/prospects for pitching)... just not sure that Peavy would be the guy coming back.

I could imagine KW looking for a similar deal with another club that is pitching rich and position poor.

Remember the fairly serious rumors a month ago about Delmon Young to the Giants for Jonathan Cain?

The Giants are hurting for position talent and power... and have reasonable young pitching depth.

I'm sure Kenny has a couple things like that on his radar.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
The Braves were the primary suitors for Peavy using these same prospects. I don't understand your reasoning. I don't think our Fields or Poreda added to guys San Diego already decided weren't enough is going to swing that pendulum.

I do think that we're looking to trade for a pitcher, just probably not one with so many obstacles (no trade clause, etc.) like Peavy.

Not saying all of the pieces would be braves related. Also don't believe the Padres didn't have interest in at least some of these guys. My point is the Sox could sweeten the pot with some talent of their own and are much more willing to trade top prospects than the Braves previously were.

Agree that there are obstacles, but if SD is as desperate to move him as previously indicated you could see things like no trade clauses being resolved.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
I like the idea (flipping position players/prospects for pitching)... just not sure that Peavy would be the guy coming back.

I could imagine KW looking for a similar deal with another club that is pitching rich and position poor.

Remember the fairly serious rumors a month ago about Delmon Young to the Giants for Jonathan Cain?

The Giants are hurting for position talent and power... and have reasonable young pitching depth.

I'm sure Kenny has a couple things like that on his radar.

Matt Cain is another good idea, and he's a bit younger and more cost-controlled...yes? Sanchez wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I could see the Giants having interest in Fields. It looks like they matchup well with us.

I don't think this is likely, but I do agree that some sort of major acquisition is likely.

Our payroll is not going to drop to $65 million the year after winning a division title, while also raising ticket prices.

This sort of speculation is exciting, and encouraged, as far as I am concerned.

Kenny's unpredictability and penchant for making big moves that require big stones is one of my favorite parts of being a White Sox fan.

Can't wait for the Winter Meetings. Bellagio, here I come!

QUOTE (Fotop @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
Matt Cain is another good idea, and he's a bit younger and more cost-controlled...yes? Sanchez wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I could see the Giants having interest in Fields. It looks like they matchup well with us.

Oakland is another team that comes to mind.

Tons of pitching... hurting at SS and 3B.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)

I think SF is on record saying they wouldn't trade Cain. Who could blame them? The White Sox sure could use an ace. So could everyone else obviously. Peavy fits financially with all the money off the books this year already. All the money coming off after next, and Konerko's contract ending after 2010. I would be shocked if KW hasn't inquired. Its probably a longshot, but I agree with you the stars appear to be aligning to maybe make a run at him or sign one of the other really big FA pitchers.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
Alright!! Enjoy!

Are you going to post via text message? Send us a few 'live' tidbits and pictures? ;)

I will definitely share my experience with the board, whether it be in the forms of pictures, info, etc.

One thing I do have going for me is I know the person who controls the reservations at one of the restaurant/bars in the Bellagio. She has asked me to give her a list of names and she will alert me when a reservation is made or when she finds out they are at the restaurant. She will also get me any table in the place I want (within reason), so I might be able to get close to some of the action...:)

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
Oakland is another team that comes to mind.

Tons of pitching... hurting at SS and 3B.

Oakland doesn't necessarily thrill me as much. Who would we get? Duchscher? Hardcore White Sox fan's loverboy, Gio Gonzalez? I really don't think they have anyone of note that's ready to have a huge, guaranteed impact for us.

Duchscherer would be such a prototypical White Sox target. So would Jonathan Sanchez.

Guys like Matt Cain we don't have the ammo to get. I'm sure that we have our eyes on someone "undervalued" like those other two.

I'm also convinced that we'll jump on Daniel Cabrera when he's non-tendered.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
I will definitely share my experience with the board, whether it be in the forms of pictures, info, etc.

One thing I do have going for me is I know the person who controls the reservations at one of the restaurant/bars in the Bellagio. She has asked me to give her a list of names and she will alert me when a reservation is made or when she finds out they are at the restaurant. She will also get me any table in the place I want (within reason), so I might be able to get close to some of the action...:)

I think you ought to buy one of those things they show on late night TV so you can hear people talking at a distance.

Hell... I would.

In Vegas, you might pick up some really interesting conversations. :o

QUOTE (Fotop @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
Oakland doesn't necessarily thrill me as much. Who would we get? Duchscher? Hardcore White Sox fan's loverboy, Gio Gonzalez? I really don't think they have anyone of note that's ready to have a huge, guaranteed impact for us.

Yeah, but they have a bunch of arms near ready... quality arms too.

Another target would be Tampa. They have 8 pitchers who could compete for starter positions in 2009. Likely that they will move one or two of them during the offseason.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
I think you ought to buy one of those things they show on late night TV so you can hear people talking at a distance.

Hell... I would.

In Vegas, you might pick up some really interesting conversations. :o

Hah, I wonder if that would work in a crowded place...

I'm going to get my resume ready and hand-deliver it to Kenny...:)