kenny willams talks to cbs writer

chisox2334

Yes. But unlike his campaign ads, Barack Obama was not asked for approval before the White Sox agreed to send pitcher Javier Vazquez to the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday, a deal that is expected to be formally announced on Thursday.

These Obama/White Sox things keep getting worse and worse.

"In our transition, we've tried to inject just enough youth into our veteran core in order to try and win another championship in order to continue the window of opportunity for sustained success, not spotty success."

The bold is my favorite part of the article. I'm sick of being good every 3-4 years. As much as I like Kenny, we've gone home without a playoff appearance 6 times in his 8 years here (and were damn fortunate to make it last year). I want to see sustained success. If we have a somewhat down year in 2009 (I don't think we will), I'll be content if from 2010 on we can put ourselves in a position to be a contender for a number of years. And I think that's exactly what we're doing. You don't have to have deep pockets to do this. The Twins have done it since 2001. I love what Kenny has done so far. I hope it continues.

Edited by Jordan4life

Somehow the editors missed the grammatical mistake "they'll" with "there'll" or "there will" or KW was misquoted.

Totally forgot about claiming Jimenez from the Blue Jays...as Williams said, another "plus" arm to go with Nunez and Rodriguez. I sure hope Lillibridge reads the following article and pins it up in his locker. Those kind of emphatic quotes, made after one season of struggle, tend to come back and haunt writers and prognosticators. This time, Christina Kahrl.

Acquired C-R Tyler Flowers, SS-R Brent Lillibridge, 3B-R Jon Gilmore, and LHP Santos Rodriguez for RHP Javier Vazquez and LHP Boone Logan. [12/2]

While Sox fans have reason to be concerned that dealing Vazquez and not getting a starter close to ready coming back in the deal exposes them to a rotation of Danks, Buehrle, Floyd, humming a few bars, and getting back to Danks, Buehrle, and Floyd, let's remember that familiarity bred contempt for a few of the team's high-profile pickups of late, notably departing free agent Orlando Cabrera, but not excepting Vazquez.

Flowers is the obvious prize, though his glove work behind the dish is questionable enough that he's no sure thing. Which is not to say this is a bad pack, it's just that it's comprised of disparate parts, players on different trajectories moving at different speeds who might answer different needs at different times. Lillibridge can run and he can handle short well enough, but he was also highly overrated after a batting average-inflated 2006 season, and there's a pretty good chance he's just a utility player who allows the Sox to wean themselves from the Age of Ozuna once and for all. He's not a bad add, but he's also probably not a starting shortstop that lets the Sox move Alexei Ramirez to third instead of short, which means the Ramirez-at-short experiment isn't being ended before it gets started. Lillibridge also doesn't pose much danger for Chris Getz at second. So, he's filler.

from Baseball Prospectus

Edited by caulfield12

I think its interesting that he wanted Lillibridge for three years. I hope not, The guy may not even start, why focus on him that much. Also this tells me that we will not be adding much payroll this year,meaning saving money. Next year thome is off the books and the year after that Konerko I believe comes off the books. I believe next year and the year after we add payroll.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
I still think Dye, Konerko or Thome could be dealt. Remember the 2005 team that won it all? We won with Everett as our DH and I think Konerko was the only 100+ RBI guy. Pitching and timely hitting is all it takes.

The market for Thome who can only DH and makes $15 million is slim to none and he has a no trade. He's a White Sox. Dye can go. I think the Sox wouldn't mind trading Paulie, but finding a team that really will take him, and he will agree to go to will be tough. If the D-Backs can't afford Randy Johnson at $5 million a year, they aren't trading for Paulie. That would leave the Angels IMO. I think he stays.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
The market for Thome who can only DH and makes $15 million is slim to none and he has a no trade. He's a White Sox. Dye can go. I think the Sox wouldn't mind trading Paulie, but finding a team that really will take him, and he will agree to go to will be tough. If the D-Backs can't afford Randy Johnson at $5 million a year, they aren't trading for Paulie. That would leave the Angels IMO. I think he stays.

Does anyone know how much of Thome's '09 salary the Phillies eat? If they are eating least $5 million of it, I think Thome can have some value on the trade market. As for Paulie, the Angels and Giants are the only teams I could think of that need a 1st baseman. Hell, maybe the Rangers could use Paulie as a DH?

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)

Thome's due $13M and there may still be some of that Philly money lying around.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)
What a horribly written article. First, it's pretty hard to read because of how poorly it's written, second, this idiot still calls Jerry Owens a young prospect.

UGH.

Wait. Are you saying that a CF who's older than Justin Morneau, Nate McLouth (8 months), Rocco Baldelli (7 months), Carl Crawford (6 months), Curtis Granderson, Bobby Jenks and Jake Peavy should no longer be considered a young prospect or even a prospect altogether? That's just crazy talk.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
Wait. Are you saying that a CF who's older than Justin Morneau, Nate McLouth (8 months), Rocco Baldelli (7 months), Carl Crawford (6 months), Curtis Granderson, Bobby Jenks and Jake Peavy should no longer be considered a young prospect or even a prospect altogether? That's just crazy talk.

We're using the Rich Hill scale of young prospects here

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
I believe Gammons called Ozuna a nice young prospect when he came up.

well in fairness....there was a time when pablo ozuna was a real good prospect...ranked #8 in all of baseball by baseball america...then the world found out he was two years older than listed

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 07:41 PM)
well in fairness....there was a time when pablo ozuna was a real good prospect...ranked #8 in all of baseball by baseball america...then the world found out he was two years older than listed

but this was 2005, and I believe he was like 30.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
Does anyone know how much of Thome's '09 salary the Phillies eat? If they are eating least $5 million of it, I think Thome can have some value on the trade market. As for Paulie, the Angels and Giants are the only teams I could think of that need a 1st baseman. Hell, maybe the Rangers could use Paulie as a DH?

For all practical intents and purposes, you can just about forget about Thome getting traded. If I remember correctly, he had a full NTC when he signed with the Phillies. He agreed to come to Sox because of his father being in Joliet of wherever. It has been reported that he'd only accept a trade to the Cubs or Indians. I don't see either of those scenarios happening.