2009 White Sox Payroll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Predict the 2009 White Sox Payroll

• Over 100 Million
    • 95-100 Million
    • 90-95 Million
    • 80-90 Million
    • Under 80 Million

I really hope that all this savings is going towards a big splash (trade, major fa signing or multiple smaller signings. ) .Right now, I am not sure what to think. The 2000 payroll (31 mil) seems like a long time ago, but so does 2008 payroll after all these salary dumps. What should we expect this year?

:unsure:

QUOTE (rangercal @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 12:36 AM)
I really hope that all this savings is going towards a big splash (trade, major fa signing or multiple smaller signings. ) .Right now, I am not sure what to think. The 2000 payroll (31 mil) seems like a long time ago, but so does 2008 payroll after all these salary dumps. What should we expect this year?

:unsure:

I don't think that the payroll will fall under 100 mil. I think KW has got something up his sleeve that none of us know about yet that will keep it above the century mark.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 08:16 AM)
I think we will end up settling right about 100 million dollars for 2009.

We had better not...with 92% retention on season tickets or whatever, and my inability to upgrade my tickets, I expect money to be spent.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
We had better not...with 92% retention on season tickets or whatever, and my inability to upgrade my tickets, I expect money to be spent.

I agree. The payroll will be cut, KW already said that. But I'm thinking it won't be huge or they will be putting a lot of pressure on the Jeff Marquez's of the world to produce in the major leagues what they couldn't in AAA. The economy most likely isn't going to be fixed by next year, if fact, it could even be worse. I believe most economists think unemployment will be higher. If the team fell on its face while raising prices and chopping an ungodly amount of payroll, especially knowing Thome and Contreras and Dye if he still is around would be coming off the books after 2009, they essentially would set this franchise back to the white flag era.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
The Sox payroll is reportedly at $96 mill right now. Unless they shed Dye and then make no virtually no signings at all, it will be in the $100 million range.

I read yesterday it was $82 million for 14 players. The other guys except for Jenks will make peanuts.

Edited by Dick Allen

It's an odd question...because it always depends on how you count the money, like the money still presumably coming in for Thome.

It's also difficult to figure exactly how to count things like signing bonuses for kids/people from out of the country. How do you count Beckham, Viciedo, D2: the Mighty Danks's signing bonuses, how much will we set aside for the draft this year (we may have 4 picks in the top 100).

And there's a number of guys (Q, Jenks) who could be due for extensions/arbitration bonuses this year as well.