Stoney on 670 Thursday 12/4

Steve9347

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stone talked about Bobby and JD going to the Mets in a Fernando Martinez deal. Martinez is better than Carlos Gomez and has tremendous power potential. Didn't say the likelihood of the deal.

A guy he doesn't think would be in the deal is John Niece, but he'd love if the Sox got him, and he thinks the Sox WOULD get Bobby Parnell if a deal were consumated. Pretty much nothing, heading to phone calls after a break.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Stone talked about Bobby and JD going to the Mets in a Fernando Martinez deal. Martinez is better than Carlos Gomez and has tremendous power potential. Didn't say the likelihood of the deal.

A guy he doesn't think would be in the deal is John Niece, but he'd love if the Sox got him, and he thinks the Sox WOULD get Bobby Parnell if a deal were consumated. Pretty much nothing, heading to phone calls after a break.

Thats usually funny with Stoney. It almost always starts with Cubs calls, then trickles to White Sox calls. There is one jilted Cubs fan that tries to get a shot or two in on Stone for calling games with him, I usually catch him once or twice a month while listening to B&B

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)

Hmmm, would EVERYONE on here like to know the likelihood of that deal?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/met...story?track=rss

THURSDAY: David Lennon of Newsday talked to a source who said there's "nothing there" in regard to the rumor of a Dye and Jenks to the Mets blockbuster. Joel Sherman talked to a few Mets officials who called the rumor nonsense. Sherman says Martinez is "all but untouchable."

Seriously, put it to rest. You too Stoney. With Putz now on the market as well as Valverde, KW would have to be retarded to shop Bobby. Wait until he is one of 2 good closers on the market.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
Seriously, put it to rest. You too Stoney. With Putz now on the market as well as Valverde, KW would have to be retarded to shop Bobby. Wait until he is one of 2 good closers on the market.

I was just posting what Stone said, not saying I thought anything would happen.

Someone can delete this waste of thread.

Later in his conversation with Holmes/Hampton, he said he thought the likelihood of a Dye-Jenks deal with the Mets was not high. In fact, he questioned where the rumor even came from.

Then he introduced a rumor of his own... said he wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox talking to St. Louis... offering minor league pitching prospects for Colby Rasmus.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
heh...the cards absolutely love rasmus...i seriously doubt we even have enough minor league pitching to get him, the cards want him playing everyday by the end of this year

I'd do Jenks/Dye for Rasmus/Perez. The Cardinals, however, wouldn't. I wouldn't put much stock in the theory, though i love Stoney.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Later in his conversation with Holmes/Hampton, he said he thought the likelihood of a Dye-Jenks deal with the Mets was not high. In fact, he questioned where the rumor even came from.

Then he introduced a rumor of his own... said he wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox talking to St. Louis... offering minor league pitching prospects for Colby Rasmus.

I had heard that St. Louis would be more likely to trade one of their guys who played at the MLB level last year to free up space for Rasmus

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
heh...the cards absolutely love rasmus...i seriously doubt we even have enough minor league pitching to get him, the cards want him playing everyday by the end of this year

Stoney also said that as a result of our last two drafts and recent deals that the Sox had quite a bit of nice young pitching.

I think we're going to hear more people saying that soon too.

Outside of Poreda, there aren't any high ceiling guys at upper levels, but we're starting to stockpile some talent at lower levels.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)

I've give up quite a bit to get Rasmus, but I doubt the Cards will trade him (more likely to get rid of Ludwick or Ankiel first I would have thought).

Still if you offered Poreda and more prospects for him, I wonder what the Cards would say.

KW said Vaz trade was focused on future more than Vaz's struggles last year.

KW said at this moment he might go to ST with 4 and 5 as is and have an open competition with the young guys (I would hate that)

Winter meetings might be slow for Sox.

Will look at CF/leadoff spot but indicated everyone is looking for that and would be dificult.

Would be suprised if another veteran is moved.

He will let GMs come to him.

If OC accepts arbitration he will be a backup, Ramirez going to SS and one of the young guys to 2nd.

High on Flowers and Lillibridge, thinks there's mechanical problems with Lillibridge's swing that they will fix.

Looked to get younger and athletic this offseason.

FWIW Rogers said he doesn't think they'll bring in any FAs.

Actual tape of KW saying he will "be in listening mode" B & B think it's a smokescreen.

Capuano and Daniel Cabrera are potential non-tender candidates, and KW loves to pick off the scrap heap...

After last year's Hunter incident of course KW is going to say he doesn't plan on doing anything. Him telegraphing the moves were what led to it not happening.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)

I don't think the Sox have the minor league pitching prospects out there to obtain Rasmus. Plus teams rarely do prospect for prospect deals, although the Sox have done some in the past (Carter for Quentin.....McCarthy for Danks). Still, the Cards love Rasmus so the only way he's coming here is in a deal involving one of our better players or two.

I can't say I like what Kenny is saying, with the exception of the Flowers/Lillibridge part. Otherwise nothing said that gets me excited, going to just have to hope its a smokescreen due to what happened last year at the winter meetings where he got bit in the butt.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
Ditto

I hope so too. I don't have an overall problem with what KW has done this offseason since I think he has another move or two in him, but if this is the team he comes with to ST I would be a little dissapointed (or if he added a token piece like Taveras). the 4 and 5 starters would be complete question marks, and i know they were last year with Floyd and Danks, it's hard to rely on that year after year and then count on Danks and Floyd to be at the level they were at last year. I'm a little nervous about the team right now, but I am in the camp he's putting up smoke screens.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
even the comment about OC being a back up... its posturing to get him to decline arbitration. if he accepts, there is now way he isnt starting.

I agree with that. They made the point that OC isn't a high end Type A free agent and some teams might be shy to sign him since they have to give up picks...

another comment they aired saying Javy wasn't a money deal, more about the team getting younger