Call Your Crazy!!

Steve9347

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going with Bedard also. Not really a top choice that I would hope for, but I remember KW drooling over him and how much he coveted him a couple of years back. He was always talking of how his stuff was scary. He struggled last year and had shoulder issues with surgery ...but with different scenery, and another Coop and Herm fix????? 7 mil for 1 year.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
That makes so much sense, it could happen.

Well, sort of...but why would we want Garland to pitch for about the same amount of money as Vazquez with the same or probably WORSE results?

There are many other answers out there that would be better than paying Jon Garland $12 million dollars to be the 4th starter again. If they tried to cut him 20% (the Angels), they'd still be paying Garland $9.6 million, but we all know the odds are stacked against the teams winning these cases...he might actually end up costing more money than Vazquez.

I know in another thread someone mentioned that $18 million for Ichiro is pretty crazy, or $27 million for A-Rod, but if you're going to pay Jon Garland $12-13 million to be a "pedestrian" fourth starter, why not take a bigger risk and really go for it?

I don't think we'll ever see Garland here again in Chicago, any more than I believe we'll see a CC Sabathia signing this offseason, a trade for A-Rod, or the acquisition of Manny Ramirez.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
I'm going with Bedard also. Not really a top choice that I would hope for, but I remember KW drooling over him and how much he coveted him a couple of years back. He was always talking of how his stuff was scary. He struggled last year and had shoulder issues with surgery ...but with different scenery, and another Coop and Herm fix????? 7 mil for 1 year.

You're assuming the M's are just going to cast him adrift. I don't think that's so obvious, anymore than the Orioles letting Daniel Cabrera go with nothing to show for it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
You're assuming the M's are just going to cast him adrift. I don't think that's so obvious, anymore than the Orioles letting Daniel Cabrera go with nothing to show for it.

Not really. I believe that we would have to trade heavy for him, and it would be risky....given his injury status. After Seattle spending so heavily last year and coming up with nothing but a dismal failure of a team, are they in the market for cutting expenses?? Not sure!

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 12:19 AM)
Not really. I believe that we would have to trade heavy for him, and it would be risky....given his injury status. After Seattle spending so heavily last year and coming up with nothing but a dismal failure of a team, are they in the market for cutting expenses?? Not sure!

Okay, who would you be willing to give up for Bedard? Of course, the conversation begins with Poreda, and Fields makes sense at 3B/1B/LF/DH, especially if they're going to deal Beltre...I guess they also might want an outfielder (with Ibanez's departure), but giving them Anderson, Wise or Owens probably doesn't do a whole lot to excite their FO, although I guess there are some possibilities.

This is another team that might have use for Lillibridge as an outfielder, but certainly not LF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Well, sort of...but why would we want Garland to pitch for about the same amount of money as Vazquez with the same or probably WORSE results?

There are many other answers out there that would be better than paying Jon Garland $12 million dollars to be the 4th starter again. If they tried to cut him 20% (the Angels), they'd still be paying Garland $9.6 million, but we all know the odds are stacked against the teams winning these cases...he might actually end up costing more money than Vazquez.

I know in another thread someone mentioned that $18 million for Ichiro is pretty crazy, or $27 million for A-Rod, but if you're going to pay Jon Garland $12-13 million to be a "pedestrian" fourth starter, why not take a bigger risk and really go for it?

I don't think we'll ever see Garland here again in Chicago, any more than I believe we'll see a CC Sabathia signing this offseason, a trade for A-Rod, or the acquisition of Manny Ramirez.

A simple answer. Cabrera ruffled some feathers while with the Sox and KW has already stated he'd be a backup. Garland would be welcomed back and would step into the 4 or 5 slot rotation. For the same bucks, you get a positive over a negative. I'm not going address the degree of positivity or negativity.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
Okay, who would you be willing to give up for Bedard? Of course, the conversation begins with Poreda, and Fields makes sense at 3B/1B/LF/DH, especially if they're going to deal Beltre...I guess they also might want an outfielder (with Ibanez's departure), but giving them Anderson, Wise or Owens probably doesn't do a whole lot to excite their FO, although I guess there are some possibilities.

This is another team that might have use for Lillibridge as an outfielder, but certainly not LF.

as far as who to give up......no clue. I was just stating the fact that KW liked the guy an awful lot. I doubt anything will happen. Just bringing up a point that if there was a way that Bedard could be had reasonably, I believe that KW would go for it. I do agree with you that Seattle would not let him go easy..................and probably not at all.

Ok, here's my super-bold call-your-crazy KW prediction..

On Friday, December 12th, the White Sox will hold a giant super orgy Press Conference introducing Homer Bailey, Willy Taveras, Rafael Furcal, and one of Adam Dunn/Juan Rivera/Bobby Abreu.

Booyakasha!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
Ok, here's my super-bold call-your-crazy KW prediction..

On Friday, December 12th, the White Sox will hold a giant super orgy Press Conference introducing Homer Bailey, Willy Taveras, Rafael Furcal, and one of Adam Dunn/Juan Rivera/Bobby Abreu.

Booyakasha!

That's CRAZY talk. Of course KW will introduce one each day so that they all feel special.