Call Your Crazy!!

Steve9347

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
Oswalt scares me. That ERA has been rising the last 4 years, and that HR total made a pretty big jump last year. Still a solid pitcher, but probably not the best investment, given the cost.

A fluctuation of .20 in ERA over a 3 year span isn't really a trend, I'd call it consistency. Last year his K/9 was the highest it had been since 2004, his WHIP was the 2nd lowest he's posted in a 30+ start season, the velocity on his fastball was the same as it's been since '06 (~92.7 MPH), he was actually inducing a good amount of groundballs (2nd highest GB% of his career) and yet his HR/FB was by far the highest of his career last season (more than 2/3 of the 23 HR he gave up last season came at home).

He also had a 32 2/3 innings scoreless streak going at the end of the season which included back to back complete game shutouts, 1 of which took place in Denver and a 8 1/3 scoreless performance at Wrigley. So he definitely showed some incredible dominance.

I don't see anything in the numbers that indicates he's starting to lose it. If the price weren't too obscene I'd probably invest in him. He's a hell of a workhorse.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
A fluctuation of .20 in ERA over a 3 year span isn't really a trend, I'd call it consistency. Last year his K/9 was the highest it had been since 2004, his WHIP was the 2nd lowest he's posted in a 30+ start season, the velocity on his fastball was the same as it's been since '06 (~92.7 MPH), he was actually inducing a good amount of groundballs (2nd highest GB% of his career) and yet his HR/FB was by far the highest of his career last season (more than 2/3 of the 23 HR he gave up last season came at home).

He also had a 32 2/3 innings scoreless streak going at the end of the season which included back to back complete game shutouts, 1 of which took place in Denver and a 8 1/3 scoreless performance at Wrigley. So he definitely showed some incredible dominance.

I don't see anything in the numbers that indicates he's starting to lose it. If the price weren't too obscene I'd probably invest in him. He's a hell of a workhorse.

Booyah!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
*Sox trade Dye for Edwin Jackson

*Sox sign Adam Dunn

*I agree on the McClouth deal. Poreda, Anderson, and Broadway gets dealt.

McClouth CF

Ramirez SS

Quentin RF

Thome DH

Dunn LF

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski C

Fields 3b

Getz 2b

Rotation: Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Jackson, Richard/Marquez

Shibby!!

Worst team defense the Sox have ever had? Has to be the worst in baseball, easy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)
he's also been pitching in the powerhouse that is the NL Central for years too. Oswalt scares the hell out of me and I want really nothing to do with him.

Halladay is an entirely different story and he'd be quite a haul.

Of the starters with at least 150 IP in the NL last year Roy Oswalt was among the top 45% in Quality of Opponent (OPS), top 35% in '07, #6 out of 52 in 2005, #10 out of 47 in '04 and #20 out of 65 in '03 (120 IP).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:44 AM)
In his conference call today, KW said he is right at the break even point now as far as payroll is concerned. That's scary.

Agreed, if he's not bluffing, we're looking at a tough 2009. I can't believe how much stock is being put in Lillibridge, Marquez, and Nix.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
Worst team defense the Sox have ever had? Has to be the worst in baseball, easy.

yep... all offense....and still not enough speed. but during KWs conference call, he didn't mention anything about getting more speed. just that he is going to 'focus on the OF'. McClouth is on the rise in his young career... who knows what the hell he is going to do next. I really hope he is wrong that we 'broke even' as far as payroll. Because if thats the case, i expect Dye to be traded for sure....

Steve Stone said it best earlier today "its better to trade a guy a year early, than a year late" If we get another 2007 version of JD than KW will likely get nothing for him if he sits on his hands this offseason.

With little knowledge of money, I'd say the blockbuster (if there is one) will be for Beltran.

Or possibly a minor deal with Flubs for Fukudome.

I don't sense we'll deal for DeJesus. Royals don't want to face him 18 times.

Don't know what to think about the ever-present (on this board) possiblity of Roberts or Figgins. I'd say no.

I'd think we'd sign a veteran free agent starter but I haven't scanned the list. We need an inning eater!!

Is Garland still available?

I heard on the score today around 4:30 a interview with Kenny in which he said that this team now is the one going to spring training. He then said unless he gets a solid #1 or #2 pitcher Dye would be traded, otherwise Dye stays. It might just be a smoke-screen but who knows. Predicting Kenny is almost impossible. So I'm not going to try.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:32 AM)
bahahhahaha

KW's idea of a 1 or 2 is different than most people's idea. He'll take 1 or 2 potential. Last year he called Floyd and Danks 1 and 2...and everyone laughed.