Pitchers under the radar

rowand's rowdies

Let's see if we can call Kenny's move. I don't mind going into the season with 1 starter slot open, but 2 is too much.

Luke Hudson was released from the Royals

- He was a top prospect once? Can Coop fix whatever is wrong with him, I don't know the situation?

Daniel Cabrera

- If non-tendered, Kenny will be very excited

Chad Gaudin

- Solid #4 or #5 in my eyes...might be non-tendered by Cubs.

Any other Kenny type pitchers out there?

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
Let's see if we can call Kenny's move. I don't mind going into the season with 1 starter slot open, but 2 is too much.

- He was a top prospect once? Can Coop fix whatever is wrong with him, I don't know the situation?

Daniel Cabrera

Chad Gaudin

Gaudin is garbage... he had a nice couple months before Beane traded him away... but he seems to trade his players away just in time before they start to slip. (Swisher, Gaudin, Koch etc...)

Daniel Cabrera would be a KW type of move for sure. Buy low and give him a chance to succeed. We all know "Coop can fix em".

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
I'd like for the Sox to pony up to get Sheets. Risky? Sure, but nice upside. That would really make the rotation look like a strength again.

Um are u serious. The white sox dont sign pitchers for more than 3 years, with the exception of Buehrle. No Sheets, no Sabathia, no top FA pitcher...ever.

Gobble? Only if it's to throw batting practice against Konerko.

That actually would help our team. Gobble as a BP pitcher? Man he'd cure what ails our righty bombers.

It reminds me of my Little League career. Our old manager didn't like to pitch or had no arm at all and he was sick of guys throwing too many balls during batting practice.

So he told me to go pitch. Guys were blasting my meatballs all over the park and over the fence.

Later my manager thanked me for throwing great BP as we hit the heck out of the ball the next game.

I didn't tell him I was trying to get guys out.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
Here is another pitcher who might be a decent #5...Jimmy Gooble. He was just cut loose as well. I would rather take a shot on Bedard or Cabrera myself for #5. Maybe

You mean Erik Bedard? As a 5th starter? Drinking early aren't you? ;)

With health, Erik Bedard would be the ace of our staff, the guy has MASTERFUL stuff. Trouble is he can't stay healthy. I can't believe you meant Bedard as 5th starter.

Regarding Cabrera, this is absolutely a KW type player...lots of potential, great arm, good stuff, and probably falling out of favor with the Orioles due to the fact he simply hasn't reached his potential yet. For a kid with the stuff D-Cab has I'd take a shot at this guy, especially if he comes cheap.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)

With health, Erik Bedard would be the ace of our staff, the guy has MASTERFUL stuff. Trouble is he can't stay healthy. I can't believe you meant Bedard as 5th starter.

Regarding Cabrera, this is absolutely a KW type player...lots of potential, great arm, good stuff, and probably falling out of favor with the Orioles due to the fact he simply hasn't reached his potential yet. For a kid with the stuff D-Cab has I'd take a shot at this guy, especially if he comes cheap.

Drinking a lot earlier these days :lolhitting Anyway, the reason I say Bedard as a 5th or even 4th is due to his injuries only. I know he has great stuff but if he can't stay healthy how can on depend on him as an Ace??

The problem is that after what the M's gave up to acquire him, they're not in a position where they will be forced to do "a Swisher" and dump him back on the market. They can afford to be patient with this guy, and either keep him or do whatever is possible to re-establish his value. I know their new GM, with Bedard and Beltre being two of their best trading chips (Ichiro and Felix aren't going anywhere), is going to ask for AT LEAST #2 starter return if they were to trade him, and that's something no team will give up right now based on 2008.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)

There's a small chance that Erik Bedard is just non-tendered next Friday, I don't think it's going to happen but some people seem to think it will. If he is non-tendered and the Sox pick him up, given his track record for kind of being a pussy, only posting 1 GREAT year, frequently hitting the DL and coming off shoulder surgery I wouldn't pencil him in for much more than the 5th starter spot. If he pitched to his potential and somehow stayed healthy enough to make 32+ starts then yeah, he's probably going to be one of the best pitchers on the staff but the odds of that happening are look rather poor at this point.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Man... if the Mariners non-tender Bedard, that trade will make a few "worst ever" lists, won't it?

Brutal.

The wonders of Bill Bavasi.

How he ever lasted so long as the M's GM I'll never know.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)

Daniel Cabrera

Chad Gaudin

We have signed the free agent from the Pirates, who might be an under the radr arm, but to continue with the thought process of "COOP can fix em," is a bit out there. Most of these signings would be going to AAA probably, or working with the team in ST so it's really a question of can the organizations coaches fix em. Cooper is a good pitching coach, but not a miracle worker.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
Um are u serious. The white sox dont sign pitchers for more than 3 years, with the exception of Buehrle. No Sheets, no Sabathia, no top FA pitcher...ever.

With Sheets' injury history, there are doubts he'll get anything more than a 3 year deal, and some have even suggested that he might take a 2 year deal. I think some team ponies up for a 3rd year with an option for the 4th, but it's interesting all the same.