Sox May be Interested in Jorge Cantu

BaseballNick

The White Sox are showing interest in the Marlins' Jorge Cantu, according to ESPN's Jayson Stark.

The team currently has Josh Fields penciled in at third base, so Cantu wouldn't necessarily be a downgrade defensively. It doesn't appear that there's anything to the Cantu-for-Jonathan Sanchez rumors, so the White Sox might be able to pull off a deal. It could hinge on whether the Marlins like Cole Armstrong, the lefty-hitting catcher who is more expendable than ever with the arrival of Tyler Flowers.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cantu is already a finished product with 25 homer power, avg. speed, Ks a lot and butcher defensively. Its similar to Josh Fields (although Fields projects to have more power). The big difference is Cantu can play multiple positions including the OF. He used to be the Rays starting 2B a few years ago and came up as SS, I think.

Cantu puts up similar offensive numbers to what I'd see Fields doing - Fields has slightly more power, but would have a lower average.

Defensively, Cantu is pretty awful at third. Fields is no gold glover either, but he's not as bad, and seems to keep improving there.

Fields is also cheaper for longer.

Fields > Cantu

I think it's a toss-up. On one hand, Cantu has a track record, although he (like Gomes) completely fell off the map and into disfavor down in TB.

Both are never going to be be considered above average defensively, although Cantu has more flexibility and has more of the overall skill set of a middle infielder than Fields does certainly.

In terms of cost-benefit, Cantu's getting more and more expensive each and every season, whereas Josh Fields has a ways to go before he even reaches the arbitration 4-6 years of his career.

Maybe the plan is to play Cantu at 3B, with Viciedo in RF. I don't know. I don't think Cantu has quite enough pop to play 1B on a regular basis...only occasionally, like Betemit did with the Yankees.

The biggest concern is from the defensive side...it's hard to see how swapping Ramirez for Cabrera will be a net gain defensively (and might be a big loss), Uribe/Ramirez were/are better than anyone we'll put out on the field at 2B (although Lillibridge might be the best of the bunch, and comparable over time)...then you have huge concerns with Fields, Viciedo or Cantu playing 3B. That's the looks of a very shaky infield defense. Thankfully, Garland's no longer around, but Marquez and Richard are more likely to have balls put in play on the infield than Vazquez, a traditional power/fly ball pitcher, was.

Based on that 29 homer, 95 RBI bounceback season, Cantu's going to get a huge increase in arbitration from the Marlins if he stays there...think of him just like Jenks in this regard. So, for the Marlins, it would be all about economics, like the Olsen/Willingham move.

Edited by caulfield12

If this trade goes down I hate it worse than being constipated. Cantu isn't anything special and Florida is trying to sell high after his decent year last year...the biggest thing is...WE DONT NEED HIM. He does not and can't play center...how much of an upgrade at 3rd is he over Fields and/or Betemit? He's a disaster in the field, came up as a 2nd baseman, a position we now have THREE players now competing for the job. He has some power, but the only spot I see for him is LF (not available) or DH (not available).

Just another all or nothing hitter who takes the UTurn far too often coming from the box and can't play a LICK of defense. I thought we were getting away from these type of players.

To give up two young guys (hell, I wouldn't even give up ONE of those guys) with potential is absurd beyond the word itself. We just dumped some dead weight for young potential, why in the hell would we turn around and do just the opposite.

Cantu does NOT help this team in any way, shape or form unless he has a 98 mile per hour fastball we don't know about.

Just say no to drugs.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 07:51 AM)
I noticed the title says for Fields and Armstrong, but I don't think it is including Fields based on what was said.

After reading it again, you may be right. Rotoworld.com notes Fields' name but probably because he's penciled in at 3B right now.

Maybe KW and the FO has concerns about something with Josh's swing (like Borchard, and Crede early in his career) and they prefer to deal with a player who has more of a track record.

I don't know. Perhaps there's also a thought to platooning Betemit/Cantu at 3B and then some combination of Betemit/Lillibridge/Getz/Nix/Cantu at 2B? I'm really scared about the possibility of Ramirez and Cantu being our DP combination.

I think Cantu would be acquired largely to play 3B. And at least he's not over 30, he's a younger player in the prime of his career. At any rate, it's nice that we might have some options. I know there are many posters here who believe that Fields won't be the starter at 3B again, any more than Anderson will be given a true shot to win the CF job.

Just saw this possible rumor killing note in a story about Cantu....

"After making $500,000 this past season, Cantu is primed for a big pay raise in arbitration."

Think the Sox are looking to add players about to get significantly MORE money?

Beeeeeeeeeep.

I actually dont mind Cantu being a stopgap/backup for Viciendo. If Viciendo falters at the start of the season, you can plug Cantu in there untl Dayan feels comfortable or more ready for the bigs. I dont have the same feeling of trust with Fields

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 08:43 AM)
Just saw this possible rumor killing note in a story about Cantu....

"After making $500,000 this past season, Cantu is primed for a big pay raise in arbitration."

Think the Sox are looking to add players about to get significantly MORE money?

Beeeeeeeeeep.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
If this trade goes down I hate it worse than being constipated. Cantu isn't anything special and Florida is trying to sell high after his decent year last year...the biggest thing is...WE DONT NEED HIM. He does not and can't play center...how much of an upgrade at 3rd is he over Fields and/or Betemit? He's a disaster in the field, came up as a 2nd baseman, a position we now have THREE players now competing for the job. He has some power, but the only spot I see for him is LF (not available) or DH (not available).

Just another all or nothing hitter who takes the UTurn far too often coming from the box and can't play a LICK of defense. I thought we were getting away from these type of players.

To give up two young guys (hell, I wouldn't even give up ONE of those guys) with potential is absurd beyond the word itself. We just dumped some dead weight for young potential, why in the hell would we turn around and do just the opposite.

Cantu does NOT help this team in any way, shape or form unless he has a 98 mile per hour fastball we don't know about.

Just say no to drugs.

Disagree Kwolf. Cantu is a more consistent hitter vs. Rhp and Lhp, he's had more than one successful year,he will strike out less, and he is less than a year older than Fields. His defense may not be very good, but I don't think he will be much worse than Fields. I think this would be a good move. Cantu is a safer bet especially if Fields has not been happy with the Sox. Going into his prime in Chicago, I think .280 30 100 are very attainable numbers from Cantu. Rolling the dice on Fields might pay off, or he may strike out 175 times on a team trying to get away from the all or nothing offense. I like fields but, I'll trust KW if this move happens.

I don't particuarly like the idea at all.

Reminds me of the Wes Helms situation, where he moved on to Philly and was terrible.

Think Cantu would do the same.

He had a .699 OPS in 2006, hardly played in 2007, and then had a decent enough season in 2008.

He's a low OBP type of power hitter, his numbers Post ASB were slightly down, and away from Florida he had a .694 OPS this season.

I would stay far, far away, and I hope it's just a rumor and nothing more.

God no.

Cantu hit 29 HR last year in 628 AB vs. 23 HR for Fields in 373 AB during 2007. Granted the park is a factor, but Fields just has a lot more power. Plus he is cheaper and under control for longer, and it's not like Cantu is exactly leading the world in OBP, or making a lot of contact at the plate, or playing respectable defense at 3B. This deal would be a big L for Kenny Williams. And it's not like Cantu is any safe bet or anything. Cantu had two abysmal seasons in between his 2005 and 2008 years.

I have no idea why we'd want Cantu anyway, unless Kenny is thinking of trading Paulie for prospects or something like that. Then maybe bring in Cantu to play 1B, but trading Fields for him is dumb IMO. But even in that case, two of the likeliest destinations for Paulie would probably be AZ and LAA who both have 1B to give up (Jackson, Tracy, Morales). Maybe if it's a SF deal or even an Oakland deal if they miss out on Furcal.

Cantu is a guaranteed low OBP guy. He was low OBP in the minors. He's low OBP in the majors.

If it looks like a duck... and quacks like a duck... it's a duck.

In Fields last two healthy minor league seasons, he put up stud numbers. Not average numbers... stud numbers.

I say we're stupid if we don't give him a chance.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
Disagree Kwolf. Cantu is a more consistent hitter vs. Rhp and Lhp, he's had more than one successful year,he will strike out less, and he is less than a year older than Fields. His defense may not be very good, but I don't think he will be much worse than Fields. I think this would be a good move. Cantu is a safer bet especially if Fields has not been happy with the Sox. Going into his prime in Chicago, I think .280 30 100 are very attainable numbers from Cantu. Rolling the dice on Fields might pay off, or he may strike out 175 times on a team trying to get away from the all or nothing offense. I like fields but, I'll trust KW if this move happens.

If we move Fields, we can get someone else that actually provides help to the Sox...leadoff? Speed? Defense? Pitching? Trading one of our 'better prospects' for another low OBP, poor defended base clogger isn't really what I had in mind. I also don't like him in the OF. If he could play the OF, then Tampa Bay and Florida would have used him there instead of letting him play soccer on their infield. The guy provides absolutely NOTHING other than some decent power, which is simply NOT A NEED for the Sox.

If we move Armstrong and/or Fields, it better be to help us in CF or in the rotation.

This trade simply makes no sense from the perspective of need.

Edited by kwolf68

Maybe Kenny is floating this name out so when he makes a deal for something we actually need we can all act "SHOCKED" that KW has pulled another coup de tat.

I sure as hell hope that's the case. Shouldn't Jayson Stark be spreading unsubstantiated rumors about how some stud pitcher is going to end up on the Yankees or Red Sox?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...me=stark_jayson

• The Giants aren't the only team interested in Florida's Jorge Cantu. There are indications the White Sox also have gotten involved.

Talk about making something out of nothing. This is all that was in his column, it doesn't include any names or even say the 2 sides are discussing a deal, just that there are "indication" that the Sox have "gotten involved." God knows what that means.

This is why the original source should be quoted and linked, the title is pure speculation from a fantasy baseball website and even then the only name they include is Cole Armstrong, they don't even speculate that Fields would be involved.