Sox May be Interested in Jorge Cantu

BaseballNick

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
It's nice to think that, but that assumes that the Marlins scouts aren't better than yours. If the Marlins know your system better than yours, then while they're dumping expensive contracts, say something like Josh Beckett, they also find guys like Hanley Ramirez who wind up tearing up the league.

Hanley was not a find. Everyone knew he was a top notch prospect. In fact, BA rated him Boston's #1 prospect in 2003, 2004, and 2005. It's safe to say you won't need to give up that type of prospect for Cantu.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
Hanley was not a find. Everyone knew he was a top notch prospect. In fact, BA rated him Boston's #1 prospect in 2003, 2004, and 2005. It's safe to say you won't need to give up that type of prospect for Cantu.

While Hanley was just an example, I think the verdict on most trades with the Marlins other than the Derrick Lee trade winds up being surprisingly kind to the Marlins.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)

The Red Sox organization, and especially their fanbase, really soured on Hanley Ramirez in his last few seasons there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
If you want Brian Roberts, you most likely would have to deal Alexei. It could possibly bite you in the ass if he improves upon this season, but that is probably the best trading chip to get a player like that.

Why most likely deal Lexi? Lexi's not going anywhere...much less for a possible rent-a-player...and the O's know that as well.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
Why most likely deal Lexi? Lexi's not going anywhere...much less for a possible rent-a-player...and the O's know that as well.

What other MI would they want from us? We have a glut of failed prospects (lilli, Nix) and a average at best spect (Getz). If we want another team's star MI, the discussions on their side IMO begin and end with Alexei. Thats what I would ask for if I was the O's. Roberts is a better all around player than Alexei, but Alexei has upside. Classic spect-for-star deal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
What other MI would they want from us? We have a glut of failed prospects (lilli, Nix) and a average at best spect (Getz). If we want another team's star MI, the discussions on their side IMO begin and end with Alexei. Thats what I would ask for if I was the O's. Roberts is a better all around player than Alexei, but Alexei has upside. Classic spect-for-star deal.

You would ship off our starting SS, making a 1 million a year for the next three years, for one year of BR? That's not a classic spect-for-star deal... One, Alexi proved himself last year that he can play in the MLB at a high level, and two, that would be just dumb.

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
You would ship off our starting SS, making a 1 million a year for the next three years, for one year of BR? That's not a classic spect-for-star deal... One, Alexi proved himself last year that he can play in the MLB at a high level, and two, that would be just dumb.

No, I wouldnt, but thats what they would most likely want.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
People seem to think that Cole Armstrong is a small price to pay, but I really could see him turning into a mediocre starting catcher for 6 years, which is really a pretty big price to pay with the organization's struggles in developing catchers.

With Flowers, Dubler, Inoyue, and the Ghost of Donny Lucy still in the system, I’m not sure backup catcher is that big a deal for the future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
I think you're all missing the most important consequence of trading for Cantu. It would give Nancy Faust dramatically more opportunities to play "Anything you Cantu I Cantu better".

Make the deal.

Really? No love for this post?

+1 from me buddy.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
With Flowers, Dubler, Inoyue, and the Ghost of Donny Lucy still in the system, I’m not sure backup catcher is that big a deal for the future.

It was confirmed in an e-mail that I received just now from Mark Gonzales that both Corky Miller and Chris Stewart have signed with the ChiSox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
It was confirmed in an e-mail that I received just now from Mark Gonzales that both Corky Miller and Chris Stewart have signed with the ChiSox.

Nice of him to respond. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to research Stewart to see how he played after he left the Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 06:29 PM)
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Chris-Stewart.shtml

9 for 40 over the past two seasons with the Rangers and Yankees. Two more years in AAA, basically.

Thanks Caulfield. Based on those numbers, I hope the Sox can see what Cole Armstrong can do. Armstrong Baseball Cube Stats

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)
If we have any interest in Cantu, and I mean any interest, someone must then have Kenny's family locked up in their basement at gunpoint, demanding we get Cantu.

Now there's an unbiased, rational opinion.

I know he's got a Fields-like glove, but what's so terrible about the .277/.327/.481 line he posted last year? I'm not cuckoo for Cantu by any means, but I think we could do worse. He isn't Andy Gonzalez.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
Now there's an unbiased, rational opinion.

I know he's got a Fields-like glove, but what's so terrible about the .277/.327/.481 line he posted last year? I'm not cuckoo for Cantu by any means, but I think we could do worse. He isn't Andy Gonzalez.

Besides average, how is that really any different than what Fields did in 2007? In only 100 games. Cantu in no way makes us better. Much better off just sticking with Fields.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Besides average, how is that really any different than what Fields did in 2007? In only 100 games. Cantu in no way makes us better. Much better off just sticking with Fields.

He will also strike out about 50 fewer times than Fields. I hate strike outs. That would be 50 fewer times that he could advance a runner, force an error, or get a sac fly. If the Sox can get Cantu for Armstrong then I hope KW pulls the trigger. Fields could then be part of a blockbuster trade for a starting pitcher or a leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
He will also strike out about 50 fewer times than Fields. I hate strike outs. That would be 50 fewer times that he could advance a runner, force an error, or get a sac fly. If the Sox can get Cantu for Armstrong then I hope KW pulls the trigger. Fields could then be part of a blockbuster trade for a starting pitcher or a leadoff hitter.

Agreed. Strikeouts and double plays are painful to watch. We get more than our share of Ks with Thome in the line-up. I think we can do better than Cantu, but he wouldn't be the worst option at 3B and if he comes cheap, I'm all for it. He's coming off a pretty solid year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)

It's different because like you said he didnt play a full season and showed a scary in-ability to hit RHP (.213/.284/.393). He's also not shown the ability to hit a good fastball yet. I don't think for a second management would be comfortable going with Fields at 3B next season which is probably why Betemit was acquired and are at least kicking the tires on Cantu.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)

Flowers is the future at catcher unless he's dealt, Donny Lucy will almost certainly never catch again, Dubler was drafted just this year, and Inouye played 54 games at low-A this season. I don't consider any of those real options at backup catcher. In fact, most are probably organizational guys that don't ever do much.

Well, at any rate, with Flowers and Armstrong, Corky Miller and Chris Stewart, I guess we're about in as good a shape as possible right now, assuming we don't trade Armstrong for Cantu.

I know some prefer Blanco as the back-up, we'll just have to wait and see what his asking price is...seems like a distant memory when F. Hernandez was one of our Top 10 prospects there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Flowers is the future at catcher unless he's dealt, Donny Lucy will almost certainly never catch again, Dubler was drafted just this year, and Inouye played 54 games at low-A this season. I don't consider any of those real options at backup catcher. In fact, most are probably organizational guys that don't ever do much.

I was responding to a comment that said that trading Armstrong would affect us negatively in the future; I then gave examples for the contrary. I can’t predict the future, nor can you. Dubler and Inoyue haven’t been in the system long enough to give up on them. I never said Lucy will be our catcher, I simply said he is one. Besides AJ going to be with the team for at least three more years. We have more the enough time to not only develop these players, but find a decent backup.