Sox May be Interested in Jorge Cantu

BaseballNick

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
And you think this why?

He is young and has a lot of room to improve defensively, however he's already played some 1B for the Brave's in A-ball

He's also 6'4, 250+ pounds, I'd have a hard time believing his ultimate destination is anywhere else than 1B

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
He is young and has a lot of room to improve defensively, however he's already played some 1B for the Brave's in A-ball

He's also 6'4, 250+ pounds, I'd have a hard time believing his ultimate destination is anywhere else than 1B

KW has no problem having a mediocre to bad defensive catcher in AJ, why would he care if Flowers is mediocre to bad?

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
Even he essentially said that. He's glad to be moving to the AL where there's a DH.

Which may enable him to get to the bigs a year or so faster than if he were in the NL and could only play catcher or 1B. 3 ways to reach the bigs is better than 2, that's the way I took those comments. Not to mention the fact that with his old team he was blocked by the 2nd best young catcher in the game and Casey Kotchman. That's a rough path to the majors right there.

You know, I know this kind of rumor is good for this site, but come on guys. This is 100 percent BULLs***

When does Kenny make a deal just to make a deal. With the informed folks on this site I would think we could see through this "hmmm, maybe the White Sox want a 3B to take over for Crede" BS.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
You know, I know this kind of rumor is good for this site, but come on guys. This is 100 percent BULLs***

When does Kenny make a deal just to make a deal. With the informed folks on this site I would think we could see through this "hmmm, maybe the White Sox want a 3B to take over for Crede" BS.

Something to talk about Rock. I'm so hungry for baseball, I'm hitting refresh waiting for KW's next move. I hear the MLB network is starting soon. Maybe that would feed my baseball need and I won't have to break down Cantu's splits based on a baseless rumor from Stark. Besides, haven't ever had the urge to compare third base defensive stats between Fields and Cantu during their first major league season? I need an inside source so I can have "hunches".

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)

This wouldn't be a move for the sake of making a move. Cantu posted solid numbers last season, and while he's due for a raise, it's not going to be anything too obscene. We have legitimate concerns about 3B since Fields was/is hurt and unproductive last year. Ozzie never seemed too confident in Fields anyway.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
This wouldn't be a move for the sake of making a move. Cantu posted solid numbers last season, and while he's due for a raise, it's not going to be anything too obscene. We have legitimate concerns about 3B since Fields was/is hurt and unproductive last year. Ozzie never seemed too confident in Fields anyway.

Fields will get the first shot, and we have two other players behind him competing. Its not a legit rumor at this point, just throwing crap against the wall on Stark's part IMO. It could also be someone saying Kenny's name to drive up the trade price for Cantu since they havent been pleased with the offers so far.

Either way, I call BS

Josh Fields could be Jorge Cantu with more power but he'll strike out a lot more and likely not have as high an average. Most importantly, Josh Fields can play 3B and DH and likely 1B. You have Thome/Konerko and guys like Brandon Allen, Viciedo (if he can't keep his weight down), potentially Flowers, etc. all who are/can be DH and 1B. Cantu can play 3B, 2B, 1B, OF and is a known commodity (at least .270 AVG, 20+ HR, 75+ RBI) and only a year or less older than Josh. If it were just Cole Armstrong for Cantu, why wouldn't you take a shot and have Cantu play LF if Josh shows something at 3B. This allows for flexibility in trading Dye (Quentin to RF) or Konerko (Cantu, Fields, etc playing 1B) and getting another young, potentially stud pitcher for the rotation or a lead-off man/CF such as Figgins.

With Buehrle locked in the rotation for a few years along with Danks and Richard, you might see a package of Fields, Poreda/Richard, Shelby and Anderson going to the Orioles for Roberts. It'll make us competitive this year and then give us two picks at the end of the season, in which to replace the value (Poreda/Richard and Shelby) that we gave up.

Last year was Cantu's first good offensive season since 2005. You are also buying very high on him as well. He's also not very good defensively anywhere he plays, so saying he can play 2B is virtually like saying Josh Fields can play 2B, so I don't even consider that.

I also wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Sox future catching combo is already in the organization in Flowers/Armstrong, and that's something to consider. The Sox obviously value Armstrong in some fashion, as I believe Ozzie has given him rave reviews before and they sent him to the AFL. If it's to trade, then so be it, but there's something there.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
With Buehrle locked in the rotation for a few years along with Danks and Richard, you might see a package of Fields, Poreda/Richard, Shelby and Anderson going to the Orioles for Roberts. It'll make us competitive this year and then give us two picks at the end of the season, in which to replace the value (Poreda/Richard and Shelby) that we gave up.

If you want Brian Roberts, you most likely would have to deal Alexei. It could possibly bite you in the ass if he improves upon this season, but that is probably the best trading chip to get a player like that.

I don't think you can use the phrase "buying high" when it comes to dealing with the Marlins. They trade to dump salary and take less talent in return. If anything, when the Marlins want to dump salary, it's always buying low. If you can buy Marlins-price for Cantu now and he replicates last season, you have a somewhat valuable trading chip next year when Viciedo may be ready to step in. Take advantage of the fact most teams are dumping payroll this year. I would like a Cantu deal if it was meant to be a 1 year stop gap for Viciedo.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
I don't think you can use the phrase "buying high" when it comes to dealing with the Marlins. They trade to dump salary and take less talent in return. If anything, when the Marlins want to dump salary, it's always buying low. If you can buy Marlins-price for Cantu now and he replicates last season, you have a somewhat valuable trading chip next year when Viciedo may be ready to step in. Take advantage of the fact most teams are dumping payroll this year. I would like a Cantu deal if it was meant to be a 1 year stop gap for Viciedo.

It's nice to think that, but that assumes that the Marlins scouts aren't better than yours. If the Marlins know your system better than yours, then while they're dumping expensive contracts, say something like Josh Beckett, they also find guys like Hanley Ramirez who wind up tearing up the league.