Some Trade Possibilities

kwill

Bobby Jenks: 1) Mets- They are the team obviously that needs bullpen help the most as Billy Wagner is no longer around and the backend of the pen being skeptical. Problem deal with the Mets is they have so many options that get a decent return is very unlikely. The only way Jenks goes to Mets if Dye is in the deal as this would fulfill two needs with one deal. Fernando Martinez is probably not in the deal as Minaya realizes he could be a Top 10 prospect in the game.

2) Diamondbacks- I haven’t anything about Jenks going to the Diamondbacks but it would make some sense as they are looking for a closer who can replace both Brandon Lyon and Juan Cruz who are likely headed elsewhere. Jenks would be a low-cost option (for a closer) and they have some prospects that could intrigue Kenny Williams. Remember just last year the Diamondbacks and Whitesox were trading partners where the Whitesox ended up with Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter.

3) Brewers- Again just speculation that could make some sense as the Brewers had a terrible pen last year and they lost SalomanTorres to retirement. They are another organization that usually has talent. Williams and the Brewers have a history as the sox traded Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik and Luis Visciano a few years back.

4) Giants- Brian Wilson did not have the year many people thought he would have had with his great stuff. He could be used better as a middle reliever. The Giants will be playing more close games, as they want to win with pitching and defense. A trade around Jenks and Dye would fulfill two needs for the Giants and bring them into contention in the NL West. The Giants scored the fewest runs in the National League last year so in upgrade in the offense is necessary. A package including Jonathan Sanchez could entice Willams pull the trigger.

5) Cardinals- A swap of Ankiel and prospects for Bobby Jenks could make some sense as the Cardinals could use a closer and the whitesox have been in need of a centerfielder since Aaron Rowand. Ankiel has the potential to hit 30 homers and play great outfield. Also, Colby Rasmus could be coming up rather soon and I believe he plays centerfield if I am not mistaken.

Jermaine Dye- Man I would hate to trade this man as has been so productive in a Whitesox uniform. But, it makes sense as he is a 35-year-old outfielder who has one year left on his contract.

1) Mets- This scenario has been entertained in other threads and described above.

2) Reds- The thought of Homer Bailey for Jermaine Dye trade makes me happy as Bailey has worn out his welcome in Cincinnati. Just a year ago, He was known to have a huge upside with a plus fastball.

3) Devil Rays- This team has six starting pitchers and only five spots which means somebody is the odd man out. Edwin Jackson and a low level prospect would make some sense in this situation.

Orlando Carbrera- I am going to be upset if returns especially since Edgar Renteria got a 2 year 18.5 million dollar deal from the Giants. I certainly don’t think we would keep Cabrera if he does decide to accept arbitration.

1) Dodgers- They could lose out on Rafeal Furcal. Ned Coletti loves short term contracts. I don’t think we would get much for Cabrera so to just diminish his value in the future we trade him for a bucket of balls and we pay a portion of Cabreras contract with the money Ozzie has paid into to the swear jar last season.

Chris De Luca still thinks the Sox will call MacPhail about Brian Roberts during the winter meetings. Obviously he is the perfect one year stop gap until Beckham is ready for his call up in 2010. Now that our farm has been well re-stocked, we may have the amunition to pull off such a deal.

Brian Roberts

Jermain Dye will likely be moved this offseason. And I would most definitley trade him for a young SP. Teams like the Reds, Giants, Rays, and Phillies will call KW about his services during the winter meetings.

Possible Returns:

Reds- Homer Bailey: Former 1st round pick and top pitching prospect. Sox can get him back on track aka like they did with Floyd.

Giants- Jonathan Sanchez: young pitcher with some MLB experience. Can be a bottom of the rotation servicable starter.

Rays- Edwin Jackson or Sonnestiene: One or the other will be dealt this offseason as they need to make room for Price. Both of these starters played a role in the magical Rays season. Jackson has a high cieling and has nasty stuff.

Phillies- Not sure what they have to offer...

The whole Jenks thing is intruiging. If they move him then it may be a loooong 2009 and a partial rebuilding phase. I would do it if you can get a promising top prospect who can potentially be our CF of the future. I wonder if the Mets would ever cave in and accept a Dye, Jenks for Fernando Martinez. I have been reading up about this young fella and boy is he exciting... If you were the Mets, an oppurtunity to add a 30+ HR-100 RBI guy AND a 35+ save guy has to be intruiging...

The Winter Meetings will be interesting....

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
The whole Jenks thing is intruiging. If they move him then it may be a loooong 2009 and a partial rebuilding phase. I would do it if you can get a promising top prospect who can potentially be our CF of the future. I wonder if the Mets would ever cave in and accept a Dye, Jenks for Fernando Martinez. I have been reading up about this young fella and boy is he exciting... If you were the Mets, an oppurtunity to add a 30+ HR-100 RBI guy AND a 35+ save guy has to be intruiging...

All indications are that there is no activity with the Mets and, even if there were, Martinez is considered totally untouchable.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
Chris De Luca still thinks the Sox will call MacPhail about Brian Roberts during the winter meetings. Obviously he is the perfect one year stop gap until Beckham is ready for his call up in 2010. Now that our farm has been well re-stocked, we may have the amunition to pull off such a deal.

Brian Roberts

Jermain Dye will likely be moved this offseason. And I would most definitley trade him for a young SP. Teams like the Reds, Giants, Rays, and Phillies will call KW about his services during the winter meetings.

Possible Returns:

Reds- Homer Bailey: Former 1st round pick and top pitching prospect. Sox can get him back on track aka like they did with Floyd.

Giants- Jonathan Sanchez: young pitcher with some MLB experience. Can be a bottom of the rotation servicable starter.

Rays- Edwin Jackson or Sonnestiene: One or the other will be dealt this offseason as they need to make room for Price. Both of these starters played a role in the magical Rays season. Jackson has a high cieling and has nasty stuff.

Phillies- Not sure what they have to offer...

The Mets absolutely refused to part with him as part of the Johan Santana deal.

If you can't get him included for arguably the best starting pitcher in baseball, then there's no way Jenks/Dye gets you very far.

The possibility of having another Kazmir/Zambrano deal go against them still lingers, to this day, with young Mr. Martinez.

Cafardo believes the Dodgers will turn to Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell, or Jermaine Dye if they fail to re-sign Manny Ramirez.mlbtraderumors.com

Anyone interested in signing Matt Clement on a "spec" major/minor league contract?

Edited by caulfield12