Some parting words from Javy

caulfield12

“The negativity is never good," Vazquez said at his news conference in Atlanta. "I’ve always been a big believer in being positive, especially in professional leagues. You’ve got a lot of negative things going on, so you always try to be positive.

"I’m a positive guy, try to be positive all the time. I’m glad to be here in Atlanta."

Vazquez declined to say anything bad about Guillen.

"The only thing I’m going to say is it’s good to get away from the negativity and start fresh," Vazquez said. "I like the city, like the stadium. I’m a flyball pitcher, so this park, I think suits better with the type of pitcher I am. I’m looking forward to pitching here."

chicagotribune.com/sports

Well, when I read the headline, I thought it would/could be worse. Ozzie and former Sox players have been extremely "cordial" to each other the past couple of days. Nobody being thrown under the bus, must be something in the water.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
They babied him the whole time he was here until the very last week of the regular season. The only negativity was from his preformances.

Am I the only one who remembers how big of a positive reaction he seemed to get back in 2006 when he put together a really good game late in the season against Toronto? And there was this moment when we thought he might finally have found that groove, so everyone was cheering him on?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
Am I the only one who remembers how big of a positive reaction he seemed to get back in 2006 when he put together a really good game late in the season against Toronto? And there was this moment when we thought he might finally have found that groove, so everyone was cheering him on?

No...I remember that well. People were clamoring about him being our "ace". I'm not gonna say I'll personally miss Javy. I'll miss his 200 innings he brought every season. You always had a 50/50 chance with him when he went out and prayed he could get past that one bad 5th or 6th inning. The frustrating thing was you always knew he never really turned out to be all he could be. It's hard to be negative or hatin' on a guy that was a consumate professional for our team. I'm not gonna say "good riddance" or anything. Just good luck Javy...and leave it at that.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
I hated him as a player here but he didnt say anything bad. Im glad hes gone, but his comments dont warrant anything.

I think I'm just disappointed that he seems to have forgotten how positive many of us tried to be behind him.

Especially after 2006, when he struggled so mightily to get through the 5th and 6th innings.

A couple of those games still stand out, one when I was in Peru and following through Internet against TOR (not a good game, to say the least!)

The other was the GS by Craig Monroe (I'm pretty sure it was Monroe) in DET. That game was a dagger, and an omen of things to come later in the season. For some reason, Aardsma's walkoff gopher ball to Thames stands out, too.

Javy gets a lot of unfair hate here. Was he a stud? No. He was solid who had shown flashes of brilliance and some flashes of s***. Yeah, it was frustrating, but we will miss him in the rotation. I like the return we got for Javy, but I am very scared about our rotation. We have no 4 or 5 starter, and I don't count "No Stuff" Richard, but hopefully Poreda could step up in ST and be a solid 5th starter for us. Plus, I think it's very possible to see a regression of one of, if not both, Danks and Floyd (I'm not saying they overachieved, but young pitchers, and young players for the most part, will hit a wall. It might happen, it might not, but don't be shocked if it does). And Buehrle is always a question mark.

I'll miss Javy, but I'm happy with the return we got. Also, Javy is much more of a national league pitcher as he isn't just a pitcher, but a baseball player who likes to hit and be a part of both sides of the game. Both sides should be happy, and people calling him s*** and such, that's just silly.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 12:28 AM)
And Buehrle is always a question mark.

In what world is MB always a question mark? He has been one of the most consistent pitchers in the MLB for 8 seasons now. You know he's going to give you 30+ starts, 200+ innings, and an era under 4.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 01:48 AM)
In what world is MB always a question mark? He has been one of the most consistent pitchers in the MLB for 8 seasons now. You know he's going to give you 30+ starts, 200+ innings, and an era under 4.

At this point in his career, and with his velocity declining, I'd say he's a question mark. But then again, I've neverb been as high on Buehrle as everyone else is.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
At this point in his career, and with his velocity declining, I'd say he's a question mark. But then again, I've neverb been as high on Buehrle as everyone else is.

I'm going to get one of my friends to photoshop a picture of the "radar gun police" for all these times when people on the board flip out about nothing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
Except for when Jon Adkins, Felix Diaz, Nick Masset, Jon Rauch, Jim Parque, Lorenzo Barcelo, Danny Wright or Bobby Jenks are pitching, lol.

Then the radar gun has some relevance.

In the article he said he was a flyball pitcher. Javy may be more effective in Atlanta. that is ok. He gave us a lot of inning did a lot of starts struck out a lot of hitters. He's still young I say good luck to him. We were helped more than hindered by his presence on the mound...