Some parting words from Javy

caulfield12

At this point in his career, and with his velocity declining, I'd say he's a question mark. But then again, I've neverb been as high on Buehrle as everyone else is.

He's not a question mark, but an exclamation point. I know, a cliche.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
Dont use these facts to muddle things up. Bearsox has seen his stuff, and thats all he needs to know

I really don't care if you call me an idiot. I remember being called an idiot back when we stupidly traded 3 prospects for Swisher.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
I really don't care if you call me an idiot. I remember being called an idiot back when we stupidly traded 3 prospects for Swisher.

Yeah, that one has really come back to bite us so far. DLS had Tommy John surgery, Ryan Sweeney still has no power, and Gio had a high-7 ERA and walked nearly as many as he struck out thus getting demoted to the bullpen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
Nick Swisher was absolutely terrible last year and he still had a higher OPS than Ryan Sweeney.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the people who seemed to have the biggest problems with that deal were more mad about who we gave up, versus who we got. Did anyone really say they thought Swisher would suck so bad last season? People were more upset about losing DLS and company.

Anyone who thought Swisher would suck so bad is looking at that situation with pure hindsight. If he had put up something close to his career numbers he'd still be here. At the time there was no reason to believe he'd suck so much.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
Anyone who thought Swisher would suck so bad is looking at that situation with pure hindsight. If he had put up something close to his career numbers he'd still be here. At the time there was no reason to believe he'd suck so much.

His career avg was .247 and he was in decline before his prime. Swisher was always over-rated...he hit the scene, had a couple nice years, and then Oakland flipped him for another orgs 3 best prospects at the time. A year later, that same Swisher is flipped again, this time for 3 marginal (at best) prospects.

In two years, Swish will be dealt for a PTNBL, the guy sucks.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
His career avg was .247 and he was in decline before his prime. Swisher was always over-rated...he hit the scene, had a couple nice years, and then Oakland flipped him for another orgs 3 best prospects at the time. A year later, that same Swisher is flipped again, this time for 3 marginal (at best) prospects.

If his avg and OBP were both 30 points higher (and by extension his SLG), nobody would've had a problem with him.

He's not my kind of player, but nobody realistically predicted that across-the-board drop where he went from career high to career low, and anyone who says they did is just plain lying.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)

Those 3 best prospects now look like an average outfielder, a mediocre starting pitching prospect, and a pitcher coming off a major surgery. I'd say Kenny knew what he was doing too, seeing as how it looks like he gave up 3 marginal prospects too (though Betemit is not a prospect and has actually had pretty good success at the MLB level, though not really recently).