Furcal declines A's offer

soxpride77

The fact that they won't have to give up draft picks has to be enticing to GM Smith.

But that $33-36 million over three years has to be scaring the heck out of them at the same time...at Furcal's age, playing on turf for one season, with his recent history of injuries. It sort of worked okay for one year of Luis Castillo, who was even more "beaten up" by all those stolen bases over the years that Furcal seems to be. But that salary commitment would be huge for Minny, and if they're really trying to trade Delmon Young, it just seems contradictory to normal Twins' offseasons. Maybe they really are serious about having the best possible team assembled for their new stadium opening in 2010.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
It's an interesting thought. A 2 year deal, for $12, 13 mill per? He likely could get a 3 yr deal from some other team. He's not getting a 4 yr deal. Ramirez would stay at 2b. Not the worst offseason plan.

Or Furcal moves to 2nd. I've seen it mentioned in the past few days that he might do so, in order to generate a larger market for his services. And I really believe that Williams wants Ramirez at short, period.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 08:36 PM)
Or Furcal moves to 2nd. I've seen it mentioned in the past few days that he might do so, in order to generate a larger market for his services. And I really believe that Williams wants Ramirez at short, period.

If Furcal was to go the Mets, it would definitely be at 2B, but they would need to unload Castillo on someone by eating most of his salary.

If he came to Chicago, I can't see why/how they wouldn't prefer to have Furcal at SS with Ramirez at 2B. You would be asking two players to make position changes from places where they've proven they can play very well, albeit somewhat erratically.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
It's an interesting thought. A 2 year deal, for $12, 13 mill per? He likely could get a 3 yr deal from some other team. He's not getting a 4 yr deal. Ramirez would stay at 2b. Not the worst offseason plan.

His agent would hang up the phone if you offered him 2 years. The A's reportedly offered 4 years but just didn't offer enough money and I'd be very surprised if he didn't get 4.