What Happened to Pursuing Orlando Hudson?

wilmot825

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
I read all during the playoffs that Orlando Hudson was on the Sox radar. He fit their needs at 2nd and leadoff, so what the eff happend? Is he asking for too much, is that why? Im just curious to whats up.

A lot of teams are backing off Hudson because of injury. Not sure about the Sox’s though

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
Umm, are you sure you know who Orlando Hudson is?

Right before he posted this, we were having a discussion of 2B zone ratings in another thread.

Turns out Hudson was near the bottom of MLB second baseman this year in that measure.

Could have been due to injuries that limited his range and effectiveness. But it does bring into question whether his defense is or will be as good as it was in the past.

I believe that's what Chisox2334 was referencing when he made that comment.

Edited by scenario

Ramirez' top value to this team remains at SS or 2B because of his "plus" offensive numbers there, probably not 3B or CF.

Beckham will most likely end up at 2B, or possibly 3B...although it would be great if either Beckham (or Lillibridge) stayed as "pure" shortstops, the belief is that the position might be too much for him to handle at the major league level. Of course, the same arguments are being used about Flowers remaining at catcher, where he would obviously have the most value to the White Sox or any other organization.

Viciedo will most likely end up in LF/RF/1B/DH.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Could Hudson potentially be a CF? Stoney i think mentioned this on his blog.

Also Alexei to CF remains possible. To one day make room for Beckham.

We always talk about converting players to certain positions. I say we just stick with putting guys where they're used to playing and where they belong.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Second base is not a place of need for us right now, we have plenty of options. So we don't need a $10 million second baseman when we have cheap options that are solid.

Who? The 5 guys who have about 15 MLB AB's between them?

And converting a somewhat delicate/fragile thirtysomething player into a CFer and risking a hamstring or other injury (diving into a wall, ala Rowand), isn't the brightest idea in the world, especially at 4-5 years and $40-50 million.

Lillibridge will never be the player Hudson is, but we could get something of an approximation of the same or similar results at a fraction of the cost in CF. I think that's KW's thinking on this at least.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
Who? The 5 guys who have about 15 MLB AB's between them?

Betemit, Lillibridge, Getz, Nix

I still feel the long-range plan here is Beckham, which is why you haven't seen the White Sox and Hudson connected in a single story.

Which undoubtedly means his signing will be announced tomorrow in Vegas.

I just don't see with the log jam of infielders that white sox are going to spend the money on a furcal or hudson. Who could easily show their age and injury issues come in. We did that with pods already and you don't want to get burn paying money to guys like that. I just hope that ozzie decides to teach this team fundementals. I am more worried about how we going to lay down a bunt, actually do a run down correctly, and of course teach the pitchers how to stop runners stealing on the catcher all day long.