The BCS Sucks Vent Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
I'm with palehosefn here. I can not believe TT didn't get a BCS game. Unreal.

This IS NOT the first year of the BCS. Wake the hell up!

Texas Tech was NOT eligible for a BCS game, so why would you not believe it? Why is it unreal?

Because you don't understand how it works......

Let me explain it plain and simple. Only two teams from any conference can be in BCS games (with only one nearly impossible exception which won't ever happen). Wisconsin didn't get in as the #5 team in the country a couple of years ago, nor could TTU get in this year.

If you want to whine about the rule, fine go for it. But it's not NEW!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
This IS NOT the first year of the BCS. Wake the hell up!

Texas Tech was NOT eligible for a BCS game, so why would you not believe it? Why is it unreal?

Because you don't understand how it works......

Let me explain it plain and simple. Only two teams from any conference can be in BCS games (with only one nearly impossible exception which won't ever happen). Wisconsin didn't get in as the #5 team in the country a couple of years ago, nor could TTU get in this year.

If you want to whine about the rule, fine go for it. But it's not NEW!

Yeah you are right, but Tech still did beat Texas head to head so they have a legit beef that they weren't the 2nd Big 12 team in the BCS. Just like I defended Texas over OU because I thought the Big 12 South was a Texas/OU debate, I will defend Tech here since in this case it's more of a Tech/Texas debate. I know the Horns have the stronger resume, but head to head doesn't lie.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
Yeah you are right, but Tech still did beat Texas head to head so they have a legit beef that they weren't the 2nd Big 12 team in the BCS. Just like I defended Texas over OU because I thought the Big 12 South was a Texas/OU debate, I will defend Tech here since in this case it's more of a Tech/Texas debate. I know the Horns have the stronger resume, but head to head doesn't lie.

That would be a legitimate argument.

On a separate note:

Everyone needs to be to remember the purpose of the BCS. The SOLE purpose of the BCS is to create a matchup between #1 and #2 for a Championship game. The BCS does not and never had the purpose of creating great mathups in the other bowl games. The conferences want the guaranteed slots in certain bowls so there are only so many matchups even possible. Basically, after the conference tie-ins, the bowls participate in an old-fashioned school yard pick em for the rest of the slots.

So we can scream about how the BCS sucks because the matchups aren't great, but it doesn't matter because that is not the role of the BCS. Remember the schools themselves created the BCS and the rules that apply. The BCS is not a separate organization, it is simply a formula created by member schools to help better determine a National Champion.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
3/4 works a lot better, and i don't think that is true at all. I think Ohio State is better.

I disagree, I think TT is better and were ranked higher for a reason. Of course it doesnt matter since TT wasnt eligible for a BCS bowl. OSU really doesnt deserve to play Texas in a bowl game either, but if I was in charge of picking team to play in my bowl, OSU would be near the top of the list because of how well the fans travel. In most Bowl games OSU plays in, the crowd is usually more than 60 percent buckeye fans, especially in AZ where they just take over the city. Money talks.

The Big 12 South is the thing here and I see and hear more from these teams than any other. The consensus down here is TT was the third best of the three. They were also probably a top 5 of 6 team in the nation. If those teams all played in different conferences, they would all have been odds on favorites to win any conference in America.

Exciting and aggravating. In basketballl they all might have been in different brackets.