Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
I think Cowley is smart with this twitter thing. People will appreciate his quick info and develop a relationship with him.

Definitely has worked with me.. Though, I use it for the same reasons with my band, fans love feeling super connected to everything going on. It works well for blogs and news sites too, they just post a link to a new post, one of my favorites is the Chicago Redeye Twitter, which actually uses responses in most days editions, and posts up to the minute Chicago-centric news.

/offtopic

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:23 AM)
I'm hoping that this goes through. Maybe, just speculation here but we could bring up David Cook in ST and give him a shot at one of the corner OF spots although I'd be nervous going with him if we didn't have a backup plan.

I'd be beyond stunned if he's in any of the Sox major league plans for 2009.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
well, I can honestly say I'd be happy if this deal went through, and Happy if it didn't.

I agree. I could go either way on this one, if young and stacked is what we're going for.. then we're succeeding with this deal, assuming Bailey turns into a decent piece to the long-term puzzle.

Would be nice to see some of the money we're saving go into use elsewhere though.

bad deal if it is Dye for Bailey, mano a mano.

watched Bailey pitch in the minors for several years.

He has regressed the last two seasons.

velocity dropped last year.

people around the Reds' AAA team constantly shake their heads at his immaturity.

Not at all a grinder, a guy who expects to get by with the magic of his fastball, which hasn't worked too well for him lately.

been given every opportunity to succeed with a team with s***ty pitching -- and failed every time.

say it ain't so, Kenny.

Dye for Bailey ramifications

If reports of a Jermaine Dye-for-Homer Bailey trade are true, the White Sox are now unsettled at four spots: right field, center field, third base and second base. Of those, I think third base is the only one at which the in-house options are acceptable. Both Josh Fields and Wilson Betemit can be adequate regulars at the hot corner. With Dye and Javier Vazquez gone, the White Sox have freed up $23 million for 2009. They likely will slash payroll a bit, but they're going to have sign at least one or two players to fill the gaps in their offense. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Juan Rivera brought in to play right.

Adding Dye to the mix, the Reds could be looking at the following lineup:

CF Chris Dickerson

2B Brandon Phillips

1B Joey Votto

RF Jermaine Dye

LF Jay Bruce

3B Edwin Encarnacion

SS Alex Gonzalez

C Ryan Hanigan

They have legitimate options at every position, but they could use one more upgrade. I'm guessing it will come in center field, though I have a better feeling about Dickerson than Hanigan. Shortstop would seem to be a lower priority.

There is one more option: Encarnacion in left, Bruce in center and a new third baseman. Of course, trading Encarnacion for a pitcher would also make more sense with another right-handed hitter added and Bailey subtracted.