Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Obviously, Kemp, who isn't going anywhere. Or Kershaw.

Yhency Brazoban? I could see KW at least PONDERING whether to take Andruw Jones off their hands if they gave us a boatload of money to offset his contract for one year, but still unlikely.

The Ethier and Loney types aren't going anywhere, either.

Yhency's done with....his injuries have robbed him of his velocity. McDonald is a big time pitching prospect though with good stuff and a funky delivery.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
Ethier and Kemp

Well, trading EITHER ETHIER (had to say that) or Kemp for one year of Dye is certainly a "no go." It would require the inclusion of Fields, IMO.

OTOH, Dye's Californian and I don't think he would be opposed to going back out there again. I mean, the cold weather in April/May in Chicago can be a drag sometimes, but USCF was seemingly built for him. There also have to be the same concerns we have about his age, declining range and the fact that he's had no major injuries over a four year time span. He seems to be one of those guys like Jenks we expect to go down again at some point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
Well, trading EITHER ETHIER (had to say that) or Kemp for one year of Dye is certainly a "no go." It would require the inclusion of Fields, IMO.

OTOH, Dye's Californian and I don't think he would be opposed to going back out there again. I mean, the cold weather in April/May in Chicago can be a drag sometimes, but USCF was seemingly built for him. There also have to be the same concerns we have about his age, declining range and the fact that he's had no major injuries over a four year time span. He seems to be one of those guys like Jenks we expect to go down again at some point.

Then give them Fields.

Did Jeff Kent retire? Because if not, Fields wouldn't have a position on the Dodgers.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
Then give them Fields.

Did Jeff Kent retire? Because if not, Fields wouldn't have a position on the Dodgers.

When did Jeff Kent start playing third? Or conversely, when did Josh Fields start playing 2nd?

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
interesting

if this wasn't a rebuilding year/fire sale, why would we be trading jermaine for young unproven pitchers and not keep him (he could obviously help the team compete in 2009), and resign him as the DH in 2010 since Thome will be gone?

Because he will be 36 by then and this team has much younger power potential.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
interesting

if this wasn't a rebuilding year/fire sale, why would we be trading jermaine for young unproven pitchers and not keep him (he could obviously help the team compete in 2009), and resign him as the DH in 2010 since Thome will be gone?

because pitching is more important than hitting and Dye is only signed for 2 years while we will have the young pitchers under contract for at least 6.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
When did Jeff Kent start playing third? Or conversely, when did Josh Fields start playing 2nd?

Blake DeWitt plays 2nd and 3rd. DeWitt is 22 and looks like a good player. He covered for LaRoche at 3rd because LaRoche sucks. So unless someone clears out of that infield, Fields isn't going to help them.

Kent is 40 and is blocking DeWitt at 2nd.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
Blake DeWitt plays 2nd and 3rd. DeWitt is 22 and looks like a good player. He covered for LaRoche at 3rd because LaRoche sucks. So unless someone clears out of that infield, Fields isn't going to help them.

I dont know about that. If they were that confident in DeWitt, then they really shouldnt of had to trade for Casey Blake last year. Also, Kent isnt getting any younger

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
Because he will be 36 by then and this team has much younger power potential.

Who would we be filling the DH spot with that's young?

It's looking more and more like the players we are keeping around are the likes of those who are cheap+signed long term & are above average (Alexei, CQ, Floyd, Danks, Fields),

or we're stuck with due to no-trade clauses (Konerko, Thome, Buerhle), and we've dealt (or will deal) those players who are expensive, aging, or young & cheap and are reaching the end of their deal (Dye, Vazquez, Swisher, Dye)

I'd wager if Thome hadn't reached his PA total in 2008, he'd be off the team by now

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
I dont know about that. If they were that confident in DeWitt, then they really shouldnt of had to trade for Casey Blake last year. Also, Kent isnt getting any younger

I'm sure they'd rather move DeWitt to 2nd, where his offense would look a little better. And it's true that the Dodgers want Blake back. My point, is that for either Kemp or Ethier, Dye and Fields probably isn't what they'll want. But what the hell do I know.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)

DeWitt was struggling at the time the Dodgers made that trade, and sent to the minors to make room for Blake. But, he came back in September after getting past his slump and put up an .872 OPS for them playing mainly 2b in September. He started every one of their playoff games I believe.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
Who would we be filling the DH spot with that's young?

It's looking more and more like the players we are keeping around are the likes of those who are cheap+signed long term & are above average (Alexei, CQ, Floyd, Danks, Fields),

or we're stuck with due to no-trade clauses (Konerko, Thome, Buerhle), and we've dealt (or will deal) those players who are expensive, aging, or young & cheap and are reaching the end of their deal (Dye, Vazquez, Swisher, Dye)

I'd wager if Thome hadn't reached his PA total in 2008, he'd be off the team by now

PK will probably be there first, then possibly Flowers, possibly Viciedo, possibly Fields...and KW probably has some ideas of his own from outside the organization.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
I'm sure they'd rather move DeWitt to 2nd, where his offense would look a little better. And it's true that the Dodgers want Blake back. My point, is that for either Kemp or Ethier, Dye and Fields probably isn't what they'll want. But what the hell do I know.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
DeWitt was struggling at the time the Dodgers made that trade, and sent to the minors to make room for Blake. But, he came back in September after getting past his slump and put up an .872 OPS for them playing mainly 2b in September. He started every one of their playoff games I believe.

I know DeWitt is a good prospect, im sure the Dodgers have him penciled in for a while. I think that Kent is the wildcard, while he is a great hitter still, the guy is a liability on the field, and like I said he isnt getting any younger

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
I know DeWitt is a good prospect, im sure the Dodgers have him penciled in for a while. I think that Kent is the wildcard, while he is a great hitter still, the guy is a liability on the field, and like I said he isnt getting any younger

Yeah, and that's why I asked if he retired. I couldn't find him on Cot's Baseball Contracts, but I don't remember hearing that he would be gone.

Actually, Blake may end up being the wild card. If he doesn't re-sign, the Dodgers might bench Kent and want a young 3rd baseman. But it's an interesting discussion, nevertheless.

Edited by G&T

i also wouldn't doubt it if the sox were denying this trade because they were negotiating a trade with a corner OF free agent.

that way they have leverage to say, "well, we don't need to give you the contract you want because we can just go with Dye. If you do wanna accept our offer however, we'll explore the options we have in a Dye trade market."

sounds like rock has a different take on it and is much more "in the know" than I.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
Kent retired. He didn't even want to play baseball last year but his option vested and he was guaranteed a nice chunk of change if he just stuck it out for 1 more season. He won't be back with the Dodgers.

Thank you.