Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Kent retired. He didn't even want to play baseball last year but his option vested and he was guaranteed a nice chunk of change if he just stuck it out for 1 more season. He won't be back with the Dodgers.

Kent hasn't yet made it official but isn't sure if he wants to play any more. If for some reason you offered him a decent 1 year deal I get the feeling he'd be open to taking it.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Remember, it's only noon in Vegas.

Yeah, I know. I was sitting here at noon eastern wondering what the hell was going on, then I realized it 9am there and they were just recovering from their hangovers.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Yeah, I know. I was sitting here at noon eastern wondering what the hell was going on, then I realized it 9am there and they were just recovering from their hangovers.

in vegas? you mean they were just getting in from the night before

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
I'm standing by my statement of saying that if you don't miss JD at all you are not a sox fan. He was our World Series MVP for heavens sake, and our best player for the last 4 years. Not to mention he's a genuine likeable guy that never complains or whines like others and goes about his business in a classy, respectable manner. By saying that he is trash and that you won't miss him offends me as a sox fan.

Stand by your words all you want but the facts are that I have been a Sox fan for over 30 years and my house is decorated with Sox stuff all over the place. If you want to judge me based on I wouldnt miss Dye then that just shows how little you really know about people and fans in general.

QUOTE (almagest @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
Guys, don't feed the trolls. It's probably just some Cubs fan or random internet douche trying to piss people off, because saying Dye is trash and lots of people won't miss him is obviously flame bait. He's done nothing but produce his whole time here, and the only year he could be considered a disappointment was 2007 -- when he was still pretty productive. Obviously his production is in decline, since he's in his mid-30s, and that's the main reason we should trade him now, but not because he's "trash".

Ummmm, no. I am just like everyone else in that I have two favorite teams, the Sox and who ever the cubs play so nice try.

As for trying to piss people off. Thats not it at all. I have opinions and are entitled to them just like everyone else. Just because my opinion on this matter is different from the rest doesnt make me a cub fan or less of a Sox fan.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
Ok I am going to back up the majority of this site by saying anyone who thinks JD is trash or won't be missed should just move their interests to the North Side. This totally sounds like something a Cubs fan would say about a player because they barely understand the game. Jermaine has always been a class act and has demonstrated to the organization and the game of baseball that it doesn't take steroids to be a consistent player. I am totally indifferent about the trade because yes I love Dye, but if it brings us something back then I'll be ok. But that is a big IF? Nobody knows exactly what Kenny's plan is and I am starting to get this bad feeling that Jerry is going to be rather cheap this year. If we trade Jermaine and obtain Homer..then go off and trade Jenks for some young unproven guy, the 2009 season will be a disaster. This meaning we don't go out and sign any veteran guys. In 2005 we traded and let guys go obtaining decent salaries to obtain replacements in the veteran category with AJ and Dye. The part that kills me is that I would rather see almost anyone else traded on the team besides Jermaine. Konerko is the first one that comes to mind. I just pray and hope with whatever happens that we obtain a couple of guys to really help this club. If not I will not be attending 0 games next season!

Been watching baseball my whole life so I understand it just fine. The bottom line is Dye as well as others hurt this team badly in 08 and changes need to be made so that we dont have to suffer through another miserable season of an inconsistent offense. The Sox production 4-7 was beyond bad in 08 and if guys cannot produce then we need to get rid of them and find players that can hit better then what we have. I saw the 4-7 hitters leave way too many guys on base last year and like most Sox fans Im sick of it.

I do agree that first and foremost Paulie should be the one to go first but what team wants a guy that cannot hit for average, drive runners in or hit the long ball with any consistency all the while making 12M per year? No GM in their right mind would take that chance, not even that bafoon Hendry who is pretty dumb.

You guys dont like my "trash" comment and thats fine but to call me a cubs fan or to say Im not really a Sox fan just shows the mentality of people here. Im here to talk Sox baseball and trust me, I have better things to do than go around randomly pissing people off. If I were I would be attacking people personally but Im not. Rememeber that you guys are the ones that are offended at what Ive said about Dye. It's not like I attacked you guys.

For the record. Out of Thome, Paulie and Dye, Dye is the one I would want to keep most but since he actually has some trade value he is the most likely to be traded if any of the three were to go.

Anyway, this is all a moot point now anyway since the deal looks like it never was a deal in the first place.

o.k. just a few thoughts from reading this thread.

1. i would not be a fan of this trade as constructed. i know bailey has tons of potential but i believe dye deserves more in return. i will wait to judge the trade, however, til a. its completed b. we see all the players involved and c. we see the following moves in the offeson.

2. anyone who doesn't believe that jermaine dye is one of the most productive/important players to wear a white sox uniform... period.... is an idiot.

3. If this trade is true and does happen, i will be very sad to see JD go. I love what he has done for this team and how he has conducted himself as part of this organization. He has quickly become one of my favorite players of all-time and I wish him nothing but the best for the rest of his career.

Finally, i was curious to see that so many people were suggesting that we sign furcal. is this just pure speculation from a number of people or have there been rumors/smoke regarding the sox interest in him. thanks for any info.

Edited by soxfan3530

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
Juan Pierre demanded a trade, BTW, according to Rosenthal

I don't think Pierre is good enough to demand things. I could see him coming back to the Sox in a trade. The Sox want speed and a leadoff hitter. Ozzie won a ring in Florida with him. It could be worked out so that Pierre's salary offset some of JD's so that it might entice the Dodgers to give up better talent because they do not have to take on so much salary. If the Sox get a guy who they feel is a solid leadoff hitter and some young talented pitching, I could see KW giving this serious consideration. The Dodger's Jermaine Dye and get rid of Pierre and his trade demand. They could let Manny walk and go after CC.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
o.k. just a few thoughts from reading this thread.

1. i would not be a fan of this trade as constructed. i know bailey has tons of potential but i believe dye deserves more in return. i will wait to judge the trade, however, til a. its completed b. we see all the players involved and c. we see the following moves in the offeson.

2. anyone who doesn't believe that jermaine dye is one of the most productive/important players to wear a white sox uniform... period.... is an idiot.

3. If this trade is true and does happen, i will be very sad to see JD go. I love what he has done for this team and how he has conducted himself as part of this organization. He has quickly become one of my favorite players of all-time and I wish him nothing but the best for the rest of his career.

Finally, i was curious to see that so many people were suggesting that we sign furcal. is this just pure speculation from a number of people or have there been rumors/smoke regarding the sox interest in him. thanks for any info.

i think the furcal talk has basis in a few areas:

-we need a lead-off hitter and he is one

-we've supposedly pursued him in the past and kw reportedly likes him

-his market is drying up so his price is coming down

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Stand by your words all you want but the facts are that I have been a Sox fan for over 30 years and my house is decorated with Sox stuff all over the place. If you want to judge me based on I wouldnt miss Dye then that just shows how little you really know about people and fans in general.

Ummmm, no. I am just like everyone else in that I have two favorite teams, the Sox and who ever the cubs play so nice try.

As for trying to piss people off. Thats not it at all. I have opinions and are entitled to them just like everyone else. Just because my opinion on this matter is different from the rest doesnt make me a cub fan or less of a Sox fan.

Been watching baseball my whole life so I understand it just fine. The bottom line is Dye as well as others hurt this team badly in 08 and changes need to be made so that we dont have to suffer through another miserable season of an inconsistent offense. The Sox production 4-7 was beyond bad in 08 and if guys cannot produce then we need to get rid of them and find players that can hit better then what we have. I saw the 4-7 hitters leave way too many guys on base last year and like most Sox fans Im sick of it.

I do agree that first and foremost Paulie should be the one to go first but what team wants a guy that cannot hit for average, drive runners in or hit the long ball with any consistency all the while making 12M per year? No GM in their right mind would take that chance, not even that bafoon Hendry who is pretty dumb.

You guys dont like my "trash" comment and thats fine but to call me a cubs fan or to say Im not really a Sox fan just shows the mentality of people here. Im here to talk Sox baseball and trust me, I have better things to do than go around randomly pissing people off. If I were I would be attacking people personally but Im not. Rememeber that you guys are the ones that are offended at what Ive said about Dye. It's not like I attacked you guys.

For the record. Out of Thome, Paulie and Dye, Dye is the one I would want to keep most but since he actually has some trade value he is the most likely to be traded if any of the three were to go.

Anyway, this is all a moot point now anyway since the deal looks like it never was a deal in the first place.

You flat out said that he WON'T be missed. You were trying to speak for the majority while you are in the minority on this particular subject.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
I don't think Pierre is good enough to demand things. I could see him coming back to the Sox in a trade. The Sox want speed and a leadoff hitter. Ozzie won a ring in Florida with him. It could be worked out so that Pierre's salary offset some of JD's so that it might entice the Dodgers to give up better talent because they do not have to take on so much salary. If the Sox get a guy who they feel is a solid leadoff hitter and some young talented pitching, I could see KW giving this serious consideration. The Dodger's Jermaine Dye and get rid of Pierre and his trade demand. They could let Manny walk and go after CC.

I should clarify. Rosenthal said "requested." I'm sure the Dodgers would be happy to move him anyway. And no, the Sox should not want Pierre.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)

I could see that too actually... But this is IF the Bailey move doesn't happen...not instead of.

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)

Then welcome 1399. You are entitled to your opinion. However, being a Sox fan, I'm sure you can understand why so many here would value Dye even if you do not share that opinion. Please understand that if you choose to express your opinions, they will be responded to by rabid Sox fans as yourself who will be feeling bad about one of their favorite players. I happen to agree with the opinion that Dye has been huge for the Sox and that his accomplishments have be UNDERVALUED because of his quiet demeanor. If a trade makes the Sox better for next year and years to come, the KW has to do his job.

Anyway, welcome! This week should be exciting and there will be plenty of other things to talk about.

I have a great and wise quote from 29th and Popular in my sig that may come in handy for us now.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

I've scanned this thread and here's my take:

There's something to this deal and it's closer than the latest reports have let on. I would trust the writer as far as getting information from a legitimate source because no one with his resume would print something without knowing who he is talking to. I believe the Jocketty denials as far as saying the Sox and Reds haven't talked since Thanksgiving, but I bet that's only a small piece of info that really has nothing to do with the matter. My guess is the Sox and Reds have the major components of the deal ironed out and both sides want to see if they can make some headway in other areas before completing the deal. Perhaps this rumor came out when it did because there is an already agreed-upon deadline in place and that deadline is fast approaching.

Also, it sounds like there are some salary issues here on the Reds side. Going further on my thoughts above, maybe the deal has been held off because the Reds were trying to clear out some salary. Just for example, let's say the Reds want to unload Freel's contract before taking on JD. Kenny doesn't want Freel and would actually prefer Bailey + prospect for Dye, and Jocketty would also prefer that deal assuming Freel can be unloaded for scraps. However, maybe there's another deal in place, like Bailey + Freel + prospect + another prospect for Dye, and that both teams agree to make this deal by a certain date if Freel cannot be unloaded. Such a scenario would explain 1) why Kenny is being quiet, 2) why Jocketty said it's not "close" instead of denying the rumors entirely, 3) why the rumors came from a reputable source, and 4) why the source said he expected the deal done sometime this week, instead of saying it was done that day.

Compare this situation to the one where reports came out saying we'd dealt Garland to Houston for Taveras, Buchholz, and Hirsh. The reporter obviously got a bad source and reported the deal as being already done that day, instead of later in the week. Both sides came out very quickly to shoot that down, and Kenny himself shot that one down. If you look at this one, Jocketty never actually denied this. He just said that it is not close (which it isn't because "this week" extends to Saturday and the GM meetings go until Thursday) and that the Sox and Reds haven't talked since around Thanksgiving. People will then read into his comments as if there's nothing there under the assumption that in order for a deal to go down both sides must remain in constant conversation, which does not have to be the case.

So those are just my thoughts. I think this deal gets done, and there's a good chance we end up with Freel as part of it. Also, when the Sox first acquired Lillibridge I thought that he might have been picked up to be part of the Dye deal, and I still think that's a possibility. Lillibridge is #3 on the Sox SS depth chart and the Reds will need a SS unless they want to keep sticking with Gonzalez for no reason.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
I'm just glad we never moved Dye for Willy Mo Pena at the deadline in 07, regardless of what happens.

Wasnt the rumor for Willy Mo AND Masterson? I dont remember but i remember a pitcher being rumored. That being said, what a relief it is that that trade never happened.

On the Dye-Bailey rumor, i'm not sure what to think. Dye has been arguably the most underrated OF in baseball the past 4 years. He has done wonders for our team and is one of KWs best moves. However, he is getting older and who knows how much longer he will remain this productive for us. Moving him one year too early is better than one year too late, IMO. Plus, the idea of getting someone with the potential of a Homer Bailey is definitely intriguing. I'd say i'm on the fence about the trade if there is actual merit in it. Regardless, it would be tough seeing JD mashing for another team next year, no matter what the return for him may possibly be.

Given that Thome and PK are going to be incredibly difficult to trade, I wouldn't mind unloading Dye IF Kenny used that money on a leadoff hitter who can steal bases and play either middle infield or CF. Otherwise, I'd rather stick with JD, who is still highly-productive and isn't a defensive liability in RF.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
Wasnt the rumor for Willy Mo AND Masterson? I dont remember but i remember a pitcher being rumored. That being said, what a relief it is that that trade never happened.

On the Dye-Bailey rumor, i'm not sure what to think. Dye has been arguably the most underrated OF in baseball the past 4 years. He has done wonders for our team and is one of KWs best moves. However, he is getting older and who knows how much longer he will remain this productive for us. Moving him one year too early is better than one year too late, IMO. Plus, the idea of getting someone with the potential of a Homer Bailey is definitely intriguing. I'd say i'm on the fence about the trade if there is actual merit in it. Regardless, it would be tough seeing JD mashing for another team next year, no matter what the return for him may possibly be.

The Sox wanted Pena and Masterson while the Red Sox were only willing to give up Pena and Hansen. I imagine it was a pretty easy trade for the Sox to turn down.