Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
We are gonna lose bailey to another deal-while Rome burns & Nero (KW) fiddles

It has happened to him before-for all the kudos he gets about making deals, he also has procrastinated himself out of players he has wanted in the past

Well good! Bailey is f***ing trash, so if the Sox don't get him for Dye straight up, we'll be very lucky. HOPEFULLY there is a better offer out there for Dye that we can take, and then sign Abreu.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
Ahh, how I missed soxtalk hyperbole.

Well of course "f***ing trash" is hyperbole, but Homer Bailey is not very good. It absolutely astonishes me that ANYBODY smart enough to be a White Sox fan would have positive thoughts about a potential deal like this one.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Well of course "f***ing trash" is hyperbole, but Homer Bailey is not very good. It absolutely astonishes me that ANYBODY smart enough to be a White Sox fan would have positive thoughts about a potential deal like this one.

Are you kidding me? This guy at one time was a top prospect, just like Joe Borchard. You have to ignore any bad he's had in his career. Trading a guy you can almost guarantee will hit 30 homers and drive in 90 runs for someone like this is a steal. Just look at KW's record. Every former top prospect bust he's acquired turns out like Gavin Floyd. They will teach him a cutter and he'll be unhittable.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)

Ah, so now we can determine how good a top prospect in the baseball world is by the time he is 22.

Dye for Bailey+ 2 other prospects is an absolute steal for the White Sox.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 08:45 PM)

I've been around as a sox fan long enough to know that unqualified statements like these generally make the poster look foolish.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
Ah, so now we can determine how good a top prospect in the baseball world is by the time he is 22.

Aren't you being hypocritical? If you can't tell a guy isn't going to live up to the hype after he's been bad, how can you tell he's a steal if he hasn't been good? Although if they spent the money saved on Abreu or Furcal I think it would be a steal as it would be those prospects for basically nothing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
Are you kidding me? This guy at one time was a top prospect, just like Joe Borchard. You have to ignore any bad he's had in his career. Trading a guy you can almost guarantee will hit 30 homers and drive in 90 runs for someone like this is a steal. Just look at KW's record. Every former top prospect bust he's acquired turns out like Gavin Floyd. They will teach him a cutter and he'll be unhittable.

What he said.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
I've been around as a sox fan long enough to know that unqualified statements like these generally make the poster look foolish.

They aren't unqualified, I've seen the guy in person many times. If my statements end up wrong, they will just be wrong because I am wrong sometimes, as well we all are. My feelings on Bailey wouldn't be nearly as strong if I hadn't witnessed him pitch in person several times.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
What he said.

They aren't unqualified, I've seen the guy in person many times. If my statements end up wrong, they will just be wrong because I am wrong sometimes, as well we all are. My feelings on Bailey wouldn't be nearly as strong if I hadn't witnessed him pitch in person several times.

You? Wrong? No way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
Aren't you being hypocritical? If you can't tell a guy isn't going to live up to the hype after he's been bad, how can you tell he's a steal if he hasn't been good? Although if they spent the money saved on Abreu or Furcal I think it would be a steal as it would be those prospects for basically nothing.

Huh?

I assume you were saying he has been bad, when all i see is success through every minor league level while rushed and an injury plagued major league stint. The kid is 22 years old, and has all the talent in the world. Check out his minor league numbers. As a 20 year old in AA he went 7-1 with a 1.59 ERA. As a 21 year old in AAA he had a 3.07 ERA. The Reds needed to rush the kid to the majors because their pitching was terrible and they needed someone to help.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)

I there any hope for this still Rock?

I don't know how you've become "an in the know member" of soxtalk all of a sudden... or maybe upon awakening from my coma I am still getting back up to speed. =)

hah! :headbang

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)

When did you see him exactly, what game and what level?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)

Yes, we should never take a chance on another "failed" prospect again because Gavin Floyd was a once in a generation type luck situation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
When did you see him exactly, what game and what level?

More importantly, when did he become a pro scout? lol. I've never seen a poster from a message board put so much stock into "Well, I saw him in person. I know for a fact he sucksssssssssss" as much as he is.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Well good! Bailey is f***ing trash, so if the Sox don't get him for Dye straight up, we'll be very lucky. HOPEFULLY there is a better offer out there for Dye that we can take, and then sign Abreu.

Let's keep this at least respectful. There is really no need to call someone f***ing trash.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
More importantly, when did he become a pro scout? lol. I've never seen a poster from a message board put so much stock into "Well, I saw him in person. I know for a fact he sucksssssssssss" as much as he is.

where is bureau, btw?

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
Not sure if this was posted. Sounds like what's holding up a deal is the Reds will give better prospects if the sox add cash with Dye. If I were the sox, i'd add cash so we get the better player in addition to Bailey.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...1108spreds.html

Great find, i'm keeping the faith on this deal for now. Also, for those who were wondering it looks like we have the 24th draft pick for next year.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
Not sure if this was posted. Sounds like what's holding up a deal is the Reds will give better prospects if the sox add cash with Dye. If I were the sox, i'd add cash so we get the better player in addition to Bailey.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...1108spreds.html

That information has been out there for a couple days. Until we know what the market will be for FA outfielders, particularly Abreu, nothing is going to happen with this deal.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Great find, i'm keeping the faith on this deal for now. Also, for those who were wondering it looks like we have the 24th draft pick for next year.

I hope to God the Twins sign O-Cab. Getting the 23rd (Twins) and 24th draft picks would be pretty suhweet.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
That information has been out there for a couple days. Until we know what the market will be for FA outfielders, particularly Abreu, nothing is going to happen with this deal.

I don't see Bobby Abreu signing with the Reds, regardless of whether or not they are interested in him (they need a righty bat, not a lefty bat) at this stage of his career.

I would think he is ours for the taking if we do indeed get this Dye deal completed...