Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
Bailey would have to come here as well for me. Bailey+Figgins would be nice.

Than that would be a hell of a deal for us... if it was just Figgins than no way! Im guessing Figgins goes to LF and Quentin goes to RF if such a deal would happen?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
Than that would be a hell of a deal for us... if it was just Figgins than no way! Im guessing Figgins goes to LF and Quentin goes to RF if such a deal would happen?

Figgins can play CF. We'd have to sign someone to play the other corner spot - Abreu?

Personally, I think they should just trade for Vernon Wells.

If Cincy is really willing to give up Votto in a Dye trade, why not try this three-team trade out: Dye to Cincy, Konerko to Anaheim, Votto and Figgins (or Ervin Santana) to Chicago, with Cincy and Ahaheim exchanging other minor leaguers.

Edited by jenks45monster

If somewhere in pretend land that Dye could net you Votto, why in the world would you involve the angels and move Votto on. If Kenny gets into that 3 way and walks away with Figgins, and the Angels wind up with Votto then Kenny needs to stop drinking before he makes these calls.

Votto > Figgins

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 12:33 AM)
If somewhere in pretend land that Dye could net you Votto, why in the world would you involve the angels and move Votto on. If Kenny gets into that 3 way and walks away with Figgins, and the Angels wind up with Votto then Kenny needs to stop drinking before he makes these calls.

Votto > Figgins

You're both sipping too much nog of egg while there's still work to be done.

The proposed 3-way trade didn't need your reprimand because in it, the writer was suggesting the Sox would net Figgins (maybe Santana) and Votto for Konerko and Dye.

Where I believe some common sense needs to be added is that, in an attempt to get all 3-way-y as the armchair Kenny Williams, the trade proposer instead is proposing two simple trades: the first...Dye to Cincy for Votto. The second...Konerko to Anaheim/San Luis Obispo (and I don't know how to make that green or teal or whatever color it's supposed to be) for Figgins (and maybe Santana). To do that, why would Anaheim and Cincy need to swap minor leaguers?

As for personal thoughts...if the second trade included Santana...let's have one great party for two of my forever favorite White Sox and wish them well in the twilight of their careers in their new cities.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 06:02 AM)

The proposed 3-way trade didn't need your reprimand because in it, the writer was suggesting the Sox would net Figgins (maybe Santana) and Votto for Konerko and Dye.

Where I believe some common sense needs to be added is that, in an attempt to get all 3-way-y as the armchair Kenny Williams, the trade proposer instead is proposing two simple trades: the first...Dye to Cincy for Votto. The second...Konerko to Anaheim/San Luis Obispo (and I don't know how to make that green or teal or whatever color it's supposed to be) for Figgins (and maybe Santana). To do that, why would Anaheim and Cincy need to swap minor leaguers?

As for personal thoughts...if the second trade included Santana...let's have one great party for two of my forever favorite White Sox and wish them well in the twilight of their careers in their new cities.

I had them swap minor leaguers just to actually make it a 3-teamed trade. In doing so, the value of Konerko stays the same as it is now because if we traded for Votto first, we would have to except less for Konerko because the team we'd want to ship him off to knows we have to get rid of him. Same concept the other way around too. If we traded Konerko first, Cincy would know we're in need of a 1st baseman, so we'd likely have to pay more for Votto than just a one year rental of Dye.

My guess would be it would work somethin like this:

Reds get Dye and a prospect from the Angels

Sox get Bailey and Figgins

Angels get Votto

The Sox then sign Abreu

of-Abreu, Figgins, Quentin

if-Fields, Ramirez, Getz/Lillibridge/Konerko

c-AJ

DH-Thome

bench-Wise/Owens, BA, Lillibridge/Getz,Betemit, catcher

That may be a more base-runner,small ball friendly lineup but i think it leaves alot of question marks defensively.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
My guess would be it would work somethin like this:

Reds get Dye and a prospect from the Angels

Sox get Bailey and Figgins

Angels get Votto

The Sox then sign Abreu

of-Abreu, Figgins, Quentin

if-Fields, Ramirez, Getz/Lillibridge/Konerko

c-AJ

DH-Thome

bench-Wise/Owens, BA, Lillibridge/Getz,Betemit, catcher

That may be a more base-runner,small ball friendly lineup but i think it leaves alot of question marks defensively.

I could see the Angels and White Sox doing such a deal, but why would the Reds let go of Votto? Do they have a 1b in there system ready to come up?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 06:06 AM)
I could see the Angels and White Sox doing such a deal, but why would the Reds let go of Votto? Do they have a 1b in there system ready to come up?

They have Yonder Alonso who is about as far from Cincinnatti as Beckham is from Chicago. They could make due for a while until he is ready.

Obviously a Dye->Votto->Figgins deal would need to have other pieces added in as well.

Maybe something like

Angels get Reds get Sox get

Votto Dye Figgins

Fields K Escobar Dickerson

Ortega Bourjos

Anderson

Figgins would be a one year rental, and I think would net Type A compensation.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
They have Yonder Alonso who is about as far from Cincinnatti as Beckham is from Chicago. They could make due for a while until he is ready.

Obviously a Dye->Votto->Figgins deal would need to have other pieces added in as well.

Maybe something like

Votto Dye Figgins

Ortega Bourjos

Anderson

if I'm seeing this right, the Sox give up Dye, Fields, and Anderson - two starters and a reserve - for an overrated player in Figgins and two outfielders who look to be complete boom or bust type prospects. That's what's referred to as rape.

Now that I've looked at Dickerson, I don't like him. Someone that strikes out as much as him isn't worth trading for unless it's cheap. Fields is OK because he doesn't cost the Sox anything, so it's worth the risk. Dickerson seems a bit overrated on here too.

I will also jump on the burned/chopped/beaten with bats bandwagon as well. This trade doesn't seem likely to happen in the least.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)
If Cincy is really willing to give up Votto in a Dye trade, why not try this three-team trade out: Dye to Cincy, Konerko to Anaheim, Votto and Figgins (or Ervin Santana) to Chicago, with Cincy and Ahaheim exchanging other minor leaguers.

Why in the heck would Cincy trade Votto for Dye? He's already as good of a hitter as Dye, imo.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 04:02 AM)

Let me just state that if the Sox got Figgins and Votto for Konerko and Dye I'd do it. Because I Think Votto has more value than either player straight up and Figgins has a little less value. If Santana is part of the deal than I believe you are talking one of the better moves in franchise history. I'd think the Angels would be more likely to move Weaver though and I'd have no complaints with him either. Still, I can't believe the Reds would trade Dye for Votto, they'd have to be getting something else in return.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)

Maybe something like

Votto Dye Figgins

Ortega Bourjos

Anderson

I forgot about Yonder. I guess with Yonder less than a year away the deal makes more sense.