Cabrera Declines the White Sox's Offer of Arbitration

Jimmywins1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in full rebuilding (if not borderline firesale) mode if the Dye trade rumor is true, so I have a hard time feeling as good about this as I might otherwise have. Hopefully that rumor is false, and I can have full appreciation that we actually have some draft picks stockpiled.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'm pretty sure it's around $82 million. Taking Dye out would make it closer to $70 million...of course, Jenks will go up by $4.5 million, etc.

Subtract Cabrera, Crede, Uribe, Griffey, Uribe, Swisher, Vazquez and the money coming from the Phillies for the final year of Thome.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:18 AM)
It would be awesome if someone figured out where our payroll stands as of right now, with the departure of Orlando Cabrera, and possibly Jermaine Dye.

I'd do it but I'm so busy with finals and school I simply have no time!

Then what the hell are you doing spending your time on a message board? Just kiddin... I'm right there with ya. It's 4:30am and instead of continuing my studying for exams, I'm on Soxtalk. Something is not right about that.

In regards to O-Cab not accepting arbitration, great news for us on the free agent market. Accepting would have been bad for both sides and he knew that. I didn't hate Cabrera as much as many seemed to, but I'm still glad he's gone. I want Furcal now.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:26 AM)
Then what the hell are you doing spending your time on a message board? Just kiddin... I'm right there with ya. It's 4:30am and instead of continuing my studying for exams, I'm on Soxtalk. Something is not right about that.

In regards to O-Cab not accepting arbitration, great news for us on the free agent market. Accepting would have been bad for both sides and he knew that. I didn't hate Cabrera as much as many seemed to, but I'm still glad he's gone. I want Furcal now.

I know exactly what you're saying, I'm only on SoxTalk in between studying and this week I probably won't sleep much.

Furcal, Taveras, Abreu and we can compete. My Christmas wishlist is very similar to SoxFan1

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:42 AM)
We need starting pitching more than we need Furcal or Abreu at this point.

Or are you assuming the Dye deal has or will go through with this post?

Yes, I already had Bailey penciled in as number 4 starter.

If deal doesn't go through we should still shop for Furcal, Taveras and starting pitcher.

snl1.jpg

Maybe we should post a different video each day of every out he made or defensive screw up he had. Since he led the American league in outs made that should take us up to opening day, in 2010.

What's the record for GIDP's by a leadoff man? Normally they are fast and had much fewer opportunities to hit into one because they are guaranteed to leadoff an inning. 16 seems like a lot for a guy hitting at the top of the order.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:07 AM)
We're in full rebuilding (if not borderline firesale) mode if the Dye trade rumor is true, so I have a hard time feeling as good about this as I might otherwise have. Hopefully that rumor is false, and I can have full appreciation that we actually have some draft picks stockpiled.

IF we get Furcal, and he stays healthy, it all becomes moot.

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:33 AM)
I know exactly what you're saying, I'm only on SoxTalk in between studying and this week I probably won't sleep much.

I am so lucky I was studying for Psyche when the Bailey rumor started, otherwise, I would have never studied.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
Im not sure there will be a team willing to give up two picks for OC...

I don't believe they give up two picks. If they pick from 16 and on, they give up their first rounder, and if they pick before that they give up nothing.

The other pick is a sandwich pick which becomes two sandwich picks if a team in the top 15 grabs him. He'll play somewhere, I'm sure his agent has received at least light interest to decline arbitration.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
I don't believe they give up two picks. If they pick from 16 and on, they give up their first rounder, and if they pick before that they give up nothing.

The other pick is a sandwich pick which becomes two sandwich picks if a team in the top 15 grabs him. He'll play somewhere, I'm sure his agent has received at least light interest to decline arbitration.

If a team in the top 15 signs him the Sox will receive 1 sandwich pick and that club's 2nd round pick.

OC isn't going to go unsigned, a team will give up a draft pick for him eventually.