A Look at how Kenny has done with trades.

wilmot825

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:18 AM)
I could have understood the trade if no money was involved. You think compensation is going away and all indications were that it was. You're not going to win anything that year anyway..... But if you are going to pretty much pay him anyway, you would think you could do better than Jon Adkins. Ray was a pretty good ballplayer at the time, having a big year.

It was a terrible trade when it went down, and even worse when we realized Adkins was using something that was giving him extra MPH on his fastball. Of course I also think that the scouts that we employed those years were absolute trash.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
Potentially too much turnover from a winning team-ala 2005-took 3 years to recover from that

Turnover wasn't the problem.

Talent wise we were a better team in 2006 than in 2005.

We were one of the best offensive teams in baseball. We lead the AL in slugging (and MLB too I think).

The problem was that some of the guys who pitched really well in 2005 pitched pretty poorly the following year.

QUOTE (frankiethefixer @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
don't forget aaron cunningham for richar. in a couple of years i have a feeling that will be one of his worst ones.

Meh, it really made sense at the time. We had a relative surplus of OFs in the system, and almost no middle IF prospects.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:32 AM)
Its really hard to judge most trades. The Foulke to Oakland trade can be judged both ways. It might have been horrible. Maybe if it wasn't made the White Sox win it all in 2003 without Billy Koch trying to close games. Flash Gordon took over the closer role. What if he was able to remain the primary set-up guy? Maybe that team wins.

On the other hand, one of the guys you get in that trade is Olivo. He turns out to be part of the deal to get Garcia, who does help the White Sox win it all. Could the Sox have traded for Garcia without Olivo? We probably will never know.

Then Garcia is traded for Floyd and Gio. Floyd helps the White Sox win the Central in 2008. Would Floyd have been a White Sox if Garcia wasn't available? We will never know. Gio goes for Swisher, who sucks in his only White Sox season, but he brings back some minor leaguers who may or may not help the White Sox win things in the future.

So just when you look at that trade, you can make an argument it was awful, and you can make an argument it was fantastic.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/021203closers.html

Olivo was not part of the Foulke/Koch deal....he was the player to be named later for RP Chad Bradford. I think this trade and maybe the one for Adkins/Durham were the ones that were used to "pick on" KW in Moneyball, the Michael Lewis' (aka former MTV VJ Tabitha Soren's husband) book

The A's trade was Foulke, Mark Johnson and RP Joe Valentine for Koch, Cotts and OF Daylan Holt.

Edited by caulfield12

The same argument can be made with Cotts though too. He had one good year for the Sox, but it was in 2005, and the Sox very well may have not won the division without Cotts, let alone the Series. It doesn't go into as many different degrees as the original went, but it's still something to consider all the same.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
I disagree.

Dye, Konerko, Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Rowand, Pods, The 4 starters, Jenks, and even Geoff Blum were more integral.

There's no way you can guarantee the Sox win the World Series without him and that's good enough for me. I wouldn't call any trade Kenny made prior to 2005 that added a player who was a member of the Championship team a bad deal and that includes the Foulke/Koch trade.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
I disagree.

Dye, Konerko, Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Rowand, Pods, The 4 starters, Jenks, and even Geoff Blum were more integral.

Like I said, not a difference maker, but Everett was the DH for pretty much the entire year(with the exception of Franks return and exit), and he drove in some pretty big runs. Everett was definitely in the mix for being an important part of that team

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
I disagree.

Geoff Blum had 1 big hit. If he didn't get it, would the White Sox have lost that game? If yes, would they have lost the WS? We will never know. It could have been huge, but then again, maybe not.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:36 PM)
Everett in '05:

.299/.351/.495/.846 w/ RISP

.302/.434/.558/.992 w/ RISP & 2 out

.317/.371/.529/.901 w/ Men On

Sucks to have a guy like that in the 3 hole, makes it real hard to score runs.

But yeah, Geoff Blum was the more important player.

I had no idea his numbers were that good in those three key situations.