Tigers acquire Gerald Laird

SoxFan1

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:32 AM)
That's a pretty solid pickup for the Tigers. Doesn't seem like they gave up too much in the 25-year-old AA guy, but the 17-year-old pitcher obviously has potential (strictly for being so young if nothing else).

Moscoso has also had some pretty serious shoulder problems the past couple years.

Shows how desperate Jon Daniels is for young pitching that may actually mean something some day (too bad bout Danks and Volquez huh).

Decent enough move from Dombrowski. Now they just have to fill the SS hole (OC's there for ya).

This is what my cousin who lives in Dallas had to say about Laird and the state of Texas sports/economy (in general)

Rangers are interesting. They just gave away Laird, I don't know why. He will come back to haunt them. Good eye at plate. Good bunter. Good hit-and-run. Good arm (above average). Good job with the pitchers. When you have 4 catchers you sometimes forget how valuable they are. A 25 year old injured AA arm is not value for a major league catcher.

John Danks trade could still be OK if McCarthy can stay healthy. Rangers messed with his delivery when he got here and got him hurt.

Through injuries, Rangers started about 12 young pitchers last year and many looked promising. If I were GM, I would try to trade Millwood and Padilla for value so I could make more spots for the kids (it's a numbers game).

Economy is effecting everything. I give up Cowboys tickets next year (you missed your chance of going to a game with me). It was simple math:

2 seat options ($60,000.00)

Price per game $350.00 per seat $700.00 x 10 games $7,000.00.

Guaranteed price for 5 years, then it can go up to anything (no limit) so if you look at losing seat options after 5 years.

$60,000.00 + $35,000.00 = $95,000.00 / 50 games = $1,900.00 per game. This works out to buying a top-of-the-line HD television for each game we don't attend. If you ignore the seat options, you can still buy a nice HD television for each game you miss. So I won't be going to games for the first time in 46 years. Can we get the KC Chiefs back to Dallas?

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Tigers get even worse... signed adam everett to a 1 year 1 million dollar contract.

anybody that thinks the Tigers have a significant amount of money is absolutely fooling themselves. They're so low that they are depending on Ramon Santiago and Adam Everett at SS. I can't imagine how they'll be good next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
anybody that thinks the Tigers have a significant amount of money is absolutely fooling themselves. They're so low that they are depending on Ramon Santiago and Adam Everett at SS. I can't imagine how they'll be good next year.

The Tigers collapse last year was at least to my eyes more a product of some of their big time guys not performing than it was their smaller guys.

If the Tigers had: Granderson stay healthy, Cabrera, Ordonez, and Guillen have normal years, Verlander and Bonderman return to form, and Zumaya stay healthy and transition effectively in to the closer's role, I'd be totally willing to believe they could compete in the Central next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
The Tigers collapse last year was at least to my eyes more a product of some of their big time guys not performing than it was their smaller guys.

If the Tigers had: Granderson stay healthy, Cabrera, Ordonez, and Guillen have normal years, Verlander and Bonderman return to form, and Zumaya stay healthy and transition effectively in to the closer's role, I'd be totally willing to believe they could compete in the Central next year.

And they're going to add a closer in the next few weeks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
This is what my cousin who lives in Dallas had to say about Laird and the state of Texas sports/economy (in general)

John Danks trade could still be OK if McCarthy can stay healthy. Rangers messed with his delivery when he got here and got him hurt.

That part is hilarious. Aside from maybe a slight tweak, there was nothing the Rangers could have done. McCarthy will always be an injury risk. When the equation of violent delivery + max effort + twig frame = 90mph fastball there are some problems. Getting Danks for McCarthy was a brain fart on the part of the Texas Rangers FO, which makes me hope KW deals with them again.

BTW, am I the only one angry at the Rangers for their pitching prospect depth? It's such a waste. That IF is like concrete, it's way too hot all the time, the ball soars out of the park, and the main guy running the show now, Nolan Ryan, has this dated lumberjack-like baseball player philosophy that says pitch count is irrelevant and starters need to put in as much work as possible, even in those conditions. The whole system, top to bottom, is meant to absolutely destroy good pitching prospects as soon as they reach the Majors. It's like they're just stockpiling arms to ruin them and that makes me mad.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)

A lot of it depends on Bonderman's health, Zumaya/Rodney, Robertson returning to form, Sheffield (who looks done)...and maybe the wild card in Porcello, although DD is smart enough not to rush that kind of a pitching talent out of desperation. In many ways, I think they rushed Andr. Miller up to the bigs before he was ready, though. And we thought we had "bad" contracts with MacDougal/Contreras/Konerko. That's nothing compared to the Dontrelle Willis Train Wreck and Sheffield.

Those Maybin and Jurrgens deals will really haunt them IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
And they're going to add a closer in the next few weeks.

Can they afford K-Rod, Fuentes or even Wood in Detroit's future economy?

There are a ton of names out there, though, like Putz, Isringhausen, Cordero, Valverde, Brandon Lyon, Hoffman, Juan Cruz...I guess they'll end up with someone. Hopefully his name is Joe Borowski or Armando Benitez.