caulfield12

J. Hermida

Milton Bradley (declined arbitration)

Dunn (wasn't offered)

Abreu (wasn't offered)

Griffey, Jr. (wasn't offered by ChiSox)

R. Ibanez (declined arbitration)

Juan Rivera

Also, it was interesting that Jon Garland declined arbitration coming off a $12 million dollar one-year contract with the Angels and an ERA of basically 5. The most he could have been cut was down to $9.6 million, so I guess he's still pretty confident he can get the same contract Kyle Lohse signed.

Oliver Perez, Andy Pettitte, Randy Wolf, and Brad Penny. I think those are the four pitchers KW would be most likely to look at if he went the FA route, although Perez might be knocked off the list unless we grab Homer Bailey because it would give us four lefties. Same with Pettitte, although he would seem to be a perfect "veteran fit" to go with Buehrle and mentor Bailey/Poreda/Danks/Floyd, etc. Wolf and Penny have so-so injury histories, at best...then there's Jon Garland, who would be like bringing back Javier Vazquez, essentially.

If it's a short-term (two years max) deal I like Bobby Abreu, or Raul Ibanez or let's just keep Dye for another year and unload on starting pitching.

Long term I'll take Jeremy Hermida or Milton Bradley.

No thanks to Dunn, Junior, or Rivera. Let's hope Kenny can make something happen here.

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:52 AM)
If it's a short-term (two years max) deal I like Bobby Abreu, or Raul Ibanez or let's just keep Dye for another year and unload on starting pitching.

Long term I'll take Jeremy Hermida or Milton Bradley.

No thanks to Dunn, Junior, or Rivera. Let's hope Kenny can make something happen here.

Caulfield12, since you had this topic duplicated I deleted the other one.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 05:11 AM)
Oliver Perez, Andy Pettitte, Randy Wolf, and Brad Penny. I think those are the four pitchers KW would be most likely to look at if he went the FA route, although Perez might be knocked off the list unless we grab Homer Bailey because it would give us four lefties. Same with Pettitte, although he would seem to be a perfect "veteran fit" to go with Buehrle and mentor Bailey/Poreda/Danks/Floyd, etc. Wolf and Penny have so-so injury histories, at best...then there's Jon Garland, who would be like bringing back Javier Vazquez, essentially.

^^ with the key difference being that Garland's playoff ERA is 2.25 and Javy's is 10.34 in about the same amount of IP.

But would you REALLY want to bring back Jon Garland to Chicago at a price tag of $12 million or higher? Based on last season, in what isn't exactly a hitter's park, especially at night?

Maybe? I guess it's a possibility, considering he wouldn't cost a draft pick, but KW keeps hammering away at the point that it's possible to get much better production out of a 4/5 starter for considerably less than Vazquez's $11.5 million last year.

Well, I guess if Jamie Moyer is asking for $20 million over 2 years at his age, almost anything is possible.

Edited by caulfield12

Ibanez will probably go to the Mets I'd say. Minaya's a big fan, and they need better production from LF then what they got from last season.

Dunn would be very interesting, but I'm not sure the Sox need another low BA power hitter. He'll go to the Nats I'll say.

Abreu's probably the most likely, but his defense has really gone downhill, and he'd probably want to stick in RF I'd say.

Rivera's OPS's have gone down over the past couple of seasons from 2006. Big wildcard though. Possible option.

I'd like Hermida as he's got a lot of room to improve, but I'll always worried trading with Larry Beinfest. They always seem to do well in trades (the Olsen / Willingham deal aside).

It wouldn't actually shock me if we made a move for Griffey Jr. to bring him back on a 1 year deal. He had a bad knee which sapped a lot of his power, he has an excellent K/BB ratio, and something around a .775 OPS would be very possible for him at least, which for about $4M isn't too bad. Plus he'll put bums back in seats again as a big name, which is important in the current economic crisis.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
But would you REALLY want to bring back Jon Garland to Chicago at a price tag of $12 million or higher? Based on last season, in what isn't exactly a hitter's park, especially at night?

Maybe? I guess it's a possibility, considering he wouldn't cost a draft pick, but KW keeps hammering away at the point that it's possible to get much better production out of a 4/5 starter for considerably less than Vazquez's $11.5 million last year.

Well, I guess if Jamie Moyer is asking for $20 million over 2 years at his age, almost anything is possible.

Judging by the low bids for free agents this year, I get the feeling that Jon Garland isn't going to get even $10 million per season this off season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
Judging by the low bids for free agents this year, I get the feeling that Jon Garland isn't going to get even $10 million per season this off season.

Yeah, but wait a little while...

The feeding frenzy on starting pitching will pick up again.

Position players may feel the pinch, but pitching always seems to get paid... especially healthy arms with decent track records.

Hermida is going to be very expensive to acquire, his injury prone, and people have questioned his desire to play. He reminds me a bit of a young JD Drew in all those senses, but it's still risky to acquire him. I think putting him on the backburner for now is a good option, and I think the Sox will rather look to free agency to pick up a player on the short-term.

Abreu is a very interesting player to consider in all of this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
Hermida is going to be very expensive to acquire, his injury prone, and people have questioned his desire to play. He reminds me a bit of a young JD Drew in all those senses, but it's still risky to acquire him. I think putting him on the backburner for now is a good option, and I think the Sox will rather look to free agency to pick up a player on the short-term.

Abreu is a very interesting player to consider in all of this.

Not saying I disagree, but isn't Abreu going against everything the club is saying this offseason? I mean, he's old and expensive, even on a short deal.

Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera and Matt Kemp might all be in play...Dodgers/Yankees are discussing a possible deal.

Obviously, Cano or Kemp would look mighty nice in Sox uniforms, although our leadoff problem still lingers. And the costs of acquiring either might be more than KW is willing to part with.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera and Matt Kemp might all be in play...Dodgers/Yankees are discussing a possible deal.

Obviously, Cano or Kemp would look mighty nice in Sox uniforms, although our leadoff problem still lingers. And the costs of acquiring either might be more than KW is willing to part with.

If we're back to being this concerned about salaries, then Cano's contract is something the Sox will stay a mile away from, regardless of the cost to trade fo rhim.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Not saying I disagree, but isn't Abreu going against everything the club is saying this offseason? I mean, he's old and expensive, even on a short deal.

I don't know how expensive he is, but he's pretty damn solid on the bases and gets on base at a pretty damn good rate. On a 2 year deal, he'd be outstanding, and while 3 years is pushing it, he'd still be solid.

-- Make no mistake about it, Jermaine Dye is going to be traded.

Where and when? That's for White Sox general manager Ken Williams to decide.

Williams said the Sox don't need to trade Jermaine Dye, but "we'll just wait and see what this week brings us." Translation - Bye JD. about 3 hours ago

Another fact Sox fans need to digest: Expect Josh Fields, Chris Getz, Jerry Owens, Jeff Marquez and Brian Anderson to be counted on heavily when the team begins spring training in a little more than two months.

Meet your 2009 defending American League Central champions.

Don't like it?

Well, as the defiant Williams so infamously said last spring, ''That doesn't sound like that's a Kenny Williams problem.''

Meet your 2009 defending American League Central champions.

Don't like it?

Wow, Cowley gives us the goods in SunTimes. He's gone.

I guess we're selling high. Dye is damn good. I just hope we get something good for him.

I really would prefer keeping him and trading Paulie or Thome. Guess the no trade clauses deem that impossible, but you'd think Thome and/or Paulie would agree to go to certain teams.

We may miss Dye's bat when all is said and done.

Edited by greg775