Corey Patterson revisited

klaus kinski

Scott Boras represents 16 free agents this offseason -- including such heavyweights as Mark Teixeira, Derek Lowe and Manny Ramirez -- but one player has left the Boras stable. Outfielder Corey Patterson has switched agents and is being advised this winter by Jim Bronner and Bob Gilhooley.

Patterson, the former Cubs phenom, is now 29 years old and has a .291 career on-base percentage in nine seasons with Chicago, Baltimore and Cincinnati. So he's probably looking at a minor league contract with an invitation to big league camp.

If he got a minor league contract with an invite to ST, then this wouldn't be a bad signing. But to consider giving him a major league deal if he was to start for us (if dye does in fact go), then that would be bad IMO. If he were a back up, that's another story, but he's proven time and time again that he can't hit at the major league level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
More steals, fewer walks, several years older (and less chance of developing further), I'd say less power.

In net differences I'd say they're about the same. They are both outstanding fielders, Patterson's probably a little better. The only real difference is that Anderson's only played one full season as a MLB starter.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)
In net differences I'd say they're about the same. They are both outstanding fielders, Patterson's probably a little better. The only real difference is that Anderson's only played one full season as a MLB starter.

Patterson's defense seems like it should be much better, but he doesn't always take the best angles. I'd much rather have Anderson. Wise is better than Patterson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
Patterson's defense seems like it should be much better, but he doesn't always take the best angles. I'd much rather have Anderson. Wise is better than Patterson.

As a fielder? No, definitely not. If Patterson's angles are bad, Wise's are awful.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)

Of course, we all know that if we give Ozzie any other option other than Anderson, then Anderson will be a backup, no matter how crappy the other option is. Especially if the other guy is kind of fast. You sign Patterson he immediately becomes your starting CF.

Why not? The Sox would be adding speed and buying low on a player who once had great potential. If he turns out to be a malcontent or truly unable to play, the the Sox can just release him. He might just fit in nicely batting 9th sometime depending upon who gets traded or signed. Would you rather have Patterson or Wise?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
I'd much rather have Anderson. Wise is better than Patterson.

I'd keep Anderson. Wise is better? Really? I disagree. Patterson is no all star, but he did all right for Baltimore in 2006. His OBP sucks but he is better than Wise in my opinion. He hit .276 with 45 SB and 16 HR in 2006 against some good AL East opponents. Patterson Stats

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Maybe I need to look up his stats but "BA" and "walk" don't go together from what I recall.

Well Brian hasn't logged a ton of plate appearances in his big league career but in his short time in the majors he's walked much more often than Corey Patterson. Patterson draws a walk once every 22 PAs while Brian draws one every 15 PAs. Corey Patterson doesn't even try to give the illusion that gives a crap about drawing walks, they mean nothing to him. Brian also has a much better K:BB ratio.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
Maybe I need to look up his stats but "BA" and "walk" don't go together from what I recall.

It's hard to come up with an exact estimate of his patience at the plate because of the fact that he's never gotten to play more than 1/2 a season at a time and his splits always get screwed up because Ozzie loves putting him in against lefties or in situations that don't fit him.

In 06, Anderson took roughly 1 walk every 12 PA's. In 08, that number declined to 1 every 19 PA's. Last year, Patterson took 1 walk ever 23.5 PA's. That number hasn't been better than 1 in 22 in any of the last few years that I bothered to check.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
How about this to ponder. Would you rather trade for Taveres or pick up Patterson and not give up any talent? If the Sox want speed and he dropped Boras, Patterson is a possibility.

I'd still probably take Taveras. From everything I've read, Taveras will come cheap. He's slightly younger, probably less frustrating to watch, and there is no question he's faster. Like I said yesterday, I gladly welcome the idea of Taveras in CF and batting 9th for the Sox.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
How about this to ponder. Would you rather trade for Taveres or pick up Patterson and not give up any talent? If the Sox want speed and he dropped Boras, Patterson is a possibility.

I'd rather give up Broadway or some other crap we have lying around for Taveras. Corey Patterson is just awful and there's really no reason to believe it's just going to click for him playing in the American League, he's best off heading to Japan.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)

I think there's a fair chance, if we're willing to wait, that both of them get non-tendered... and then we can have our pick.

But given the choice of those two players... or a knee in the groin... the knee is a reasonable option.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
Why not? The Sox would be adding speed and buying low on a player who once had great potential. If he turns out to be a malcontent or truly unable to play, the the Sox can just release him. He might just fit in nicely batting 9th sometime depending upon who gets traded or signed. Would you rather have Patterson or Wise?

Patterson's been in the majors a while now, and has played quite a bit, he just kind of is what he is. He won't be any different.

My point in comparing him to Anderson was to say that if we're going to put a #9 hitter as our starting CF, assuming someone else is going to lead off, I don't see any urgency in replacing Anderson because that's pretty much what he is. And I definitely don't want someone like Patterson or Taveras leading off (I'd be fine with either as #9, but again, I don't see the point).