Corey Patterson revisited

klaus kinski

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
is this what we've come to, serious discussions about corey patterson?

You are right this is CRAZY talk. The Sox have Wise to build around. I'm not talking about trading JD for Patterson. Picking him off the scrap heap and trying to recycle him sounds like a plan that has little risk with some possible benefit. Is some of the Patterson hate due to a ex-cub factor? I know I was sick of hearing about him 5-6 years ago, but fail to see how he is that much worse than Tavares and he would cost practically nothing. Why not throw him in the mix.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Is some of the Patterson hate due to a ex-cub factor? I know I was sick of hearing about him 5-6 years ago, but fail to see how he is that much worse than Tavares and he would cost practically nothing. Why not throw him in the mix.

Corey hit .205 last year with a .238 OBP and a .582 OPS.

They will throw a party in Cincinnati when he moves on to another club to completely eliminate the possibility that Dusty could put him in the lineup.

In roughly 3500 career at-bats he has a .298 OBP.

What 'upside' do you see?

He's horrible. We ought to pool our money together and buy him a one-way plane ticket to Japan just to make sure he doesn't end up here.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Corey hit .205 last year with a .238 OBP and a .582 OPS.

What 'upside' do you see?

He's horrible. We ought to pool our money together and buy him a one-way plane ticket to Japan just to make sure he doesn't end up here.

Fair enough. Point taken. Let him go to Japan. I'm just digging for bargains for the Sox and I really want more team speed. The upside I hoped for was the 2006 season he had with Baltimore where he hit .276 with 45 bags and some pop.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
Fair enough. Point taken. Let him go to Japan. I'm just digging for bargains for the Sox and I really want more team speed. The upside I hoped for was the 2006 season he had with Baltimore where he hit .276 with 45 bags and some pop.

The problem with that thinking is...even when he had a reasonable season in 06 with all those steals and a decent average, he still put up a .314 OBP. In other words, Willy Taveras is actually going to be on base more than him by a fair amount. Ditto Jerry Owens. He also can't hit lefties; hit .206 against them that year, so at best he's a platoon player.

In his best year, he's a decent #9 hitter in a platoon who can provide good CF defense and a number of stolen bases. Anywhere down from his best year and he's a backup/pinch runner/late inning defensive replacement.

If I was convinced that Anderson was a platoon player, the Patterson from 06 would be a good counterpart. On the other hand, I still saw the Anderson of 06 hit righties better than lefties and saw Anderson perform decently against righties for the first part of the year before Wise stepped in (Anderson hit .364 in his limited appearances against Righties in June and .310 against htem in March/April) that I want to see him actually get a shot as a non-platoon player. But I doubt that will ever happen with the Sox.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
How about this to ponder. Would you rather trade for Taveres or pick up Patterson and not give up any talent? If the Sox want speed and he dropped Boras, Patterson is a possibility.

I think trading for Taveras is more valuable simply because you don't have to give up an extra 40-man spot for him, assuming you trade someone on the 40-man for him.