Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3:27 p.m. — Tigers have deal with Everett

The Tigers have reached agreement with free-agent shortstop Adam Everett, according to a major-league source.

The one-year deal will be worth approximately $1 million, plus incentives, and is pending a physical.

Detroit also made official its deal with the Rangers to acquire catcher Gerald Laird, meaning the Tigers have addressed their catcher and shortstop needs in the span of about 24 hours.

Everett hit .213 in 48 games for the Twins last season. He spent seven seasons with the Astros prior to his stint in Minnesota.

Rosenthal

Cabrera's options narrow. If Detroit was ever really an option.

my prediction: we don't sign furcal or hudson, nor do we give any money to penny, lowe, or sheets

rebuilding year, with untradable veterans playing out their final seasons with the Sox (Konerko, Thome, possibly AJ, Buerhle)

i hope Kenny has some blockbuster deals planned though to prove my predictions wrong

First of all, Konerko (if healthy, like the final 6 weeks) and Buerhle are far from untradeable, that's not reality...any player can be traded for the right deal. I mean, if teams are going to pay Mark Texeira $20 million for seven years without much of a post-season resume at all, Konerko's a comparative bargain, IF HEALTHY, which he had pledged to be by undertaking a rigorous offseason training and conditioning program for the first time in his career.

Second, if we put Buehrle on the market, we'd have 10-15 GM's calling within a minute or two.

Thome isn't going anywhere, and neither is AJ. It makes much more sense to keep both than to trade them, especially AJ, as we certainly don't have a replacement ready at this point.

Last year looked like a "rebuilding" year for both the Twins and Sox, and look what happened. This year, DET is so budget-conscious, they're signing Adam Everett, who was run out of Minnesota, to replace Edgar Renteria, who was run out of DET. Things change in a heartbeat in baseball. The Indians look to be rebuilding their bullpen, their outfield, their infield (Marte seems done, Peralta to 3B and sign a SS?, Cabrera at 2B, is Josh Barfield done, will Garko stay at 1B, Hafner done?, what about moving Victor Martinez from behind the plate), and they have huge question marks after Lee and Carmona...Westbrook will miss at least half the season, that leaves Reyes, Scott Lewis, Zach Jackson, Laffey and disappointing Jeremy Sowers.

Their situation isn't much better than ours, pitching wise, and they still have a Titanic for a bullpen.

Other than projecting the Twins' starting pitching to really take off, Liriano to look like the 2006 version, Blackburn and Perkins to win the Cy Young and Delmon Young the MVP, there's no team that scares me in our division right now.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
my prediction: we don't sign furcal or hudson, nor do we give any money to penny, lowe, or sheets

rebuilding year, with untradable veterans playing out their final seasons with the Sox (Konerko, Thome, possibly AJ, Buerhle)

i hope Kenny has some blockbuster deals planned though to prove my predictions wrong

I have a hard time believing KW, Oz and JR would ever go for a full out rebuild, especially on the heels of a division win.

As for Penny and Sheets I wouldnt want us targeting them anyways. Lowe, yes, but he's not coming here.

This comment from Tim Brown at Yahoo sports this afternoon...

The Dodgers were to meet later Monday with Rafael Furcal’s agent, Paul Kinzer. It would appear the market has softened for Furcal, who is fending off suspicions his surgically-repaired back could be an ongoing issue.

Furcal turned down a lowball, four-year offer from the Oakland Athletics last week and might be having trouble finding anything better. He said immediately after the season that he wanted to return to the Dodgers, where he played the last three years, but the significant early interest in him on the free-agent market caused him to explore his options. Those options may be dwindling fast.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

Towers saying peavy's only destination would be the cubs, or they are keeping him

If they trade him to the Cubs, that must mean the financial pressure on Towers is just ridiculous, because there's no way the Cubs have enough to make that a remotely fair deal

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
If they trade him to the Cubs, that must mean the financial pressure on Towers is just ridiculous, because there's no way the Cubs have enough to make that a remotely fair deal

Nah... Towers wants to trade him. No reason to keep an expensive pitcher on a rebuilding team that is going to suck the next couple of years.

You're right about the Cubs not having the players.

But he knows the Cubs are hot for Peavey, so they have to get other teams involved to get the talent package he wants.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
Konerko's a comparative bargain, IF HEALTHY, which he had pledged to be by undertaking a rigorous offseason training and conditioning program for the first time in his career.

Where did you hear of/see this? I wonder what a fit Paul Konerko could do. It would be great if he built up his strength, endurance and lost some of that flab through a conditioning program. Maybe we would be in store for another 40 HR/100+ RBI season from him?

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
Where did you hear of/see this? I wonder what a fit Paul Konerko could do. It would be great if he built up his strength, endurance and lost some of that flab through a conditioning program. Maybe we would be in store for another 40 HR/100+ RBI season from him?

eh?

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
Nah... Towers wants to trade him. No reason to keep an expensive pitcher on a rebuilding team that is going to suck the next couple of years.

You're right about the Cubs not having the players.

But he knows the Cubs are hot for Peavey, so they have to get other teams involved to get the talent package he wants.

There's plenty of reason to hold Peavy right now if you can afford him...he's signed for a number of years, and right now is probably the worst market in recent memory for expensive players because of the economy. If you put Peavy on the market last offseason, same price, you'd have had a number of suitors offering dramatically more than the Cubs possibly could.

If the Pads wait a year or two, and the economy does slowly recover, then more teams would likely get in on that action.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
I'd guess that the Cubs are the only team willing to pick up the $22M option for Peavy to waive his NTC. That would limit the suitors real quick.

I have no idea where that team could possibly be finding this much money with all the other contracts they have.