Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
I'd do it for Kemp or Loney as well. Those guys are legit talents.

They're talented but with the Sox roster as constructed they're not as valuable to me as Jenks is unless I think Bobby isn't going to hold up because of some other medical report i've gotten

I doubt he's "looking" for a 2-3 year contract. Maybe this is where you got that...

I think Garland would be smart going to the NL. But I would take him back in a heartbeat. I thought the thing on Garland was he always wanted to pitch on the west coast closer to family.

No, Rotoworld said that he's looking for a 2 or 3 year deal.

Jon Garland-S- Angels Dec. 8 - 6:09 pm et

Jon Garland is looking for a two- or three-year deal, and his agent says the Orioles are among the teams interested.

Baltimore makes plenty of sense as a destination for Garland. The Orioles don't want to pay top dollar for starters, but they do need an innings eater or two. Garland has quickly gone from overvalued to undervalued after a disappointing 2009 season. He's not great, but he's just 29 and he's never been hurt. He might be better off going the Kyle Lohse route and taking a one-year contract this winter.

Not to sound like an idiot (which happens sometimes) and I'm sure no economic major...but could somebody explain to me how "the economy" is effecting the FAs and the GM talks? Are TV revenues going down. Will less people be attending games. Are they anticipating corporate dollars from suites, advertising, etc depleting...

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Yes, yes, and yes.

And beyond that...it's worth remembering that a lot of these guys who own teams have good chunks of their own personal money invested in the stock market, which has taken a 40% drop in the last year or so. Which means there's just a lot less cash in their pockets to provide security in the event of a bad move.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhGV...o&type=lgns

Speculation about Kerry Wood to become new Tigers' closer.

Casey Blake looks close to a 3 year deal with LA. Furcal going back to Dodgers looking for an offer again. Eckstein and Izturis might figure in, no mention of Cabrera in the mix.

Twins now looking at Jack Wilson, too.

Very little mention of Joe Crede's name, strange with Boras as his agent.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
A Zumaya, Rodney, Wood combo is going to be a terror on the Tigers. At least, until we see Fields launch one of their fastballs 400 +.

I have trouble believing that they're buying on Adam Everett and at the same time blowing money on Kerry Wood.

That combo will be a terror in # of DL trips.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 06:45 PM)
Good for CC if he does sign there and declines bigger deals elsewhere.

He hits too well to go to the American league. Man, that would piss of the Yankees and their gazillions. I doubt the Dodgers would want to pay for both CC and Manny. It may make Furcal less likely to go back as well. The Dodgers are must be chatty. There is a lot of news coming out of L.A.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
A Zumaya, Rodney, Wood combo is going to be a terror on the Tigers. At least, until we see Fields launch one of their fastballs 400 +.

I'd like to see Fields launch ANYBODY'S fastball 400+ feet.....

The Orioles and Reds are discussing a trade that would send catcher Ramon Hernandez to Cincinnati in exchange for Ryan Freel and a mid-level prospect, but the deal cannot be completed unless the Orioles pick up a significant portion of Hernandez's remaining salary, major-league sources say.

Hernandez is owed $8 million in 2009 with a club option of $8.5 million or a $1 million buyout for 2010, meaning he is guaranteed $9 million.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8912072

This is definite info that makes me think JD to the Reds is dead. The Reds probably wanted to unload that contract on us and KW refused.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Just an indication on how the FA market has fallen, NY papers report that Mets initial offer to K-Rod was 2y/$25M (plus option). Pretty incredible considering he was seeking 5/$75M. Makes me wonder about where the market for corner OF'ers and second-tier SP will be.

Second tier position players are going to see a huge drop in offers as well. Which helps us out ALOT.

6:57pm: MLB.com's Alyson Footer says the Twins expressed interest in Tejada. The Astros would like to get one of the Twins' young starters, and would be willing to eat salary.

Footer adds that interest in Ty Wigginton is "abundant," with the Twins again a possible match. She nixes the idea of the 'Stros acquiring Ramon Hernandez from Baltimore.