Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:00 AM)
Second tier position players are going to see a huge drop in offers as well. Which helps us out ALOT.

Yep. Probably harder to deal Dye though. Dusty seems to be a big fan of Dye, hopefully that deal is still alive.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Just an indication on how the FA market has fallen, NY papers report that Mets initial offer to K-Rod was 2y/$25M (plus option). Pretty incredible considering he was seeking 5/$75M. Makes me wonder about where the market for corner OF'ers and second-tier SP will be.

These guys better sign quickly or there could be a collapse in the market and there will be a lot of 4-7 million dollar players gettin 2-3 mil. KW was ahead of the curve again to save some salary so he could buy in the down market just like he was ahead of the PED crackdown. We have a very good GM.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
Reds are close to trading Freel to the O's. I think a move like that opens salary room for them and is a possible prelude to the Dye-Bailey move.

Except the rumor is Freel for Hernandez who makes $8M next year, even if the Orioles picked up half of his '09 salary the Reds would still be adding $1M in payroll rather than subtracting from it.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:16 PM)
Reds are close to trading Freel to the O's. I think a move like that opens salary room for them and is a possible prelude to the Dye-Bailey move.

Rosenthal is reporting a Freel for Henandez swap. That won't open any salary unfortunately. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot more sellers than buyers. I'd be very nervous if I were a 2nd tier free agent like Crede, Uribe, or Cabrera. See Rosenthal 7:50 Update

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
Rosenthal is reporting a Freel for Henandez swap. That won't open any salary unfortunately. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot more sellers than buyers. I'd be very nervous if I were a 2nd tier free agent like Crede, Uribe, or Cabrera. See Rosenthal 7:50 Update

speaking of Joe...what's the poop on his back/rehab?........

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
Why would getting a CF open up the 2B spot?

Their outfield is full (Scott-Jones-Markakis) if they acquire Freel with intent of playing him everyday (I doubt that's what they're doing) he's either gonna have to platoon with someone or play 2B/3B with one of Mora/Roberts going elsewhere, Freel has played plenty of infield in his career.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
Yep, and it would be for one year, and I doubt he'd sign an extension in this baseball economy.

He'd be a perfect 1 year stop gap before Beckham is ready. The problem is not the 2nd basemen in the system, it's the players the O's will ask for.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:51 AM)
He'd be a perfect 1 year stop gap before Beckham is ready. The problem is not the 2nd basemen in the system, it's the players the O's will ask for.

You don't give up the players we'd have to for Roberts for him to be a stop gap.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)
Roberts makes no sense for the Sox now with all of the 2nd baseman in our system. There's a better chance of Roberts ending up in the other part of Chicago.

Nix is an "old prospect", Lillibridge is a question mark, Betemit seems more like a utility player, and Getz is unproven (although looked good in limited play last year). I wouldn't mind seeing what Getz can do, but I'd rather move some pieces for a proven All-Star who is a leadoff man. Problem is the price tag.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:01 PM)
It's too quiet on the Kenny Williams front.

I think the Dye to the Reds thing is dead.

I'm thinking the Sox won't do anything this week. Nothing is going to happen until Teixeira and Sabathia sign, and then the dominoes will fall. If Teixeira leaves the Angels, maybe they will get into discussions about Konerko or Dye.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:59 AM)
Nix is an "old prospect", Lillibridge is a question mark, Betemit seems more like a utility player, and Getz is unproven (although looked good in limited play last year). I wouldn't mind seeing what Getz can do, but I'd rather move some pieces for a proven All-Star who is a leadoff man. Problem is the price tag.

If those players aren't good enough to be considered starters, then KW's trades deserve even more scrutiny.