Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
If the Cubs get Peavy, they'll have the best rotation in baseball (at least for the first month). It's silly to compare our rotation to that. No matter what happens in the first 162 games for the Cubs, we can hold out hope that they've lost 9 straight playoff games and Peavy has no balls in the postseason.

Sorry, I deleted the post, because yeah, it was kinda ludicrous. What I really mean is that there could be an interesting contrast between the All-Star lineup the Cubs’ll bring with the Young Guns that the White Sox could have. I think we’ll be competitive, yeah, but in no way was I equating the two. Sorry

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:31 AM)
Sorry, I deleted the post, because yeah, it was kinda ludicrous. What I really mean is that there could be an interesting contrast between the All-Star lineup the Cubs'll bring with the Young Guns that the White Sox could have. I think we'll be competitive, yeah, but in no way was I equating the two. Sorry

Gotcha, I'll delete my post if you want.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:39 AM)
Why are so many teams willing to help out the cubs? It really is pathetic. Basically it will cost any team that is not the cubs $24M more than the cubs to acquire him.

I don't get it either. They're close to signing Ibanez also.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
I don't get it either. They're close to signing Ibanez also.

Take it from some one from Seattle, Ibanez in RF will be the most hilarious thing baseball has seen. He makes Rob Mackowiak look like a defensive wizard in the OF.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
Why are so many teams willing to help out the cubs? It really is pathetic. Basically it will cost any team that is not the cubs $24M more than the cubs to acquire him.

This would be another example of: (a) a player deciding that the Cubs are the perfect place to play, what with all their "tradition" (Peavy waiving his no-trade clause); and (B) a stupid executive of a cash-strapped team dealing with his buddy Jim Hendry and giving away the store (Towers, who has mismanaged this from the outset).

There's some speculation that DeRosa could go to Philly as part of this deal. I'll believe it when I see it. But if it happens, you can bet that Hendry will be all sad at the press conference, talking about his regret in trading "a quality person like Mark" blah, blah, blah.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:53 AM)
Aren't the Cubs technically still owned by the Tribune Co.? Didn't the Tribune Co. file for Bankrupcy today? There seems to be something morally wrong with them adding millions to the payroll when some of their creditors won't be paid.

Yep, the whole thing makes no sense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)
Aren't the Cubs technically still owned by the Tribune Co.? Didn't the Tribune Co. file for Bankrupcy today? There seems to be something morally wrong with them adding millions to the payroll when some of their creditors won't be paid.

I dont know if it means anything in the grand scheme of things, but the Score reported that while the Tribune filed for Bankruptcy, The Cubs and Wrigley Field were not part of the bankruptcy claim

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)

It's the Cubs. It's a fantasy world where common sense goes out the window, like when people refer to the franchise's rich history. Sure, they haven't won in 100 years, but that's just logic. I mean, in the world of fantasy, their tradition is storied and celebrated. Why, when you think about it, they're a f***ing dynasty I tell you, a dynasty.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
This would be another example of: (a) a player deciding that the Cubs are the perfect place to play, what with all their "tradition" (Peavy waiving his no-trade clause)

Along with all that tradition you get a perennially underachieving team with a bloated salary, ownership in disarray, and a home stadium that is falling apart at the foundation. That's cool though, if you think a 100 year losing streak qualifies as "tradition".

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
Along with all that tradition you get a perennially underachieving team with a bloated salary, ownership in disarray, and a home stadium that is falling apart at the foundation. That's cool though, if you think a 100 year losing streak qualifies as "tradition".

Yeah, that's why it's in quotes.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
"Williams added that recently acquired catcher Tyler Flowers has the ability to hit on the major league level now. Flowers is likely to start the season at Double-A Birmingham."

This intrigued me.

I wonder if we'll see Flowers as a DH in Chicago in 2010, before we see him as a catcher replacing AJ?

Obviously, he has 5X more value if he can catch at least "adequately," so you'd hope they wouldn't rush him, but Viciedo, Flowers and possibly Fields would be the best internal candidates to replace Thome in 2010.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
I wonder if we'll see Flowers as a DH in Chicago in 2010, before we see him as a catcher replacing AJ?

Obviously, he has 5X more value if he can catch at least "adequately," so you'd hope they wouldn't rush him, but Viciedo, Flowers and possibly Fields would be the best internal candidates to replace Thome in 2010.

Not sure, I just hope they don't rush him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)

I think that the smart move would be to keep him in the minors to let him continue to work on his D and game calling. If he DH's for a season that's a lot of playing time at catcher that he would be missing.

If we traded Konerko for some reason, then I think it's going to come down to fielding ability over there between Allen and Flowers, which would obviously favor Allen at this point in their careers.

I'd hate to waste Viciedo's arm strength at 1B...3B or RF would be more ideal, if possible destinations.

Fields goes from an offensive "plus" at 3B to so-so/mehhh at 1B, kind of like Swisher would have been had he stayed and Paulie was traded.

Long time reader but first post so here we go.....

I see Matt Kemp as not only an better CFer then what we have had recently(Swisher, Griffey) along with a feasible leadoff man(anything is better then jerry owens)... and cheap for now...

Before recent talk of Casey Blake signing back with the Dodgers I was thinking a package built around Fields... obv now that would probably not be the starting point... So what everyone think it would take and worth it?

Hes gonna be a STUD....!!!!