Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
A three way swap with Dye/Greinke/Fancoueur would make me absolutely giddy.

Me too. I just can't see KC allowing Greinke to end up with the Sox. Greinke is a real good looking young ball player according to HAWK. He's a pretty good pitcher too. Although, didn't he kinda quit one season? If Hanson is not untouchable, that is the guy to get. Let the Braves keep Greinke.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
Me too. I just can't see KC allowing Greinke to end up with the Sox. Greinke is a real good looking young ball player according to HAWK. He's a pretty good pitcher too. Although, didn't he kinda quit one season? If Hanson is not untouchable, that is the guy to get. Let the Braves keep Greinke.

Greinke had a mental breakdown because he'd never played for a team as bad as the Royals and wasn't used to losing...er, at least that's the story he told.

Hanson is off limits. If he was available, Jake Peavy would be a Brave already.

My guess is we're after one of these 3 players at least as part of a deal;

Gregor Blanco (leadoff CF)

Charlie Morton

Jo-Jo Reyes

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
Any chance Atlanta is willing to part with Jair Jurrjens?

Highly doubt it.

They've been after 2 SP's all off-season, and they'd have to go after another if they dealt Jurrjens.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
Hanson is off limits. If he was available, Jake Peavy would be a Brave already.

My guess is we're after one of these 3 players at least as part of a deal;

Gregor Blanco (leadoff CF)

Charlie Morton

Jo-Jo Reyes

I thought a big part of the deal falling apart was because Peavy didnt want Escobar going to the Pads in the return?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
I thought a big part of the deal falling apart was because Peavy didnt want Escobar going to the Pads in the return?

Well that as well, but the Braves could have always signed a replacement.

I think if Hanson was available, a trade would have been done.

Yeah, I'd certainly rather have Bailey instead of Jackson.

And I know some people may think I'm crazy for that, but Jackon's numbers scare me, I think his ERA would rise at the Cell, and Bailey is younger, cheaper and I think has far more potential.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
Yeah, I'd certainly rather have Bailey instead of Jackson.

And I know some people may think I'm crazy for that, but Jackon's numbers scare me, I think his ERA would rise at the Cell, and Bailey is younger, cheaper and I think has far more potential.

I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with you. Bailey was on of the top prospects in baseball just a year ago.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
KW is getting suckered again, time to blame the media or "leaks" in the organization.

Well, whatever happened (or didn't happen last offseason), it turned out okay for us, right?

How is he being suckered? Because you happen to believe we're trading him for just Edwin Jackson? Or can you provide more examples of KW being suckered during his regime (besides the Todd Ritchie trade, or Durham for Adkins)?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with you. Bailey was on of the top prospects in baseball just a year ago.

I don’t know if anyone has the link, but two years ago SI had a next big thing section of its annual MLB season preview. On it were a couple notable names, Alex Gordon, Justin Upton, Chris Ianetta, Kevin Kouzmanoff, and two notable pitching prospects, Phil Hughes and Homer Bailey. That’s some good company, right there. I really hope KW is trying to raise the Reds offer, because I don’t want to end up with Jackson or Morton when we could have had Homer.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
I guess I have never seen KW clean house, he is definitely cleaning house right now.

To think, were a good leadoff hitter from being an elite team last year. Now its a combination of prospects, and I hate prospects. So hit or miss.

No we weren't. Our bullpen and Javy were awful in the second half of the year, Contreras was hurt, and our MVP-candidate LF injured himself with a month left in the season. A leadoff hitter wouldn't have done squat to change that.

Let's stop it with the myth that a scrappy leadoff hitter is all we need to reach the World Series again, OK?

1:10pm: Roman Modrowski of the Chicago Sun-Times says Peavy sang "Go Cubs, Go" at a Vegas bar last night. Good times.

Kerry Wood likely signing to be Indians' closer now, instead of with the Tigers.

Some crazy team is going to give Derek FREAKING Lowe $80 million over 5 years. Now I know why Jon Garland turned down arbitration with the Angels. Geez, that's a lot of Lowe at this stage in his career, especially if he goes back to the hitter-friendly AL. And Jamie Moyer asking for $20 million over 2 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
Some crazy team is going to give Derek FREAKING Lowe $80 million over 5 years. Now I know why Jon Garland turned down arbitration with the Angels. Geez, that's a lot of Lowe at this stage in his career, especially if he goes back to the hitter-friendly AL. And Jamie Moyer asking for $20 million over 2 years.

I'll believe that when I see it. If K-Rod is going to wind up around 3/$40...

QUOTE (almagest @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
No we weren't. Our bullpen and Javy were awful in the second half of the year, Contreras was hurt, and our MVP-candidate LF injured himself with a month left in the season. A leadoff hitter wouldn't have done squat to change that.

Let's stop it with the myth that a scrappy leadoff hitter is all we need to reach the World Series again, OK?

And our All-Star 3rd basemen hardly did a thing post-break.

Edited by Thunderbolt

We were a healthy Linebrink, a healthy Quentin, a better leadoff hitter, a healthy 2005-ish Crede (although I think we could have made it with Uribe, probably, the way he was playing defense and hitting there at the end) and exchanging a "bulldog" like Garland/Garcia as 4th for Vazquez away from being a World Series team.

You could probably also add in there "normal/career average" seasons from Konerko and Swisher respectively.

Edited by caulfield12