Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Brad Penny and Brian Anderson preparing to reunite and have another night out on the town.

I think we're looking at Abreu (LF) and Penny (4th starter, with Richard/Marquez 5th) in the FA market.

When he does get around to trades, I think if KW can flip Fields and a low level spect to the Marlins for Hermida, he will, especially if Dye is dealt.

He'll also explore a trade for Brian Roberts but the price will be too high...he may still pull the trigger.

As a last resort, if he doesn't get Roberts, he'll look to get Tavares for Broadway and he'll start in CF and lead-off (ugh!).

From what I read here, you expect 5 guys in our outfield next year? Abreu and Quentin both in LF, Dye and Hermida in RF, and Taveras in CF? A ball would never drop in that outfield! :lolhitting

What are the chances that Beckham can play 3rd? B&B were talking a couple hours ago about Beckham and felt he was going to be in the majors early in the year and playing 3rd. If that's the case, then it opens up the possibility of Furcal.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
What are the chances that Beckham can play 3rd? B&B were talking a couple hours ago about Beckham and felt he was going to be in the majors early in the year and playing 3rd. If that's the case, then it opens up the possibility of Furcal.

Beckham has played, what, a month's worth of minor league baseball? No doubt he's a big talent but let's not get out of hand here.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)

from what i've read, beckham doesn't have the arm to play 3rd (or short..), and he was projected as more of a 2B, though the Sox are firmly planting him at SS in the minors until he's brought up

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
from what i've read, beckham doesn't have the arm to play 3rd (or short..), and he was projected as more of a 2B, though the Sox are firmly planting him at SS in the minors until he's brought up

Yeah that's what I thought and has always been my assumption. I though I might have missed something.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
TIFWIW, but the Reds have reportedly signed Livan Hernandez, and their rotation appears pretty complete right now barring a Harang or Arroyo deal.

I think it's been discredited. I actually posted this about five minutes ago, but it looks like the report was false.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)

His arm isn't the problem, it's plenty strong. Whether he has the range and footwork to stick at short is the question.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
His arm isn't the problem, it's plenty strong. Whether he has the range and footwork to stick at short is the question.

Right, and there havent been all that many scouts that say he cant stay at SS. His arm is plenty strong for 3B.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
82? Livan must be on the juice

Back when he was on the D-Backs Livan would go from throwing 80-85 MPH fastballs, to 65 MPH breaking balls. It was completely, befuddling to all the young hitters. The old hitters, however, called it batting practice.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Back when he was on the D-Backs Livan would go from throwing 80-85 MPH fastballs, to 65 MPH breaking balls. It was completely, befuddling to all the young hitters. The old hitters, however, called it batting practice.

Except for the Cubs in the playoffs. That was the worst, best peformance in the history of sports.

5:32 p.m. — Furcal's price to drop?

The failure of free-agent closer Francisco Rodriguez to get the contract he initially desired has encouraged teams that the prices for other prominent free agents might also drop.

Specifically, two teams interested in Rafael Furcal — the Dodgers and Blue Jays — are hoping that they can now make serious runs at the free-agent shortstop.

The Dodgers are willing to offer a multi-year deal, sources say, but only a dollar amount they find acceptable.

Per Rosey.