Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
If we get Willy T, then you get Jerry Owens with a better arm and a recovering broken leg.

woo.

hoo.

Yeah, but it's still better than Jerry Owens. Taveras would be vastly superior to Jerry in CF. Essentially, you get a younger Jerry Owens who has actually performed pretty well at the Major League level. Maybe not last year, but who's to say he won't rebound. We're in a world of hurt if a 28-year-old rookie CF is leading off for us.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Yeah, but it's still better than Jerry Owens. Taveras would be vastly superior to Jerry in CF. Essentially, you get a younger Jerry Owens who has actually performed pretty well at the Major League level. Maybe not last year, but who's to say he won't rebound. We're in a world of hurt if a 28-year-old rookie CF is leading off for us.

not quite a rookie, but the point remains the same. Owens would have to hit about .300 to be a valuable member of the team while remaining healthy enough to steal 50-60 bases. I just don't like those odds.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 01:17 PM)
I'd be fine with trading Owens and not signing Taveras and having Pie compete with Anderson going into spring training. Pie's upside as a hitter is exponentially bigger then that of Taveras and Owens combined.

Pie will also only be 24 when the season starts.

He was decent in AAA last season as a leadoff guy, but he is a plus defender in CF and could be a force at the bottom of the order. He also has alot more power than Owens does.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
Pie will also only be 24 when the season starts.

He was decent in AAA last season as a leadoff guy, but he is a plus defender in CF and could be a force at the bottom of the order. He also has alot more power than Owens does.

Plus, if he succeeds with the Sox, it'll grind the gears of every Cubs fan in Chicago. :lol:

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
Plus, if he succeeds with the Sox, it'll grind the gears of every Cubs fan in Chicago. :lol:

trading him, or letting him go is going to get them pretty good as well. The kid really hasnt had a consistent shot to succeed at the major league level IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
trading him, or letting him go is going to get them pretty good as well. The kid really hasnt had a consistent shot to succeed at the major league level IMO.
What are the chances of this happening, do you think? I've always been a fan of Pie, and wondered why the Cubs continually stuck him on the bench. What would it take to get him?

On another note, let's stop with the Taveras stuff, ok? He's gotten on base at a good clip exactly ONCE in his career, for about a half of a season. He's also never scored more than about 80 runs in a season. He's. Not. Good.

The problem is that Taveras just MIGHT be the best option out of all the worst-case scenarios out there. Jerry Owens also has a better than 50/50 shot at not getting the job done or staying healthy. Anderson can't lead off. Wise isn't a CFer. Are you in the lead off with Getz/Lillibridge (2B) and put Anderson at 9th in the order camp?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
The problem is that Taveras just MIGHT be the best option out of all the worst-case scenarios out there. Jerry Owens also has a better than 50/50 shot at not getting the job done or staying healthy. Anderson can't lead off. Wise isn't a CFer. Are you in the lead off with Getz/Lillibridge (2B) and put Anderson at 9th in the order camp?

To be honest, I dont think you will see Willy T on the Sox, but I could be totally in the dark there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Yes. Taveras is a #9 hitter anyway. No hit + speed != leadoff hitter. If we are in a rebuilding year, let's give Anderson one last shot at the job, and see if he can play. If he can't cut it, Lillibridge may also be able to play CF, otherwise just stick Owens out there because you'll get almost exactly the same out of him as you will Taveras -- Willy might be a little bit better, but not nearly enough to make any sort of substantial difference.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 09:57 PM)

While i don't think we can discount Anderson leading off it becomes a necessity. I'm in the Lillibridge leading off with BA in the 9 hole camp.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)

Oh absolutely. Hell if he puts it together, he is scary dangerous. A 5 tool player actually putting it all together.. Sick.

QUOTE (almagest @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
Yes. Taveras is a #9 hitter anyway. No hit + speed != leadoff hitter. If we are in a rebuilding year, let's give Anderson one last shot at the job, and see if he can play. If he can't cut it, Lillibridge may also be able to play CF, otherwise just stick Owens out there because you'll get almost exactly the same out of him as you will Taveras -- Willy might be a little bit better, but not nearly enough to make any sort of substantial difference.

Willy Taveras plays a better defensive CF and hits at about the same clip as Owens. Whether he's worth to the Sox what he'll get in free agency is a different story, but that'd be the reason he'd be brought in over Owens and Anderson.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
I have (my boy) Lillibridge penciled in for 2B. I also don't see Alexei moved unless a Furcal-like SS falls into our laps

So then who is in CF and who leads off? Anderson and Getz I presume?

I still think Lillibridge is on the bench and splits a lot of time with Getz and Taveras/Anderson/Owens while giving Alexei the occasional day off, and for all I know, he could even be the starter. From what I understand though, the organization likes Getz at 2B and I think that he's going to be the favorite going into spring.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
Nah, BA in CF and Lillibridge leading off from 2B

yeah that's what I meant

The offseason really isn't even half over yet, though it pretty much wraps itself up by the middle of January because then teams get ready for their fan fests and then head off to spring training two weeks later, but there's still a lot of time for all of this to figure itself out. I'm not sure how good this team is going to be, but it's probably going to be atleast a little fun to watch. It's been a while since the Sox have done any type of intentional youth movement...probably 2004, and even then it was a pretty veteran loaded opening day lineup too, and that team was in first place as late as July 24th before the injuries and Torii Hunter's collision with Burke finally started to derail the team.

It'll be interesting to watch it all play out.