Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
I disagree. Dye broke his leg in a freak accident, but he was pretty consistent in games played outside of the year after he broke his leg, Kotsay has been missing 30 games or more for the past 3 years

Kotsay

Dye

I wasn't comparing them statistically - more the idea of signing an outfielder with some injury issues, who is older but not OLD yet. Seems like a Kenny-type move to me.

I could be wrong of course. Just seems like the type of guy Kenny would target.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
I wasn't comparing them statistically - more the idea of signing an outfielder with some injury issues, who is older but not OLD yet. Seems like a Kenny-type move to me.

Being that Kotsay is a Sox killer, I completely agree with that

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)

Kotsay is a much better player, but I'd say a Kotsay signing would be more comparable to the Erstad signing. Kotsay would actually help if he's healthy, but like the Erstad deal, I don't think you want to give him any more than one year with the possibility of a team option for a second. A low base with incentives would be ideal, but he hit well with Atlanta last year so he might get a little bit more, like maybe $5M or something for one year.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:07 AM)
Kotsay is a much better player, but I'd say a Kotsay signing would be more comparable to the Erstad signing. Kotsay would actually help if he's healthy, but like the Erstad deal, I don't think you want to give him any more than one year with the possibility of a team option for a second. A low base with incentives would be ideal, but he hit well with Atlanta last year so he might get a little bit more, like maybe $5M or something for one year.

A relatively low base deal, with incentives, 1 year with an option, might not be a bad move.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
Assuming Dye is gone, I count about $46 million off of last years' payroll:

Cabrera 10.0

Swisher 3.6

Dye 9.5

Uribe 4.5

Crede 5.1

Vazquez 11.5

Griffey 2.0?

Total = $46.2 mil

Also Hall's $1.75 million. That would be $48 million gone with well over $20 million coming off after 2009 (Thome, Contreras). Its crazy to think KW wouldn't add payroll especially if he trades Dye. Losing $48 million in salaries and raising ticket prices isn't going to happen.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:49 AM)
Nobody here thinks the likes of Lillibridge, Nix, Betemit, Owens, Anderson, Marquez, Broadway, Richard, Poreda, Bailey etc. etc. are MLB ready to play 162 (30+ for starting pitchers) games, and I firmly

believe none of those players are good enough to be part of a platoon for a whole season

I Do. Don't put words in my mouth. Everyone (but Owens) that you just listed has serious potential to help the team win now.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
I Do. Don't put words in my mouth. Everyone (but Owens) that you just listed has serious potential to help the team win now.

I'd make the slight difference that Broadway, probably, isn't going to help much. But Owens as a 4th OF isn't a bad option, and I agree that the rest of the list is people who can and probably will help the team now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
I'd make the slight difference that Broadway, probably, isn't going to help much. But Owens as a 4th OF isn't a bad option, and I agree that the rest of the list is people who can and probably will help the team now.

Broadway’s iffy, yeah, but I figured my point would lose meaning if I listed a series of players backing the guy I was refuting up. Broadway might make a decent long-man. Who knows? And I’ll throw my hat into the Milton Bradley ring. Assuming we have a decent backup option to spell him from his injuries, he’s a professional hitter who would wreak havoc in the Cell.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
Broadway’s iffy, yeah, but I figured my point would lose meaning if I listed a series of players backing the guy I was refuting up. Broadway might make a decent long-man. Who knows? And I’ll throw my hat into the Milton Bradley ring. Assuming we have a decent backup option to spell him from his injuries, he’s a professional hitter who would wreak havoc in the Cell.

I would rather avoid Bradley's attitude, I just don't like him at all. Just my personal opinion, which I am sure most don't share.

But no doubt he could be a huge bat in the lineup.

According to one National League executive, the Kansas City Royals and Atlanta Braves have had serious discussions about a trade that would send outfielder Jeff Francouer to the Royals for pitcher Zack Greinke. The same source said he believed the teams were close to executing the deal, but that Atlanta was holding up any and all trade discussions until the Braves had a resolution of their pursuit of right-hander AJ Burnett. mlbtraderumors

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
I would rather avoid Bradley's attitude, I just don't like him at all. Just my personal opinion, which I am sure most don't share.

i think he’d be in a good place here. He’ll have Ozzie and AJ around, and the clubhouse guys here are a lot more assertive then who he was surrounded with back in his Cleveland/LA days. Remember Bradley went mostly without incident last year, because he had a good group of friends in Hamilton and Kinsler. I wouldn’t be surpassed if he finds a place here for two year. Incidentally, he’s exactly the type of player the Cubs need to shake them from their offensive complacency in the playoffs. He could give a damn about curses, he just wants to get his numbers and his money.

This is interesting (from MLB Trade Rumors):

8:36am: Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the Cardinals remain focused on short-term deals for starters. Possible names include Oliver Perez, Andy Pettitte, Brad Penny, and Randy Wolf. They'll meet with Wolf's agent by tomorrow afternoon.

John Mozeliak now seems open to a two or three-year deal for a reliever. He could trade an outfielder like Ryan Ludwick for a top guy, but shot down the idea of Ryan Madson. Makes no sense, Madson is only under team control for one more year. Schumaker and Chris Duncan are trade bait for Mozeliak.

8:28am: Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun says the Cards have interest in Blue Jays lefty Scott Downs. Downs is owed $7.75MM over the next two seasons.

8:01am: We know the Cardinals chatted with the Braves about Mike Gonzalez and Blaine Boyer. Gerry Fraley says they also had trade talks with the Phillies, hoping to trade an outfielder for a reliever. Rick Ankiel and Skip Schumaker are apparently popular with other teams.

Ludwick is worrisome simply because he had been a AAAA player up until last year and is 30 years old, but if he's going to come that cheap then the Sox should really take a good luck at him. I assume they want more than just a top reliever under team control, but would anyone send them something like Linebrink + Richard + a prospect or two? Or something along those lines? That would seem a very cheap price to pay for a guy who hit .299/.375/.591 last year with 37 HR and 113 RBI.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
According to one National League executive, the Kansas City Royals and Atlanta Braves have had serious discussions about a trade that would send outfielder Jeff Francouer to the Royals for pitcher Zack Greinke. The same source said he believed the teams were close to executing the deal, but that Atlanta was holding up any and all trade discussions until the Braves had a resolution of their pursuit of right-hander AJ Burnett. mlbtraderumors

If the Royals do this each and every member of that front office needs to be fired, while each member of the Braves staff needs a promotion.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)

Don't worry, you're not alone in that sentiment. I wouldn't bash the signing because there's no doubt he's got a lot of qualities we need, but eesh, the clubhouse stuff...I'm not sure how the Sox clubhouse is going to be next year with all these changes, let alone adding a potential catalyst like Bradley...

It could work, but I think there are other outfielders I'd rather see in a Sox uni.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
If the Royals do this each and every member of that front office needs to be fired, while each member of the Braves staff needs a promotion.

On the surface it is highway robbery for the Braves, but they were rumored to be offering Schafer in the Peavy deal, and now the Peavy deal seems dead. With Gregor Blanco emerging for them last year, a Schafer + Hermida deal could be a nice move for the Royals (although they already have a bunch of outfielders).

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
This is interesting (from MLB Trade Rumors):

Ludwick is worrisome simply because he had been a AAAA player up until last year and is 30 years old, but if he's going to come that cheap then the Sox should really take a good luck at him. I assume they want more than just a top reliever under team control, but would anyone send them something like Linebrink + Richard + a prospect or two? Or something along those lines? That would seem a very cheap price to pay for a guy who hit .299/.375/.591 last year with 37 HR and 113 RBI.

I'm a little rusty, but I think we'll have a hard time dealing Linebrink anywhere with his contract. The move was kind of laughed at around the baseball world when we gave him all those dollars. I think we're stuck with him whether it was the right move or not (my leanings say he'll be worth the money in the long run, but another injury or two...)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)

6 organizations and has never played more than 216 games for any of them. I don't know if he can even play the OF full time at this point. But one thing to keep in mind, KW was after him right after he became GM. He wound up in Cleveland. I'm with you, he's a volcano that can erupt at any time. Its not worth it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
I'm a little rusty, but I think we'll have a hard time dealing Linebrink anywhere with his contract. The move was kind of laughed at around the baseball world when we gave him all those dollars. I think we're stuck with him whether it was the right move or not (my leanings say he'll be worth the money in the long run, but another injury or two...)

His contract calls for $4.5M in '09 (Age 32), $5M in '10 (Age 33), $5.5M in '11 (Age 34) so it's not all that bad. For a top set-up man even in this market you're probably talking $4-5M, maybe even a little more. Howry just signed for $2.5M in '09, $4M in '10, $4M in '11 and that was reported as a bargain, and he's not even a top set-up man.

The reason Linebrink's contract was ripped a bit was probably because of his poor second half of '07 with the Brew Crew. Had he been preforming up to his usual standards it probably would have been viewed as a solid deal at market value, not above it. Of course who knows whether the Cards would actually consider that, but just thinking out loud.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
On the surface it is highway robbery for the Braves, but they were rumored to be offering Schafer in the Peavy deal, and now the Peavy deal seems dead. With Gregor Blanco emerging for them last year, a Schafer + Hermida deal could be a nice move for the Royals (although they already have a bunch of outfielders).

^Meant Francouer, not Hermida. I always get Hermida and Francouer confused because they were both highly-touted and came up together.