Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowley is on the Score.

Despite what he wrote this morning, it doesn't sound like Dye will get moved unless he gets a better offer than Bailey.

Anything we've heard about Jenks is likely not true. There's no interest in moving him.

Doesn't look like an FA's will be signed, even if Dye is traded.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
Cowley is on the Score.

Despite what he wrote this morning, it doesn't sound like Dye will get moved unless he gets a better offer than Bailey.

Anything we've heard about Jenks is likely not true. There's no interest in moving him.

Cowley is further away from actual fact regarding trades/signings and dealing with KW than some of the people on this board. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

And why would the Phils and the O's want to help the Cubs pull off one of the bigger pitching rip offs in recent memory? Pie will be non-tendered before the regular season, why trade for him? Why would the Phils want to make the Cubs stronger? The deal makes no sense especially since the O's didnt know about the "framework". I think its the media pushing the deal once again.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
Cowley is on the Score.

Cowley has proven to be nearly useless in this kind of thing. He knows nothing. The organization despises him, as far as I can tell.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
A little late, but that Greinke/Francoeur rumor can't be true can it? That's a ridiculous steal.

I just said the same thing to Zoom.

"Steve: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has heard that the Royals and Braves are in serious discussions about a trade that would swap Jeff Francoeur for Zack Greinke.

Steve: the royals are idiots if they do that

ZoomSlowik: Francoer just isn't very good

Steve: he'll hit .270 with a .275 OBP"

I would assume something or a few things more would be going the Royals' way, though what the Braves have left is anyone's guess... JoJo Reyes!

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)
If the Cubs get Jake Peavy for a song and the White Sox start the year with Jeff Marquez in the rotation and a clown car filled with Fields/Owens/Betemit/Nix/Getz, I am just going to snap.

You could root for the Cubs?

I personally think the moves KW has made thus far were something the organization desperately needed if they wanted to avoid a 55-win season in 3 years.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
I would rather avoid Bradley's attitude, I just don't like him at all. Just my personal opinion, which I am sure most don't share.

But no doubt he could be a huge bat in the lineup.

If former "clubhouse cancer" Pierzynski ended up being one of the all-time favorite players among Sox fans, then the same could happen with Milton Bradley.

I think Bradley's controversy is more comparable to AJ rather than... say, OC.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
If former "clubhouse cancer" Pierzynski ended up being one of the all-time favorite players among Sox fans, then the same could happen with Milton Bradley.

I think Bradley's controversy is more comparable to AJ rather than... say, OC.

AJ never had any of the anger problems that Bradley has had. Not even close

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
AJ never had any of the anger problems that Bradley has had. Not even close

The guy put up an OBP of .436 and A SLG of .563., in a ballpark similar to the Cell, while being almost without incident last year. Clearly, he needs a strong support staff with him in Chicago, but I don’t think that would be a problem. He and Swish are different animals.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
You could root for the Cubs?

I personally think the moves KW has made thus far were something the organization desperately needed if they wanted to avoid a 55-win season in 3 years.

Oh no, I don't find that to be a reasonable reaction. But it would seriously make me reconsider the future of this franchise in the grand scheme of this baseball economy. The Cubs' owners are going through bankruptcy and they still have the flexibility to raise payroll by $30M (Peavy + a corner outfielder)? The White Sox cut nearly $40M and have no dollars to spend on any acquisitions? The Cubs' farm system has proven itself to be a wasteland, but Felix Pie (and others yeah I see that) is still enough to be the cornerstone prospect in a deal for one of the premier pitchers in the National League? Meanwhile we trade two players who were thought to be difference makers and in return receive NO prospects in the consensus top 75, one of whom is JEFF. MARQUEZ.

So yeah, it's a trend which could cause me to go a little nuts. But hey, it's still early December. Let's make things happen.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
The guy put up an OBP of .436 and A SLG of .563., in a ballpark similar to the Cell, while being almost without incident last year. Clearly, he needs a strong support staff with him in Chicago, but I don’t think that would be a problem. He and Swish are different animals.

why do you keep saying "almost without incident" as if thats a good thing? The guy has bigtime anger issues, and he isnt worth all of this "strong support staff" insulation from being an out of control maniac.

I think Bradley is a good hitter but will probably be overvalued.

He's coming off a great season ($) playing in the bandbox in Texas ($), but he can't play the field and stay healthy and we're set at DH. He's also a jerk, and look at how quickly everyone turned on Cabrera's act.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
why do you keep saying "almost without incident" as if thats a good thing? The guy has bigtime anger issues, and he isnt worth all of this "strong support staff" insulation from being an out of control maniac.

He’s a volatile personality, but he can be kept in check. A guy like Ozzie, and a GM like KW are the exact type of people who can help Bradley. Out. There was an incident last year where Bradley went after the Royals announcer for what he perceived as being a personal attack. Bradley was stopped by his friends on the team; afterwards he never took any ill-conceived action again. Milton Bradley can have a place in Chicago, the team certainly would have to make some accommodations (picking up a backup to spell him everyonce In a while), but his bat is just too potent to let go if you can get it. Remember AJ and Jenks had a history of incidents as well, and they’ve been fantastic additions to the team.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
He’s a volatile personality, but he can be kept in check. A guy like Ozzie, and a GM like KW are the exact type of people who can help Bradley. Out. There was an incident last year where Bradley went after the Royals announcer for what he perceived as being a personal attack. Bradley was stopped by his friends on the team; afterwards he never took any ill-conceived action again. Milton Bradley can have a place in Chicago, the team certainly would have to make some accommodations (picking up a backup to spell him everyonce In a while), but his bat is just too potent to let go if you can get it. Remember AJ and Jenks had a history of incidents as well, and they’ve been fantastic additions to the team.

i don't think anyone should assume that ozzie and bradley would get along. if he has rabbit ears to the point he's going after an announcer for a perceived attack, how's he going to react when ozzie sh1ts on him as would likely happen at some point of the season.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
If the Cubs get Jake Peavy for a song and the White Sox start the year with Jeff Marquez in the rotation and a clown car filled with Fields/Owens/Betemit/Nix/Getz, I am just going to snap.

Me too, and it would be a huge PR hit for the organization. As they were saying on the radio today, the average fan understands giving up Swisher and Vazquez, but if they give up Dye for another prospect, then you'll start to hear more outrage.

I’m not saying that Bradley’ll be a saint, It’s just possible that a coach like Ozzie with a dominate personality could be exactly what Bradley needs to offset his own. As for the fan response to the Dye trade, Would the reaction be any worse than when Lee was traded, or Fat Freddie? There’s not a Sox fan in the world who won’t be satisfied the 1st time Bailey strikes out 10 in a Chicago uni.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
I'm not saying that Bradley'll be a saint, It's just possible that a coach like Ozzie with a dominate personality could be exactly what Bradley needs to offset his own.

Cubs are in intense discussions to get Milton Bradley. Mercy, that team is going to have a bunch of assholes in the locker room, but spectacular talent on the field.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
Cubs are in intense discussions to get Milton Bradley. Mercy, that team is going to have a bunch of assholes in the locker room, but spectacular talent on the field.

It’s a brilliant move by the Cubs. They really need someone like Bradley who can shake up that clubhouse, and deflect all of the curse crap that reigns down annually.