Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
and at this rate, we wont sniff a playoff game for at least 5 years. I am not sayig its cubs v sox, but look waht they are doing up there and look what we are unloading down here.

A lot depends on who acquires them. As has been mentioned a boatload of times, the combination of Soriano, Dempster and Fukudome might be the worst triumvirate of long-term deals in the game to go sour simultaneously. I can't remember the particulars with Ramirez and D. Lee off the top of my head, but they've got huge commitments for the future, and even the Cubs' vaunted revenue streams will be challenged without a new ballpark and constant playoff disappointment.

In our own division, only Dontrelle Willis and Sheffield come close, but those guys aren't signed for nearly as many years as the Cubs' group.

and at this rate, we wont sniff a playoff game for at least 5 years. I am not sayig its cubs v sox, but look waht they are doing up there and look what we are unloading down here.

Chicken little, let it play out. Last year it was the same crap "Oh here comes 4th place everyone! Look at what Kenny is or isnt doing!"

Just let it play out. It is the second WEEK of december, and the second DAY of the winter meetings

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
We were a healthy Linebrink, a healthy Quentin, a better leadoff hitter, a healthy 2005-ish Crede (although I think we could have made it with Uribe, probably, the way he was playing defense and hitting there at the end) and exchanging a "bulldog" like Garland/Garcia as 4th for Vazquez away from being a World Series team.

You could probably also add in there "normal/career average" seasons from Konerko and Swisher respectively.

How about a Healthy Contreras? I think healthy Linebrink, Contreras, God might have done it. Even as a 4th starter down the stretch, Contreras would probably have shown some bigger cojones than Vazquez, and that would have given us so much more flexibility to dump Richard in to games that Vazquez started early, etc.

Ummm....that's what I would have said last year at this time as a Twins' fan.

We just gave up the best pitcher in the game for Carlos Gomez basically (at least to this point, Humber and Mulvey haven't done much), we lost our most important veteran leader in Torii Hunter, we've signed Livan Hernandez as our biggest offseason deal and Brad Radke has retired, yet somehow we're going to go down to the final game of the season + 1. Oh, yeah, and we've traded away what might have been our best young pitcher (along with Liriano), our underrated shortstop for "headcase" Delmon Young.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
Chicken little, let it play out. Last year it was the same crap "Oh here comes 4th place everyone! Look at what Kenny is or isnt doing!"

Just let it play out. It is the second WEEK of december, and the second DAY of the winter meetings

haha so true, i know that the prospects will be turned into something good. Kenny and I both hate prospects.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
How about a Healthy Contreras? I think healthy Linebrink, Contreras, God might have done it. Even as a 4th starter down the stretch, Contreras would probably have shown some bigger cojones than Vazquez, and that would have given us so much more flexibility to dump Richard in to games that Vazquez started early, etc.

I dont know about God. In close to late situations he is horrible

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
I dont know about God. In close to late situations he is horrible

??? Close and late last year he had an OPS of 1.205. He was a healthy wrist away from being able to replace Andy Pettitte's "Oh My God" in my mind with another image.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
??? Close and late last year he had an OPS of 1.205. He was a healthy wrist away from being able to replace Andy Pettitte's "Oh My God" in my mind with another image.

I wasnt talking about Quentin, lol

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)

Forgot about him going down with the Achilles' injury in that Red Sox series. I was saying to myself at that exact point in time, the White Sox chances this season are toast...

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with you. Bailey was on of the top prospects in baseball just a year ago.

Some people may want more of a sure thing in 2009 for the back end of the rotation.

Bailey may still need another season (e.g what Floyd first went through in 2007) to get everything together.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
I think its pretty obvious KW has someone ready to sign for big money or the White Sox are having serious financial issues and Dye's contract needs to get off the books.

I'm hoping it's the former, but in the current economic crisis, who knows what the Sox Brass may have done with the money that they may have made over the past few seasons (invest in the sharemarket for instance, which has gone downhill to say the least).

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
What?

I was talking about the omnipotent being, God. Not Quentin. It was funny in my little world

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
TCQ is a perfectly fine short way of saying Carlos Quentin. Can we stop using "God" before something bad happens. It reminds me of the "UNSINKABLE" Titanic.

Which is why I made the joke

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
Listening to the Score (Murph is awful), and these idiots think DeRosa is more valuable to the Cubs than Peavy.

Here's Mike Murphy

He's the Man with the worst on the Score

Here's Mike Murphy

He's a cubbie loving blow hard nothing more

When he comes on the radio

Hurry turn it off off off off

Here's Mike Murphy

He's the Man with the worst on the score

Mike Murphy Sucks

wah wah wah

Murphy Sucks

wah wha wha

MURPHY SUCKS!!

Brought to you by Brown's f****** Chicken

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
I'm hoping it's the former, but in the current economic crisis, who knows what the Sox Brass may have done with the money that they may have made over the past few seasons (invest in the sharemarket for instance, which has gone downhill to say the least).

The way that I understood JR was making money was off of the increasing value of the team, esp. after the renovations to the ballpark and the 05 season. The additional revenues from attendance and merchandise were going back in to the team, while JR was still making money off of the increasing value of the team and its assets.

Not only are we expecting a decline in revenue due to the general state of the economy next year...but you have to figure that the value of the assets he now holds has significantly decreased. The team's value has probably dropped by some percentage, and more so, tangible assets like the ballpark would have dropped significantly as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
The way that I understood JR was making money was off of the increasing value of the team, esp. after the renovations to the ballpark and the 05 season. The additional revenues from attendance and merchandise were going back in to the team, while JR was still making money off of the increasing value of the team and its assets.

Not only are we expecting a decline in revenue due to the general state of the economy next year...but you have to figure that the value of the assets he now holds has significantly decreased. The team's value has probably dropped by some percentage, and more so, tangible assets like the ballpark would have dropped significantly as well.

The Sox do not own the ballpark. The Illinois Sports Authority does.

Since when has running the White Sox ever been presented to us as anything but trying to break even or not dip into the personal wealth of any of the managing directors?

To speculate about losing on investments or the stock market or real estate being the cause of a "firesale" is a bit premature.

Has Williams done anything illogical that none of would have done were we in the same situation?

If Dye actually is traded and we go with our current roster without any additions to the mix, then you MIGHT have a point. You also have to consider how far we were over budget (compared to attendance) in 2007 and 2008...I'm guessing the team spent more money than it made both of the last two seasons.