Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

Rosenthal Updates

2:42 p.m. — A's show interest in Cabrera

The A's, who last week withdrew their four-year offer to Rafael Furcal, met late Monday night with the agents for another leading free-agent shortstop — Orlando Cabrera. The team's interest in Cabrera, however, is "very limited," according to one source, "mild at best."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
Rosenthal Updates

2:42 p.m. — A's show interest in Cabrera

The A's, who last week withdrew their four-year offer to Rafael Furcal, met late Monday night with the agents for another leading free-agent shortstop — Orlando Cabrera. The team's interest in Cabrera, however, is "very limited," according to one source, "mild at best."

That's what I've heard about almost every teams' interest in him. I think he and/or his agent made a huge financial mistake rejecting arbitration.

So if they missed the playoffs, the White Sox would have also traded Konerko/Thome, Buehrle and AJ away as well?

Up until now, everything that I've seen is pretty logical and consistent with KW's philosophies about getting younger/more affordable/more flexibility without giving up a chance to be competitive in our division this year or into the future.

After 2007, it looked like it would be at least 3-5 years before the ballclub could win another division title. I also think we're temporarily forgetting about Poreda, Viciedo (biggest FA signing for an under 21 year old in history), Flowers, Jord. Danks and Beckham looming, not to mention Brandon Allen and all the draft picks in 2009.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
That's what I've heard about almost every teams' interest in him. I think he and/or his agent made a huge financial mistake rejecting arbitration.

Have you sent your personlized "thank you/Christmas" card to KW yet? It shouldn't be THAT surprising though....out of all those guys, only two "middling" relief pitchers accepted arbitration. Cabrera's ego is too big to swallow his pride like that, especially with countryman Renteria getting 2 years and $18.5 million from SFG.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
Since when has running the White Sox ever been presented to us as anything but trying to break even or not dip into the personal wealth of any of the managing directors?

To speculate about losing on investments or the stock market or real estate being the cause of a "firesale" is a bit premature.

Has Williams done anything illogical that none of would have done were we in the same situation?

If Dye actually is traded and we go with our current roster without any additions to the mix, then you MIGHT have a point. You also have to consider how far we were over budget (compared to attendance) in 2007 and 2008...I'm guessing the team spent more money than it made both of the last two seasons.

According to Forbes, the White Sox pulled a profit in 2007. In fact, the value of the team in their estimation rose $60 million even after a disasterous 2007 season.Haven't heard anything about 2008, but it is way too early to determine what is going on. The chances of the payroll being $45 or even $30 million lower in 2009 is very slim IMO. If it turns out it is, then the eyebrows should be raised, especially season ticketholders who had money held hostage and were basically forced to accept price increases without knowing the team intended to spend that much less on its product.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)

Not necessarily since the contract would not have been guaranteed with the Sox and I'm pretty sure KW didn't want him. If KW don't want you, pack your bags even if you are a Hall of Famer wearing 35. I don't completely understand why I dislike Cabrera so much. The argument with Dye sealed it, but I didn't like him even before that. I really want him to play for the Twins.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)

I think he made a huge financial mistake by acting like a jackass in a city that actually pays attention to its baseball players. He would have had a contract extension before the market collapsed or could have left with a better reputation. Now all the bad news is out there and it cost him.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
Would anybody be willing to send me a text if the Sox make a move so I can stop checking in here every 20 minutes and actually do what I have to get done?

No way dude. Sit here and hit refresh like the rest of us. I hear ya. I'm going to have to attempt to be a productive human for a while myself.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
Not necessarily since the contract would not have been guaranteed with the Sox and I'm pretty sure KW didn't want him. If KW don't want you, pack your bags even if you are a Hall of Famer wearing 35. I don't completely understand why I dislike Cabrera so much. The argument with Dye sealed it, but I didn't like him even before that. I really want him to play for the Twins.

If they released him for any reason other than his skills declining, they would wind up having to pay him. Todd Walker was released by SD in spring training when he was hitting .225. He filed a grievance and signed a minor league deal with Oakland. Played with the A's and was horrible and wound up getting released by them. It was pretty hard to win a grievance arguing your skills warranted your release when you sign with another team and they release you. If OC got released by the Sox, another team could pick him up and if he plays like he always has, the Sox would have a problem.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
I think he made a huge financial mistake by acting like a jackass in a city that actually pays attention to its baseball players. He would have had a contract extension before the market collapsed or could have left with a better reputation. Now all the bad news is out there and it cost him.

KW wanted to give him an extension before he ever took the field with the Sox, but OC wasn't interested. I still would love to know what kind of contract KW was talking about or had in mind.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
According to Forbes, the White Sox pulled a profit in 2007. In fact, the value of the team in their estimation rose $60 million even after a disasterous 2007 season.Haven't heard anything about 2008, but it is way too early to determine what is going on. The chances of the payroll being $45 or even $30 million lower in 2009 is very slim IMO. If it turns out it is, then the eyebrows should be raised, especially season ticketholders who had money held hostage and were basically forced to accept price increases without knowing the team intended to spend that much less on its product.

The value of the team is meaningless unless the team is sold. It does not factor in the money flow in or out of the organization unless JR used the value of the team as equity to borrow against the value.

you cannot pay a player with the value of the franchise. It needs to be the revenue that is generated.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
Its better than giving up your top prospect for a guy with a screw in his right elbow, but K-Rod was ridden hard last season. The only thing that may save him from a dissappointing 2009 IMO, is the move to the NL.

I totally agree. you may have made a bad investment in a guy if he breaks down but you didn't hurt future growth of the team as much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
KW wanted to give him an extension before he ever took the field with the Sox, but OC wasn't interested. I still would love to know what kind of contract KW was talking about or had in mind.

We got lucky with OC's big ego there. He would've been tough to move in this market.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
The value of the team is meaningless unless the team is sold. It does not factor in the money flow in or out of the organization unless JR used the value of the team as equity to borrow against the value.

you cannot pay a player with the value of the franchise. It needs to be the revenue that is generated.

They also had them making a profit in 2007. If they had lost money that season, I don't think you would have seen the contracts handed out for Linebrink, and Dotel nor the offers for Hunter and Fukudome.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
I had heard that the Sox were willing to offer 4/32 to OC

Fortunately, Alexei Ramirez is about $27-28 million cheaper.

I go back to KW's quotes from Monday...he's past the point as a GM that he's trying to "sell the team," do spin/PR or convince anyone (especially the media or SoxFest) that he's right. We might all have a problem with Kenny Williams, but that's not going to factor into his thinking, ever. It's just not the way he thinks, which is kind of refreshing, to see that kind of trust and independence because of the relationship he's forged with JR and Ozzie.

Edited by caulfield12

Jesus Christ...

1:10pm: Roman Modrowski of the Chicago Sun-Times says Peavy sang "Go Cubs, Go" at a Vegas bar last night. Good times.

f*** you, Jake Peavy. I hope you lose your arm somewhere up Eddie Vedder's overrated ass.

And...

Also, Modrowski believes the Cubs would be willing to eat as much as $6MM of Marquis' $9.875MM.

If they're going to eat that much of his contract, and then take back an arb-eligible player probably making just as much, how is that trimming salary? All the other GM's are playing this game on Level: Difficult, meanwhile Jim Hendry is the retard in the propellered hat working on Easy Mode with a list of cheat codes in front of him.