Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
Jesus Christ...

f*** you, Jake Peavy. I hope you lose your arm somewhere up Eddie Vedder's overrated ass.

And...

If they're going to eat that much of his contract, and then take back an arb-eligible player probably making just as much, how is that trimming salary? All the other GM's are playing this game on Level: Difficult, meanwhile Jim Hendry is the retard in the propellered hat working on Easy Mode with a list of cheat codes in front of him.

Being a Tribune employee must really be great right now. Your basically f***ed out of all the money you throw into the employee stock plan, but one of your satellite companies apparently has free reign to throw money around like its nothing. How about a guy like Sam Smith? He takes a buyout, unless he was paid in one lump sum, which I doubt, he's screwed, but the Cubbies still can pay someone $6 million to pitch for another team. Sweet.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
They also had them making a profit in 2007. If they had lost money that season, I don't think you would have seen the contracts handed out for Linebrink, and Dotel nor the offers for Hunter and Fukudome.

I'm not saying they made or lost money, I didn't see the article. I'm just saying that franchise value has nothing to do with operating capital. The partners of the White sox (of which JR owns around 10%) will make money when they sell it.

However, an increase in the value of the franchise does not mean they made a profit last year.

Don't know if this effects Dye / Bailey rumor or not.

Rosenthal with more info

The Reds have reached preliminary agreement with the Orioles on a trade that will send catcher Ramon Hernandez to Cincinnati for outfielder Ryan Freel and two prospects, according to a major-league source.

The deal is pending the approval of the commissioner's office, because it involves a cash transaction of more than $1 million.

Rosenthal Keeping the updates coming

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
Don't know if this effects Dye / Bailey rumor or not.

Rosenthal with more info

Rosenthal Keeping the updates coming

Well, it certainly does...in that Cinci has now filled 1 of their 2 biggest holes for next year, the fact that their catchers were all backups, and now may be a RH OF bat away from being genuinely able to compete with the top teams next year.

Now the question becomes...how much do they want to spend.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
The sox need to compete every year for the division. Sox fans aren't going to wait for a 3 year building project. If they go that route, the death-spiral will begin.....lower attendance leads to lower salary leads to lower attendance ..on and on until we're a "small market" team again.

Agreed, especially with a world series so recently and the 900 pount gorilla 8 miles north.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
The sox need to compete every year for the division. Sox fans aren't going to wait for a 3 year building project. If they go that route, the death-spiral will begin.....lower attendance leads to lower salary leads to lower attendance ..on and on until we're a "small market" team again.

Which is why you never see KW do a "rebuilding" year, and you won't this year either.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)

This is the best post in weeks.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
Apparently, the Reds bartered the Orioles into giving them more money in the deal. How best can they spend the money? You tell me…

Unless the Reds just don't have any money.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
I just hope you're right. But if the Sox were serious about signing any free agents, I think we would have heard something. These things leak out.

Not really. Sometimes leaked stuff happens, but often, especially with the Sox, the deals are not leaked - they just happen.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
Jesus Christ...

f*** you, Jake Peavy. I hope you lose your arm somewhere up Eddie Vedder's overrated ass.

And...

If they're going to eat that much of his contract, and then take back an arb-eligible player probably making just as much, how is that trimming salary? All the other GM's are playing this game on Level: Difficult, meanwhile Jim Hendry is the retard in the propellered hat working on Easy Mode with a list of cheat codes in front of him.

That Peavy report is 100 percent false. Cubs fans trying to make waves.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
For predicting something that doesn't happen, and won't happen?

For establishing again why it's vital that KW shut up in the press and focus on improving this team for 2009. He's done enough for the long term health of this organization, but there's holes to fill for this current team.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
I just hope you're right. But if the Sox were serious about signing any free agents, I think we would have heard something. These things leak out.

Especially after the intelligent moves made thus far this offseason, the only FA's who really fit this team's current structure would be back of the rotation starters, and right now the market for them isn't even close to set, given that the top of the line guys still haven't signed.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
For establishing again why it's vital that KW shut up in the press and focus on improving this team for 2009. He's done enough for the long term health of this organization, but there's holes to fill for this current team.

You know, sometimes it amazes me how much fans allow themselves to get caught up in believing the words that come out of Kenny's mouth.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)

Well the Sox did terribly in 2007 and KW did something about it.

We did well last season, and it didn't seem that the bad year we had in 2007 really negatively impacted our attendance for 2008 IIRC.

Don't know if this was posted but this is from Stark:

Stuff can change fast at the winter meetings. Contrary to what I reported Monday morning on this very blog, there were indications Monday night that Tampa Bay was still talking to the Twins about a deal that would bring outfielder Delmon Young back to the Rays.

Tampa Bay likely would deal away either Andy Sonnanstine or Edwin Jackson. But the trade could also involve a third team because the Twins aren't looking to add starting pitching.

With the Twins on the verge of losing out on their pursuit of Casey Blake, Colorado could provide an interesting alternative. The Twins have had interest all winter in acquiring Rockies third baseman Garrett Atkins, but they haven't been able to find a package that would motivate the Rockies to move him. But Colorado is looking to add pitching, so the presence of Sonnanstine or Jackson could change the equation.

Linky

Tampa has been discussed in the Dye sweepstakes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
You know, sometimes it amazes me how much fans allow themselves to get caught up in believing the words that come out of Kenny's mouth.

Trust me, I do my best not to. I know better than to believe him that Owens will start in CF for this team. I just think that with the recent trades of Swisher/Vazquez and Dye's possible trade, he's going to have some PR to do with the average Sox fan.