Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
would you do dye for sonnanstine?

I wouldnt, no. And I dont think KW would either.

He has had several NL teams with good farm systems show interest, if they dont push the trade talks then KW will start the season with Dye in RF.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
would you do dye for sonnanstine?

No. Sonnanstine is only good against the Sox. He's not a good pitcher and certainly not what KW is looking for in a trade for Dye.

This last one was stupid (no surprise). From MLB Trade Rumors:

Rangers Like Chocolate Chip Cookies

By Tim Dierkes [December 9 at 3:01pm CST]

Some chatter today about chocolate chip cookies today. Rangers president Nolan Ryan admitted to interest, but Theo Epstein also likes them tremendously. Ryan's quote was a tad presumptuous:

I think chocolate chip cookies are real yummy. Obviously being baked in Texas we think they would look really good in our Texas bellies.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
If the Cubs sign Rich Aurilia, will that get the front page on the Tribune today over Blago's arrest?

No, because there will be a huge picture of ugly Jim Hendry with the headline "Hendry ALMOST pulls the string on a Peavy trade, will think more tomorrow"

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
I hear that Kenny hasnt even been discussing trades with other GM's and has spent most of his time on the phone with a small number of agents for FA's.

!!!

Can't hardly wait to see what transpires. They've cut so much payroll, they have to spend some of it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
I hear that Kenny hasnt even been discussing trades with other GM's and has spent most of his time on the phone with a small number of agents for FA's.

Brad Penny and Brian Anderson preparing to reunite and have another night out on the town.

I think we're looking at Abreu (LF) and Penny (4th starter, with Richard/Marquez 5th) in the FA market.

When he does get around to trades, I think if KW can flip Fields and a low level spect to the Marlins for Hermida, he will, especially if Dye is dealt.

He'll also explore a trade for Brian Roberts but the price will be too high...he may still pull the trigger.

As a last resort, if he doesn't get Roberts, he'll look to get Tavares for Broadway and he'll start in CF and lead-off (ugh!).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
Hahn could be discussing trades.

Doesn't Hahn do the majority of negotiations? So wouldn't he be the one talking with the agents for the most part regarding FA's? Or at least that was always my understanding based upon things I've been told.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
Hahn could be discussing trades.

Seems counterintuitive as KW is the "scout" and wheeler and dealer while Hahn is more of the numbers guy. I would think Hahn would be talking to player agents and KW working the GM route in "listening mode."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
Doesn't Hahn do the majority of negotiations? So wouldn't he be the one talking with the agents for the most part regarding FA's? Or at least that was always my understanding based upon things I've been told.

When it comes down to the contracts, yes. But KW still does much of the planning and initial discovery.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
Seems counterintuitive as KW is the "scout" and wheeler and dealer while Hahn is more of the numbers guy. I would think Hahn would be talking to player agents and KW working the GM route in "listening mode."

I think the Sox have a couple preliminary guys in Vegas. I think Hahn might be doing that right now. I read where KW gave his "guys" strategies for their discussions. I think Hahn wants to be a GM someday. Just negotiating contracts isn't going to get him a job. I'm sure he's been involved in trade discussions before.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
I think the Sox have a couple preliminary guys in Vegas. I think Hahn might be doing that right now. I read where KW gave his "guys" strategies for their discussions. I think Hahn wants to be a GM someday. Just negotiating contracts isn't going to get him a job. I'm sure he's been involved in trade discussions before.

That's a good point. As a good boss, KW has to give his guys and opportunity to experience different opportunities.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)
qwertyworld says that the Sox might be in the running for Ramon Vazquez as a utility infielder. Apparently they missed it when the Sox traded for Lillibridge and Betemit while also having Getz in the system too.

Anyways, that would be a more than disappointing signing.

That was cute!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)

Just reporting what I heard.