Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
I'd guess that the Cubs are the only team willing to pick up the $22M option for Peavy to waive his NTC. That would limit the suitors real quick.

I was just thinking why the Sox weren't looking at getting Peavy.....then you just reminded me why...$22M option.. YIKES.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
I have no idea where that team could possibly be finding this much money with all the other contracts they have.

Unless Peavy REALLY wants to play for the Cubs, and he might, he's got to be dangling that option.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
Unless Peavy REALLY wants to play for the Cubs, and he might, he's got to be dangling that option.

Supposedly, he really, really wants to play for them. I have no idea why, as the cold weather will be hell on his fragile elbow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
Supposedly, he really, really wants to play for them. I have no idea why, as the cold weather will be hell on his fragile elbow.

But the Cubs have an excellent record of keeping...(Bites tongue)....their pitchers...(Coughs)....health....(Bursts in to laughter)

Damnit, couldn't even type it without losing it.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
Thats actually not what I have heard at all.

Towers is in a real tough spot. The owner is the one telling Towers to move Peavy, but supposedly most of the baseball people with the Pads love Peavy(for obvious reasons). Towers and his staff have to find a deal that is an acceptable return, which becomes difficult when every GM across the league knows Towers has been told to trade Jake.

If Towers trades Peavy for a bad package, and the team wins 200 games the next 3 years, he knows it's going to cost him and his staff their jobs.

Yup and thats because Towers (correct me if Im wrong) is the one that handled the negotiations with Peavy and his agent. So Towers is on the hook for that ridiculous option and the NTC.

Peavy is sitting pretty in the drivers seat with that deal so he should be kissing his agents butt for that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)

I feel like there is a correlation between that option and the lack of talent going to the Padres. I don't know what it is though.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
Thats actually not what I have heard at all.

Towers is in a real tough spot. The owner is the one telling Towers to move Peavy, but supposedly most of the baseball people with the Pads love Peavy(for obvious reasons). Towers and his staff have to find a deal that is an acceptable return, which becomes difficult when every GM across the league knows Towers has been told to trade Jake.

If Towers trades Peavy for a bad package, and the team wins 200 games the next 3 years, he knows it's going to cost him and his staff their jobs.

When I say he wants to trade him... that's not personal of course. I'm sure they love him down there. Who wouldn't the way he's played for them?

But after his rather reasonable 2009 option season, his new 3 year/$52 M contract (incl. $4M buyout) kicks in. Yikes.

The way I'm thinking about it is that if Towers is going to get any value in trade, he better do it now.

After 2009, whoever trades for him would be much less likely to give up talent, IMO, since they would be paying a much bigger freight.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
After 2009, whoever trades for him would be much less likely to give up talent, IMO, since they would be paying a much bigger freight.

I think it's actually the opposite if you take the economy in to account. No matter who deals for him, they're adding the extra money in to their calculation and figuring this guy is a $15 mil + pitcher every year after this one that we'd be committing to. If I'm a team in need of a starter, let's just use the Mets or the Braves...until I know more how the economy is going to affect my revenues, that's a cost that I'm just not sure I can take on. If attendance drops significantly after I trade for the guy even if I put a winner out there, I'm in real trouble. Or if Citi Field suddenly loses its name. Etc.

Between guys like Cabrera thinking seriously about accepting arbitration, the contract offers being given to Furcal, formerly free spending teams like the Tigers going cheap, teams like the Padres under orders to cut salary at all costs, I think that the economy right now is just dominating decisions on trades and the FA market. Aside from the Yankees and the Cubs, it seems no one has any money to spend this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
Between guys like Cabrera thinking seriously about accepting arbitration, the contract offers being given to Furcal, formerly free spending teams like the Tigers going cheap, teams like the Padres under orders to cut salary at all costs, I think that the economy right now is just dominating decisions on trades and the FA market. Aside from the Yankees and the Cubs, it seems no one has any money to spend this year.

Agreed. I still can't believe the years & $ the Cards gave to Loshe.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)

the cubs have turned into the redwings of baseball. people want to play for them and may even take less. They all want to be part of history. I literally hate the Cubs. There fans, team, ballpark and players sicken me. If Peavy ends up there for little in return, I wish him a dead arm.

Found this interesting over at mlbtraderumors...

Both Peter Gammons and Ken Rosenthal are saying the Rangers could still trade another catcher (for a young starter). Gammons cites Salty specifically.

The Sox have an opening for a back up catcher. Not sure how young of a pitcher the Rangers are looking for but they could be interested in a guy like Marquez who throws a sinker. It might take more than Marquez but worth looking into since AJ is under contract through 2010.

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
Found this interesting over at mlbtraderumors...

The Sox have an opening for a back up catcher. Not sure how young of a pitcher the Rangers are looking for but they could be interested in a guy like Marquez who throws a sinker. It might take more than Marquez but worth looking into since AJ is under contract through 2010.

Man, getting Salty would be awesome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
I have no interest in wasting my tradeable talent right now on a catcher, not after trading for Flowers.

Thing is Flowers has been kocked for his defense. Not that he cant improve but if Flowers cannot he can be a 1B or if he does improve then Salty can DH for Thome when he's gone or play 1B when Paulie's gone. Im sure we could find room for him. You're tho, we are short as it is on young MLB ready pitchers so at this time it's not the best idea but if a trade like the Bailey rumor or something like it were to happen then we could afford to trade 1 young pitcher.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
for conversation sake any hints on where crede ends up? San fran maybe? Just seems like the market will dwindle on him rapidly. having Boras makes things worse.

That would be my guess. SF is pretty desperate for a 3B and a power bat which Crede would provide if he can stay healthy. Thats a big IF tho.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
Corky Miller is one of the worst hitting players I've seen in the majors.

If its actually possible to downgrade from Toby Hall, KW would do it with Corky Miller, although he is good defensively. The problem is AJ would get few days off if the didn't carry 3 catchers because Corky would have to get PH for several times a year.