Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
Have you included Viciedo? I ask because supposedly that's not official yet.

No. When he signs we should be a little under $91M not including any money Philly may be sending our way for Thome and estimating the salaries of Jenks and Betemit.

I don't know why anyone's surprised we are not going after Furcal.

Alexei Ramirez is younger than Furcal and will be making little over $1 million for year to play that "premium" position for three more seasons. Alas, Alexei is not a leadoff hitter (at this point, and probably ever), but KW still has 2-3 months to work on CF and the rotation.

I'm "pretty" convinced KW will actually go with Fields at 3B (at least to start the season) and our 2B-by-committee approach instead of trading away any of our top prospects for a one-year Roberts rental (theoretically with Type A draft pick compensation).

The wild card in this entire situation is Viciedo, and the possible early breakthrough of Beckham as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
I don't know why anyone's surprised we are not going after Furcal.

Alexei Ramirez is younger than Furcal and will be making little over $1 million for year to play that "premium" position for three more seasons. Alas, Alexei is not a leadoff hitter (at this point, and probably ever), but KW still has 2-3 months to work on CF and the rotation.

I'm "pretty" convinced KW will actually go with Fields at 3B (at least to start the season) and our 2B-by-committee approach instead of trading away any of our top prospects for a one-year Roberts rental (theoretically with Type A draft pick compensation).

The wild card in this entire situation is Viciedo, and the possible early breakthrough of Beckham as well.

It's not that I'm surprised I just would love Furcal in our lineup, kinda playing GM here.

Roberts makes sense but I don't think Orioles want anything from us for him, then again they don't know what they want.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
He really doesn't anymore with the stockpile of 2nd basemen Williams has assembled.

Furcal makes sense because of the HUGE hole still in CF.

I'm not following, simply because Furcal is a SS and Alexei is playing SS for us this year. (If we believe what Kenny says)

I'm fine with infield Konerko, Getz/Lilibridge, Alexei, Fields only if we invest in a true leadoff CF and SP, I'm not sure who's still available.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
He really doesn't anymore with the stockpile of 2nd basemen Williams has assembled.

Furcal makes sense because of the HUGE hole still in CF.

Furcal is a SS. How does he make any more sense then Roberts, who's also an IF? Keep in mind that i want neither player.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
and some more from Cowley:

Josh Fields has requested to work out with Ozzie and Joey Cora starting in Jan. down in Miami. The goal is to improve his defense.

I like that attitude, although I wouldn't expect any different from a former QB. Say what you will about Fields and his defense and his high strikeout totals, he is a hard worker.

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
and some more from Cowley:

Josh Fields has requested to work out with Ozzie and Joey Cora starting in Jan. down in Miami. The goal is to improve his defense.

I have a feeling somebody from the organization advised Fields on how to get on Ozzie’s good side. Because this is just a genius move by him to get back into good graces.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:50 AM)
It makes me sad it has come to this, but I would rather Taveras lead off than Owens.

Ugh.

If it's Taveras leading off with the rest of this current roster, it won't even matter. I do agree though, I'd rather have Taveras than Owens.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
I think the leadoff position is going to be filled by the CF position, and let's hope it's not Taveras.

I agree. I think that will be KW's lone pickup for the rest of the offseason. Although I have no idea who it will be.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
I think the leadoff position is going to be filled by the CF position, and let's hope it's not Taveras.

I'm starting to think it's going to be Lillibridge. I've been watching the kid, and i think assuming he has a good spring training Ozzie's gonna fall in love with the guy.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:51 AM)
I'm starting to think it's going to be Lillibridge. I've been watching the kid, and i think assuming he has a good spring training Ozzie's gonna fall in love with the guy.

Let's hope he's not. No offense, but everyone looks good on their highlight videos. People that saw him live last year thought he was one of the worst hitters in the league.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
I have a feeling somebody from the organization advised Fields on how to get on Ozzie’s good side. Because this is just a genius move by him to get back into good graces.

Why was he ever out of their good graces? He was banged up much of last year.

Fields is a good kid and works his tail off...his defense DID improve from in the minors, although he struggled some with the Sox. He has good feet, is instictive and is a hard worker...I HONESTLY believe that Fields can make himself into a very servicable defensive third baseman...if he hits .260 with 30+ homers and 10-15 steals (possible) while improving his K-rate, he will have an excellent career.